• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2017

quiet1

7 hours ago, ananth said:

Finally got to try the famous Flor de Jerez !

I have to say I'm a little dissappointed. It is really good don't get me wrong but I guess I expected it to be 'funkier' Maybe I'll try this with S&C :D

I wonder if apricot brandy instead of the apricot liqueur from the spec threw things off. A little more sweetness wouldn't in itself be "funky" but maybe it would bring out more from the rum?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2017 at 0:11 AM, Chris Hennes said:

Bridal (gin, sweet vermouth, maraschino, orange bitters)

Ratios? It's impossible to google for the recipe since "bridal cocktail recipe" returns a zillion crappy wedding drinks.

Sounds like a Martinez, no? That's a handsome photo, BTW.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

And round two:

Bordeaux Cocktail (by Tito Class)

• 2.25 oz citrus vodka
  • .75 oz Lillet Blanc

I had an unopened bottle of Absolut Citron that I bought when I lived in Pennsylvania (a decade ago!). I am not sure what cocktail I bought it for, but I'm getting some use out of it this week. Obviously the drink isn't much to look at, particularly since my lemons are anemic and so I didn't give this one a garnish. All the color in the photo is actually a fisheye of the room behind the glass. I also tried taking the photo without the condensation on the glass, but the crystal-clear upside-down panorama of my living room didn't seem like a great subject :) 

DSC_4054.jpg

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

16 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

This evening:

Tango (from Hess's The Essential Bartender's Guide)

• .5 oz rum
  • .5 sweet vermouth
  • .5 dry vermouth
  • .5 Benedictine
  • .5 orange juice

Lovely pic. How was the drink? Just looking at the recipe, I wonder if it didn't turn out a little limp (like so many OJ drinks). 

1 hour ago, Craig E said:

Lovely pic. How was the drink? Just looking at the recipe, I wonder if it didn't turn out a little limp (like so many OJ drinks). 

"Limp" is a good description. Totally drinkable, lovely thirst-quencher, not exactly an exciting flavor profile. Serve it by the pitcher.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

1 hour ago, Chris Hennes said:

Serve it by the pitcher.

Sometimes a pitcher is exactly what the doctor ordered.:D

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tried out this Last Laph: Equal parts peaty Scotch, pineapple juice, ginger liqueur, lemon juice, plus three dashes absinthe, garnished with mint.

My garden mint got fried in the late summer sun so my pitiful garnish didn't add much. 

I found the smoky Scotch (I used Laphroaig 10) ran roughshod; the ginger especially got lost. If I tried this again I think I'd try a blended Scotch base and an islay float, à la a Penicillin. 

IMG_3297 1.png

A "Johan" Collins last night (a name that's surely been taken but I'm too lazy to both Google it or think of something different)

1 oz Tanqueray

.75 oz Linie aquavit

.75 oz lemon

.5 oz 1:1 simple

Dash of Boker's bitters

Dash of Coastal Root Pine bitters (added for some "freshness", I'm sure there's plenty of more-available bitters that could be subbed in, absinthe maybe?)

Short shake, strain into ice-filled Collins, top with club soda, lemon twist. A nice end-of-summer drink that looks in the direction of autumn.