• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 1)

Anna N

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

Fried Zucchini planks, corned beef hash, poached eggs and fresh salsa.

HC

IMG_1374.thumb.JPG.37ce7baacf3410ca1aa5b3a2bd1a9f92.JPGIMG_1375.thumb.JPG.2eb8bef19c648fcdf8bc8c7463a0545a.JPG

Chris every single time I see that hash I get immediately hungry. I love corned beef hash (corned beef though not so much). It's great in an omelette. In college my roommate and I would always go to the local diner on weekends and order "dog food omelettes" because they look awful but tasted great! 

• Like 1

I am a little busy lately. A couple of recent breakfasts:

Spinach, feta & tomatoes shakshuka. Onion, garlic, cumin, parsley, sumac.

20170217_114323.jpg.9564febec8514f91d64b6e39feabccb8.jpg

Egg salad.

20170303_194925.thumb.jpg.1528f63c8e35635ba23bbb608d80df9e.jpg

Turkish coffee had a cool pattern yesterday:

20170226_084603.thumb.jpg.b3d7f828fabfacd306fb8622f99bae3e.jpg

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

" Diced Ham and Scrambled Eggs on Toast "  :

58c168a1195e8_CBBreak.thumb.jpg.bbd4af5927fbadcd96f13fd72cbc3668.jpg

however it was diced home smoked Corned Beef.

how is was made is in this thread :

Im surprised at how Hammy this CB was.

if you can't eat Ham , and have an interest in ' Ham and eggs '  look no further .

• Like 8

@shain

Both your shakshuka and your egg salad  look extremely "moreish".   Glad to know you were just busy as your absence was noticed.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Breakfast this morning was creamed chipped beef on toast:

DSCN6454.JPG.74c0af137b4f8757f8ed6f3bfe5139b9.JPG

Times TWO!!

Nice -- and quite retro! Just think how good it'd be with an over easy egg perched on top...

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Breakfast this morning was creamed chipped beef on toast

You know, I've never made this.  My mom used to make it for us kids from time to time.  Always when my dad was out as he had developed a WWII US army aversion to the dish.  I liked it.  Crisp toast, salty meat, creamy gravy.  What's not to like? Except sometimes there were canned peas in the gravy :o No can do canned peas. No can do.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yeah, Kim.  That looks so dang good.

10 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yeah, Kim.  That looks so dang good.

Wow. I can't believe we're all being so incredibly polite about the common name of this dish.:o:o:o

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

We were all thinking it. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

image.jpeg.e4d6e47071f9028733774b1750caeac1.jpeg

I was given a wedge of this lovely cheese a couple of days ago. At first I seriously thought it was a slice of cake which seemed odd to me since the person who gave it to me knew very well I was not much of a dessert person so I was delighted to discover it was cheese not cake.:). Sorry about the blur.  I should never attempt a photograph until my second shot of caffeine in the morning.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, chromedome said:

We were all thinking it. 

xD

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_4384.jpg.4a2c459eccd464c5f7833065c1898679.jpg

Couple of defective low carb waffles with cheddar and raspberry fruit spread. Reheated in the CSO they were reasonably crispy with the Trisol in them. 

• Like 8

On 3/8/2017 at 11:11 AM, MetsFan5 said:

Chris every single time I see that hash I get immediately hungry. I love corned beef hash (corned beef though not so much). It's great in an omelette. In college my roommate and I would always go to the local diner on weekends and order "dog food omelettes" because they look awful but tasted great! 

MF5, I give you the DFO. Thanks for the inspiration!

HC

IMG_1401.thumb.JPG.b04ec848d9a5f4f5898faf1dc53cbc00.JPGIMG_1404.thumb.JPG.8bea55016dd0298bac0c139a4b137a64.JPGIMG_1405.thumb.JPG.a30a3bef6c077bd2d8f8c0e4387fa4df.JPG

• Like 8

Western sandwich on a toasted English muffin.... ham, sautéed orange peppers, onion and tomato concasse.  Perfect to hold me until the snow stops and I have to go shovel.

Making gluten free blueberry pancakes for John's breakfast.....or he can have the leftover turkey sandwich....or some eggy potatoes.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

@blue_dolphin – I grew up eating this.  My great grandmother hated cooking, but at times had as many as 15 family members of all ages living with her.  She needed cheap food and the entire family got addicted to this stuff.  We always had it as a breakfast, but Mr. Kim grew up with it as a lunch or Dad-wasn’t-home dinner.  But NEVER peas – canned or otherwise!

@Anna N– LOL!  I never heard that until I was an adult.  I think it tends to be called that by veterans who were subjected to army cook’s stolid versions.   I adore that cheese – and it goes PERFECTLY with pears. 

@Kerry Beal – Your waffle combination would NEVER have occurred to me and it is perfect.  It reminds me of a croquet-monsieur.   

Today’s breakfast was an ET bagel w/ chive & onion cream cheese and sausage with a side of maple syrup:

DSCN6457.JPG.148fcc7f28c7c3429afde6cede45fdf3.JPG

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 10

After a couple of months off my yogurt-and-granola kick, I'm back to the old standby. Instant Pot yogurt (thanks again, whoever it was who suggested I use non-fat dry milk!) with local honey, homemade granola, fresh pineapple. 

granola.jpg.0d3ff53b3a6e9c0f320afd977bd6d9d4.jpg

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I never heard that until I was an adult.  I think it tends to be called that by veterans who were subjected to army cook’s stolid versions.

Me neither, Kim. My dad was a Navy veteran, and this was his favorite of the shipboard fare. Of course he told a story once of when the flour got infested with bugs, and they were simply baked into the bread. He was super picky about his food, and went to see the captain about this issue. The captain showed him his bread portion with the "extra protein" baked in. xD They must not have had a sifter on board and couldn't make a port detour against orders. Then again, even if they had a sifter, I would hate to be on KP and have to do that for the hundreds of meals served aboard an aircraft carrier. Plus a sifter would just grind the insects, I think. They would have had to have shaken it through a sieve to separate them. That would take even longer. So protein bread.

Personally, I like chipped beef in gravy, and usually use the Buddig chipped beef in the little refrigerated packs. It's cheaper and less salty than the Armour stuff in a jar. I haven't made this in a long time, so thanks for the reminder.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

This morning I valiantly mustered all my creative energies, limitless imagination and culinary skills and came up with the perfect breakfast. I expect all the awards to come rolling in any moment now. You will be astonished and beg me for the recipe.

20170311_100038.thumb.jpg.410efce28d86e21ec951c85d34eb52bc.jpg

20170311_100052.thumb.jpg.46051c64e859fa573055015f2db240d1.jpg

For those of you who don't know about such things, it's a hard boiled hen's egg sandwiched between two slices of buttered home made bread. A little salt and freshly ground black pepper. Served with some strong black coffee in a banana mug (the mug design is essential - no lesser substitutes permitted,)

Astonishing! Whatever will I come up with next? The world trembles at my feet in awe..

Edited to add: Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to use banana bread for this. Believe me; I tried; you don't want to go there. Save your banana bread for cheddar cheese sandwiches.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto