• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

quiet1

Drinks! 2017 (Part 1)

After an all summer abstinence:  autumn in Jersey.  Pretty enough for a picture but that didn't happen.  Tragically Laird's bonded is no longer made.  I used half 100 proof and half 7 1/2 year Laird's.  Around two ounces of each.  That combination seems to work pretty well.

Tried this Gladstone: Rittenhouse base with a bunch of other stuff thrown in in small quantities—aquavit, maraschino, gomme (simple), absinthe, Appleton V/X (Smith & Cross), Boker's bitters. Stir, up.

Kinda interesting. The absinthe spoke a little loudly. Caraway and marshmallow on the swallow. Something in the aftertaste that reminds me of toothpaste. 

• Like 1

Well deserved Balaklava Special, No. I, Charles H. Baker Jr -- after a couple of days reading the exploits of Omar Pasha in Crimea.

@EvergreenDan's Dark and Orangey:

• 2 oz dark rum (1 oz Smith & Cross + 1 oz Cruzan blackstrap)
  • 1 oz King's Ginger (Stirrings Ginger)
  • 1/2 oz Cointreau
  • 3/4 oz lime
  • dash Angostura orange (Regan's orange) bitters
  • rocks, with a lemon twist

I was pleased to find that the firepower of S&C and ginger liqueur held the line against a full ounce of the Cruzan blackstrap rum, which in other recipes (even at smaller amounts) has commandeered and worsened drinks to my taste. This is a good use of the stuff. 

darkandorange.png

• Like 2

The weather has gotten cold evough these days that it's time for my Percolator Punch recipe.

Stopped at the grocery store for the cranberry juice and pineapple juice.

That, mixed with a couple cups of water, bit of brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, whole allspice and a pinch of salt.

Then it goes into the percolator

(the spices go into the basket).

Don't forget to add the spirits when serving.

I imagine that this could also be made on the stovetop or in a slow cooker (the spices in a sachet).

It makes the whole house smell divine.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, lindag said:

The weather has gotten cold evough these days that it's time for my Percolator Punch recipe.

Stopped at the grocery store for the cranberry juice and pineapple juice.

That, mixed with a couple cups of water, bit of brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, whole allspice and a pinch of salt.

Then it goes into the percolator

Don't forget to add the spirits!

(the spices go into the basket).

I imagine that this could also be made on the stovetop or in a slow cooker (the spices in a sachet).

It makes the whole house smell divine.

This may inspire me to get one of those wee tiny slow cookers so I can have just enough of this waiting when I get home from a long walk with the dog on a winter evening.

• Like 1