• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2017

quiet1

Last night I tried this All Jacked Up. Mezcal, sweet vermouth, Lairds apple brandy, Fernet Branca, maraschino, apple garnish.

I had to resort to the Applejack I had on hand, though the spec (despite the cocktail's name) calls for pure apple brandy. 

If you like apple drinks (and probably especially if you have the real Laird's) this is worth a try--I found the balance to be just right with the complexity leant by smoky mezcal and menthol/bitter fernet. 

Mostly I'm proud of my first apple fan!

alljackedup 1.png

• Like 7

Oceanside (Erick Castro via Food & Wine)

2 oz Four Pillars rare dry gin

1 oz lime juice

3/4 oz simple syrup 

Berg & Hauck celery bitters

Mint

Pinch of salt

Oceanside with gin, lime juice, simple syrup, celery bitters, mint, salt

I love this drink! It's savory and interesting. The Four Pillars was fabulous in it!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Oceanside (Erick Castro via Food & Wine)

2 oz Four Pillars rare dry gin

1 oz lime juice

3/4 oz simple syrup 

Berg & Hauck celery bitters

Mint

Pinch of salt

Oceanside with gin, lime juice, simple syrup, celery bitters, mint, salt

I love this drink! It's savory and interesting. The Four Pillars was fabulous in it!

Beautiful!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

Black Lodge: Michter's rye (Crown Royal rye), Cynar, Combier Rouge (Tattersall Sour Cherry), Carpano Antica, Regan's orange bitters, orange twist. 

I don't know how my local cherry liqueur compares to Combier Rouge (which I've never had), but here it dominated the taste. I felt like the bitter finish of Cynar pulled out strong real cherry flavor, with a kind of metallic aspect at the end, in an interesting and not unpleasant way. 

I have liked rye + Cynar + cherry liqueur previously in To Hell with Spain and, more simply, Slippery Slope

blacklodge 1.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Craig E said:

Black Lodge: Michter's rye (Crown Royal rye), Cynar, Combier Rouge (Tattersall Sour Cherry), Carpano Antica, Regan's orange bitters, orange twist. 

I don't know how my local cherry liqueur compares to Combier Rouge (which I've never had), but here it dominated the taste. I felt like the bitter finish of Cynar pulled out strong real cherry flavor, with a kind of metallic aspect at the end, in an interesting and not unpleasant way. 

I have liked rye + Cynar + cherry liqueur previously in To Hell with Spain and, more simply, Slippery Slope

I'm always a bit hesitant going in with boozy drinks that contain cherry. I fear the glass o' cough syrup effect. But thanks for posting these, it gives me some more to explore. The Slippery Slope page led to the Zara-ism which replaces the rye with bourbon and the 1/2 oz of Cynar with 1/4 oz of orgeat. The hint of almond with the cherry should be a natural so I may give it a shot as well.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'm always a bit hesitant going in with boozy drinks that contain cherry. I fear the glass o' cough syrup effect. But thanks for posting these, it gives me some more to explore. The Slippery Slope page led to the Zara-ism which replaces the rye with bourbon and the 1/2 oz of Cynar with 1/4 oz of orgeat. The hint of almond with the cherry should be a natural so I may give it a shot as well.

It depends what sort of cherry liqueur you use. I use the Luxardo one (Sangue Morlacco) and it doesn't taste like cough syrup. More like boozy, super ripe dark cherries.

• Like 1

I have been cooking from Ottolenghi books recently, including a few cocktails from his book, NOPI.  I found them all interesting to drink.  Recipes for the first 5 are available online here.

Coriander and Ginger Martini - Georgie Thorp

IMG_5610.thumb.jpg.f8420c11e6e17ac188e2973e7a112716.jpg

This one calls for ginger syrup, vodka, lime juice, lightly toasted coriander seeds and fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves.

I'm not a big fan of vodka drinks so I made this with a reposado tequila.  I'd call it a Coriander & Ginger Margarita.  The freshly made ginger syrup was quite potent. 

Chile Fino Old Fashioned - Georgie Thorp

IMG_5663.thumb.jpg.d7eb16015114fdf72a1239a53ec5f4be.jpg

Chile-infused Añejo Sotol (I used a reposado sotol and infused with de árbol chiles), fino sherry, hazelnut liqueur and Angostura bitters.  I dialed back a little on the hazelnut liqueur so it just enhanced the nutty flavors of the sherry.  This is my favorite of the bunch.

Banana and Cardamom - Lukasz Rafacz

IMG_5651.thumb.jpg.887849f1ddb469690339af63501882ac.jpg

Muddled banana slices, a LOT of cardamom (10 pods/serving), Bob’s cardamom bitters (I used the option of extra cardamom), Flor de Caña white rum, Velvet Falernum liqueur (I used homemade falernum), cardamom honey, unfiltered apple juice (I substituted pineapple juice) and lime juice.  I thought this would be terribly sweet and it was indeed sweet but still pleasant.  My homemade falernum contributed a lot of spicy flavors which helped out.

Saffron Chase - Niall Downey

IMG_5486.thumb.jpg.72f4fdc2866f8acef8e4b3d025806496.jpg

This calls for Chase gin & elderflower liqueur, lemon juice, saffron syrup and champagne.  I used Sipsmith gin, Bertina elderflower liqueur and a California brut sparkling wine. This would be a good brunch cocktail.  The saffron threads look pretty and the drink is a beautiful deep golden color.

Sumac Martini - Lukasz Rafacz

IMG_5506.thumb.jpg.106b34388b6cc5a9738fb65909eb538a.jpg

The recipe calls for sumac-infused vodka, Velvet Falernum (I subbed homemade falernum), lime juice, pomegranate juice and garnishes with a pinch of sumac.  I tried this as written and it was pleasant.  Then I used white rum for the sumac-infusion and liked it much better.  

Pineapple & Sage Martini - Niall Downey (recipe available online here)

IMG_5399.thumb.jpg.3bee9db3f1e165da3040f534f6f5b0c3.jpg

I found this to be the fussiest of these recipes with a roasted pineapple purée made by roasting a whole pineapple in the oven for 3 hours.  Also a cardamom & sage-infused gin, clove syrup and lemon juice.   

The roasted pineapple flavor was interesting with the earthy cardamom, sage and clove.  

• Like 7

The evening started with mixed nuts and the usual white mai tai, followed by dinner and much methode rotuts to get through the heat.  The interesting thing is a beautiful Baccarat glass (OK, water goblet) of the last of the liquid from a batch of Bugialli's Pere alla Corrado.

It is the juice from pears marinated in two cups of Soave with caramelized sugar.  It is not too sweet, not too acidic, refreshing and just right.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just returned from a cocktail infused quick trip to London and Paris where I had the chance to check out 6 (at least???) cocktail bars in the 4 nights I was able to go wandering around the towns. In London it was The Bar with No Name and Trailer Happiness (a tiki bar with the most delightfully tacky décor. Felt like I fell into the '70's). Then in Paris I tried the Experimental Cocktail Club, Little Red Door, Candelaria and Mabel. I liked them all but I think Mabel was my top choice this time as I was feeling rather rummy this trip.

Wish I could remember all the different drinks but I am doing well just to remember all the bars! O.o

• Like 8

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the fabulous Back Room in Waltham MA (any place with hanging meat is already a win) and had their Last Run, a Last Word variation with Genepy for Green Chartreuse. Great. Making it again tonight for guests.

Edited by EvergreenDan
Literacy. It's a thing. (log)
  • Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

A while ago I received a gift of a small bottle of this odd Slow Burn liqueur. It's a gin-based, smoky sweet liqueur that I figured must be good for something but I had no idea what.

Then recently I came across a variation of Sam Ross's great Penicillin (blended Scotch, lemon, honey, ginger, Islay Scotch float) that subbed in agave spirits--tequila for the blended Scotch and mezcal for the float. That sparked the idea--I could instead make a gin variant, with London dry as the base spirit and this Slow Burn as the smoky top. 

So I did it. 1 2/3 oz. Beefeater, 2/3 lemon, 2 tsp honey syrup, 2 tsp Stirrings ginger liqueur, 2 tsp Slow Burn floated, candied ginger garnish. Tasty but not earth-shattering, I parsed it more as an interesting Bee's Knees riff than anything that would rival a Penicillin. 

IMG_3052 1.png

• Like 2

Green Russian....or maybe Russian Snow in Summer, since the vodka is the only ingredient unchanged.
2 vodka
1 Suntory Matchapresso Green Tea Liqueur

Mixed well, poured over a liberal amount of ice.
Coconut cream (Kara UHT) poured gently over the top ad lib

The Suntory Matchapresso is the best take on a green tea liqueur I have seen so far. I don't think it is as sweet as Kahlua, but then it's a long time since Kahlua and I last met.

greenrussiancrop.png

Edited by helenjp (log)
  • Like 2

I'm been enjoying what amounts to a Hemingway G&T:

1/2 oz each Campari, Aperol, Maraschino
3/4 oz lime
1 oz gin

3-ish oz tonic, 1/2 bottle Fever Tree Light Tonic or similar. Adjust lime if using a sweeter tonic.

Alas, the juniper of the gin doesn't come through as much as I'd like, but it's a lovely bitter big modest-alcohol drink that's perfect for summer. A motivated consumer might try a high juniper gin -- Juniperio maybe?

• Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I put together a sour with poitin, coconut syrup, lime and aqua farbe with mole bitters on top. 

I was really pleased with how well the poitin and coconut played together.

They were gone too quickly for a photo but my friends have dubbed this the poitina collada so no doubt I will be expected to mix up another batch at some point. 

• Like 1

Enjoying this Bluebeard, a riff on PDT's Blackbeard:

Muddle five blueberries in 1/2oz agave syrup.

Add 1 1/2oz gin, 3/4oz aquavit, 3/4oz pineapple juice, 1/2oz lime juice.

Shake and strain into ice filled tumbler. Mint sprig garnish.

It's delicious, a really nice balance where the botanicals of gin and aquavit complement the fruity flavors. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, tried a Hotel Room Temperature

1 1⁄2 oz Carpano Antica

3⁄4 oz El Dorado 12 (El Dorado 8)

3⁄4 oz Marie Brizard orange curaçao (Pierre Ferrand)

14 drops Xocolatl Mole bitters

Roll to incorporate and serve room temperature. Garnish with an orange twist. 

Loved the balance of this, with each ingredient playing a distinct role, unfettered by any pesky dilution. A grown-up drink, rich, boozy, and delicious. 

Anyone else have any favorite unchilled mixed drinks?

hotelroomtemperature 1.png

Edited by Craig E (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1