• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2017

quiet1

After an all summer abstinence:  autumn in Jersey.  Pretty enough for a picture but that didn't happen.  Tragically Laird's bonded is no longer made.  I used half 100 proof and half 7 1/2 year Laird's.  Around two ounces of each.  That combination seems to work pretty well.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Tried this Gladstone: Rittenhouse base with a bunch of other stuff thrown in in small quantities—aquavit, maraschino, gomme (simple), absinthe, Appleton V/X (Smith & Cross), Boker's bitters. Stir, up.

Kinda interesting. The absinthe spoke a little loudly. Caraway and marshmallow on the swallow. Something in the aftertaste that reminds me of toothpaste. 

• Like 1

@EvergreenDan's Dark and Orangey:

• 2 oz dark rum (1 oz Smith & Cross + 1 oz Cruzan blackstrap)
  • 1 oz King's Ginger (Stirrings Ginger)
  • 1/2 oz Cointreau
  • 3/4 oz lime
  • dash Angostura orange (Regan's orange) bitters
  • rocks, with a lemon twist

I was pleased to find that the firepower of S&C and ginger liqueur held the line against a full ounce of the Cruzan blackstrap rum, which in other recipes (even at smaller amounts) has commandeered and worsened drinks to my taste. This is a good use of the stuff. 

darkandorange.png

• Like 3

The weather has gotten cold evough these days that it's time for my Percolator Punch recipe.

Stopped at the grocery store for the cranberry juice and pineapple juice.

That, mixed with a couple cups of water, bit of brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, whole allspice and a pinch of salt.

Then it goes into the percolator

(the spices go into the basket).

Don't forget to add the spirits when serving.

I imagine that this could also be made on the stovetop or in a slow cooker (the spices in a sachet).

It makes the whole house smell divine.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, lindag said:

The weather has gotten cold evough these days that it's time for my Percolator Punch recipe.

Stopped at the grocery store for the cranberry juice and pineapple juice.

That, mixed with a couple cups of water, bit of brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, whole allspice and a pinch of salt.

Then it goes into the percolator

Don't forget to add the spirits!

(the spices go into the basket).

I imagine that this could also be made on the stovetop or in a slow cooker (the spices in a sachet).

It makes the whole house smell divine.

This may inspire me to get one of those wee tiny slow cookers so I can have just enough of this waiting when I get home from a long walk with the dog on a winter evening.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cliff Old Fashioned from Dave Arnold's Liquid Intelligence 

IMG_6449.thumb.jpg.a3356a5a7c413511e7c9fff687a9fdca.jpg

Built over ice with Elijah Craig, ango bitters and a coriander syrup (which I could have filtered a bit better) as the sweetener.  The red chile flakes in the coriander syrup add a nice warming touch.

• Like 3

Avenue & Davenport (rye, bourbon, Cynar, maraschino, Fernet Branca). 

Gave this a long stir but it still packed a punch (with my bottled-in-bond rye as the base). 

The combination of flavors--black pepper from the rye, mint from the fernet, sweet funk from the maraschino--was a little odd. I couldn't decide in the end if it felt inventive or arbitrary. In all that flavor hubbub the Cynar gets surprisingly lost, only surfacing subtly in the finish. 

avenueanddavenport.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Waxman Special Cocktail, by way of Charles H. Baker Jr.

TheWaxmanSpecialCocktail12172017.png

I substituted Malacca for the Old Tom specified.  Not to be a copycat @blue_dolphin but I too preferred a stem.

Can't help but wonder what this would be like with rye instead of gin.

• Like 2

Rendezvous Revisited

• 1 1/2 oz Gin
  • 3/4 oz Campari
  • 1/2 oz Kirschwasser
  • 1/4 oz Lemon juice
  • Lemon twist

The "revisited" part of this is the lemon juice, a contribution by @EvergreenDan

This wasn't to my taste--I found it medicinal, and the brandy drew out the most disagreeable aspects of Campari and gin. It does occur to me that it may just be that the Kirschwasser I have isn't good. Or it may just be the case that I just don't really like Kirschwasser.

RendezvousRevisited 1.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A cocktail in which I substituted almost every ingredient but still enjoyed a tasty drink.

Starting with Damon Boelte's  Radio Silence, served up last Friday on NPR's  All Things Considered in honor of news anchor Robert Siegel's upcoming retirement. 

IMG_6638.thumb.jpg.b629c05b8363e959c9b8ca704a612d70.jpg

Radio Silence from Damon Boelte of Grand Army Bar

2 ounces Brooklyn Gin - subbed Barr Hill Gin, which I'm sure is nothing like Brooklyn Gin but is awfully tasty

0.75 ounce Lustau Manzanilla sherry - subbed a Lustau Fino 

0.25 ounce Bénédictine

3 dashes Bartlett pear bitters or sub 1 dash Angostura bitters - I used a couple of dashes of Boker's bitters (because I thought they would go well with the Barr Hill gin) and a dash of Clear Creek Pear Brandy (because I have no idea what Bartlett pear bitters taste like but figured a bit of pear couldn't hurt)

Stir with ice, strain, lemon twist.

I'm sure the honey in the Barr Hill Gin turned this in a very different direction than intended so I'll look forward to trying it again when I get some Brooklyn Gin. 

• Like 3

On 12/21/2017 at 9:11 PM, Craig E said:

@EvergreenDan

This wasn't to my taste--I found it medicinal, and the brandy drew out the most disagreeable aspects of Campari and gin. It does occur to me that it may just be that the Kirschwasser I have isn't good. Or it may just be the case that I just don't really like Kirschwasser.

Thanks for your honesty! I was just looking at your drink and was going to make it tonight since I have all the ingredients, but your opinion has turned me off.

I have an unopened bottle of Kirschwasser and I have no idea what to do with it? I bought it for Black Forest Cake, but that was before Mr. Smokey told me he *hates* black forest cake. I have a feeling it's horrible for drinking, so I'm trying to hide it in some cocktails. Maybe with some champagne?

Reposted from New Year's thread, here's some French 75, Town and Country's version, which is as follows:

0.25 oz. simple syrup

0.25 oz. lemon juice

1.25 oz cognac

brut champagne, I used approx. 4 oz.

lemon twist for garnish

Delicious. I love the combination of cognac and champagne.

IMG_2537.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

Thanks for your honesty! I was just looking at your drink and was going to make it tonight since I have all the ingredients, but your opinion has turned me off.

I have an unopened bottle of Kirschwasser and I have no idea what to do with it? I bought it for Black Forest Cake, but that was before Mr. Smokey told me he *hates* black forest cake. I have a feeling it's horrible for drinking, so I'm trying to hide it in some cocktails. Maybe with some champagne?

I can't think of any cocktail that would "hide it", but it's a great addition to fruit salad. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

Nothing to do with cocktails - I usually put Kirsch in almond fillings/pastes.

• Like 2

@Smokeydoke do you like fondue?

Barring that plug Kirschwasser into Kindred Cocktails.  Pages and pages come up.  I keep Kirschwasser on hand for Balaklava Special No.2, Charles H. Baker Jr...

https://kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/balaklava-special-no-2

Though more often than not I go for a Balaklava Special No.1 when I'm in a Crimean mood.  Kirschwasser is also pleasant neat if chilled.  Why the feeling that it's horrible for drinking?

• Like 1

@Smokeydoke:  

1.  Thanks for the French 75 mention - I am sipping one now so you're helping me use up leftover bubbles....not that it's ever a problem!

2.  I have a bottle of the Clear Creek Kirschwasser that I've only used for cheese fondue and baking but it seems like very nice stuff so I'm also curious about the "horrible for drinking" thing.  I guess I should do my own research and try it xD

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Smokeydoke do you like fondue?

Though more often than not I go for a Balaklava Special No.1 when I'm in a Crimean mood.  Kirschwasser is also pleasant neat if chilled.  Why the feeling that it's horrible for drinking?

It's sweet and it has a flavor reminiscent of cough medicine. I did buy a cheap brand, DeKrups, so it's my fault. I think one can sip it like port.

19 minutes ago, Smokeydoke said:

It's sweet and it has a flavor reminiscent of cough medicine. I did buy a cheap brand, DeKrups, so it's my fault. I think one can sip it like port.

Is what you have really a Kirschwasser?  Kirschwasser is not sweet in the slightest.  One could not substitute cherry liqueur for Kirschwasser.  Or at least one would not wish to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirsch

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Smokeydoke said:

Would this be acceptable?

http://www.bevmo.com/clear-creek-brandy-kirschwasser--375-ml-.html

The Dekuyper was recommended to me by the salesperson, I'm still learning. in his defense, I did say "cherry brandy".

I believe that's the same bottle that I have except mine is 750 ml.