• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Craig E

Craig E

rearranging photo

May I present the Ski Mask #1? 

I don't own, and in fact have never tried, kummel, but Google taught me it is a liqueur with caraway, cumin, and fennel flavors, which made me think of aquavit, which I do have. But that's a spirit rather than a liqueur, so subbing outright would be taking away the sweetness of the drink. Thus, I thought blanc vermouth could go in for the (also grape-based) cognac. 

So: over cracked ice in a wine glass, stir 1 1/2 oz. each Tattersall aquavit and Dolin blanc, 1/4 oz. homemade grenadine. 

IMG_2813.png

It's pretty good, though never having tried a Balaklava #1, I don't know how similar it is. 

I can imagine that lengthening this with some bubbly soda would work too. 

Craig E

Craig E

May I present the Ski Mask #1? 

I don't own, and in fact have never tried, kummel, but Google taught me it is a liqueur with caraway, cumin, and fennel flavors, which made me think of aquavit, which I do have. But that's a spirit rather than a liqueur, so subbing outright would be taking away the sweetness of the drink. Thus, I thought blanc vermouth could go in for the (also grape-based) cognac. 

So: over cracked ice in a wine glass, stir 1 1/2 oz. each Tattersall aquavit and Dolin blanc, 1/4 oz. homemade grenadine. 

It's pretty good, though never having tried a Balaklava #1, I don't know how similar it is. 

I can imagine that lengthening this with some bubbly soda would work too. 

IMG_2813.png