• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 1)

Anna N

That's brilliant. I'm going to make leek and potato soup one night soon for dinner and make sure there are leftovers for breakfast. This would be a real departure for me, although I would have pho for breakfast if it was delivered by a cart, which means I never do. Generally I swear by non-variety for breakfast; ninety nine times out of one hundred it's toast, just toast. Almost always with home made marmalade, once in a while with cinnamon sugar. In the summer when there are good tomatoes,  every so often I really like toast with ricotta and a slice with a little salt. One thing I would never turn down is a toasted bagel with cream cheese and lox. If someone else makes it for me I will eat steel cut oats, but only rarely. I dislike going out for breakfast or brunch and if, god forbid, the newspaper isn't delivered, I get agitated.

I love reading this thread because it is so not me. Although the pictures of poached eggs make me somewhat ill.  In the morning, along with not much variety, I prefer not cooking and not talking. The not talking thing has driven my husband wild for nearly forty years. Right now it is 2am, so I might be just a tad grumpy at breakfast.

• Like 3

image.jpeg.e8215c332acf8b30b0c9a59654a13367.jpeg

Farm-fresh eggs scrambled with tomatoes, onions and peppers. Done in my small Darto pan without a sign of sticking!  It is now more nonstick than my nonstick. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.66d0219fdde285c388ce20c75503bd4b.jpeg

Big breakfast because lunch is unlikely to happen.   Appointments you know. These are farm fresh eggs so I feel I need to apologize to the hen for mutilating one of them. To accompany the eggs:  two sausages, blistered Campari tomatoes and a low-carb waffle.   Should hold me for most of the day.

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Gabrielle Hamilton's celery toasts

IMG_4458.thumb.jpg.ffdb87b3ef42097f49ee4c2ac4ab40f8.jpg

Thin slices of multigrain toast, buttered and topped with Cambazola and celery salad. 

I was mixing up a cheese ball to bring to a party tomorrow and had the scallions and Cambazola out on the counter when I realized that it was getting late and I should eat something so I went with what was in front of me!

• Like 8

Yesterday, I treated myself to brunch at Brennan's; it's the only place I know that brunch is well worth 50 bucks.

Started with a mimosa:

mimosa.thumb.jpg.e5f1b0e51cae886e1362a9cef894d8be.jpg

Then one of the best brunch dishes I've had in New Orleans: Egg yolk carpaccio.

58b07710c4424_eggyolkcarpaccio.thumb.jpg.66b5defbdca71a1dc7fb6b042ab32cbd.jpg

The waiter gave me details: egg yolks cooked SV with seasonings; broken into a shallow plate, topped with grilled shrimp that are in turn topped with diced Canadian bacon and a tangle of sweet potato strings. (Not certain what the green strings were; there were a few there for contrast, I guess, but they had no definable taste. Truth be told, the sweet potato didn't have a lot of taste, either, until I sopped it through egg yolk. Finished off the yolk with a piece of Leidenheimer bread.

I loved the plate, too.

And the main dish: Eggs Hussarde, a Brennan's original specialty.

58b077175453a_eggshussarde.jpg.8949e51ce299ab3dc8f50301c7ee7a10.jpg

These things are marvelous. Bacon over English muffin halves, topped with a red wine sauce, then a poached egg, then the most luscious Hollandaise I've ever had, and chives. Had I not had the carpaccio, I would have managed to down both halves; as it was, I got through a little of the muffin and all the topping on the second half.

A three-mile walk around the Garden District ensued, after which I had worked off enough of that meal that I could work on these:

beignets.jpg.dd2fa5821b7cc3040a2e0da2ff9c784a.jpg

Could only eat one, but I couldn't come to NOLA and not have them.

This morning's flight out was at 7 a.m., so no goodies today, save the pralines purchased at the airport. :(

• Like 14

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Yesterday, I treated myself to brunch at Brennan's; it's the only place I know that brunch is well worth 50 bucks.

Started with a mimosa:

mimosa.thumb.jpg.e5f1b0e51cae886e1362a9cef894d8be.jpg

Then one of the best brunch dishes I've had in New Orleans: Egg yolk carpaccio.

58b07710c4424_eggyolkcarpaccio.thumb.jpg.66b5defbdca71a1dc7fb6b042ab32cbd.jpg

The waiter gave me details: egg yolks cooked SV with seasonings; broken into a shallow plate, topped with grilled shrimp that are in turn topped with diced Canadian bacon and a tangle of sweet potato strings. (Not certain what the green strings were; there were a few there for contrast, I guess, but they had no definable taste. Truth be told, the sweet potato didn't have a lot of taste, either, until I sopped it through egg yolk. Finished off the yolk with a piece of Leidenheimer bread.

I loved the plate, too.

And the main dish: Eggs Hussarde, a Brennan's original specialty.

58b077175453a_eggshussarde.jpg.8949e51ce299ab3dc8f50301c7ee7a10.jpg

These things are marvelous. Bacon over English muffin halves, topped with a red wine sauce, then a poached egg, then the most luscious Hollandaise I've ever had, and chives. Had I not had the carpaccio, I would have managed to down both halves; as it was, I got through a little of the muffin and all the topping on the second half.

A three-mile walk around the Garden District ensued, after which I had worked off enough of that meal that I could work on these:

beignets.jpg.dd2fa5821b7cc3040a2e0da2ff9c784a.jpg

Could only eat one, but I couldn't come to NOLA and not have them.

This morning's flight out was at 7 a.m., so no goodies today, save the pralines purchased at the airport. :(

*drooling*  You had me at the mimosa.....and then I scrolled down and you really had me.

• Like 5

Almost booked a flight the other night but  thought too close to Ash Wednesday - regretting now....

Here is my beignet shot for those who have never seen the magnificent snow flurry

013.JPG

• Like 4

To celebrate my recovery from a series of baking disasters and managing to bake a loaf that didn't weld itself to the supposedly non-stick baking tin, I toasted a slice and stuffed it with well-done bacon. A cup of strong, black, Indonesian Arabica (friend brought back) and I'm ready for the day.

bacon.thumb.jpg.2bb941103324c5a20aa9c9062a5275ba.jpg

• Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg.1848ad48c11c9ea238bebb8deeae354b.jpeg

Don't judge!  I know it is still February in Ontario and asparagus season is months away. But this asparagus, imported from Mexico, was a gift and is quite good. I also received three dozen farm fresh eggs.   So roasted asparagus, a poached egg and my very first successful rendition of hollandaise sauce.  Life is good. 

• Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

I never thought of a poached egg and hollandaise together !

Ill be doing this from now on.

this week  :   18 eggs  :  $ 0.99   ,  not farm fresh , but I don't mind.

Asp.  $ 1.88   , thin ones , also from Mexico.   Avocados , $ 0.88  each , Mexican.

all week long !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

A couple of Moe's breakfasts.

58b19e9b87a15_SourdoughandyeastFebruary23rdsliced25th.thumb.jpg.e31188f827d32648db485d0e15b4d942.jpg

Homemade bread toasted, Italian sausage with potatoes, peppers, onions and mushrooms yesterday and this morning a mushroom omelette from local free range eggs.

Moe's Breakfast from yesterday.

58b19179ef2b2_ItalianSausagewithpeppersonionsmushroomsandpotatoesFebruary24th2017.thumb.jpg.2e15fbad65b90e9119b295aaacc1c99b.jpg

I was out of eggs so I went with Italian Sausage with potatoes, peppers, onions and mushrooms with toasted sourdough.

And today's breakfast

58b19ea9c8dfb_MushroomOmeletteFebruary25th2017.thumb.jpg.5522fafbab65b78d51b21a7195ac200e.jpg

Mushroom Omelette with local farm eggs.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

I never thought of a poached egg and hollandaise together !

Ill be doing this from now on.

this week  :   18 eggs  :  $ 0.99   ,  not farm fresh , but I don't mind.

Asp.  $ 1.88   , thin ones , also from Mexico.   Avocados , $ 0.88  each , Mexican.

all week long !

But isn't eggs Benedict exactly that? Poached egg and hollandaise among other things?

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Don't judge!  I know it is still February in Ontario and asparagus season is months away. But this asparagus, imported from Mexico, was a gift and is quite good. I also received three dozen farm fresh eggs.   So roasted asparagus, a poached egg and my very first successful rendition of hollandaise sauce.  Life is good. 

Beautiful breakfast, @Anna N!  What method did you use for your hollandaise.  I've tried a number of "fool-proof" recipes but so far have not found a "blue_dolphin-proof" method :$!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Beautiful breakfast, @Anna N!  What method did you use for your hollandaise.  I've tried a number of "fool-proof" recipes but so far have not found a "blue_dolphin-proof" method :$!

I used the Thermomix.  But even so it broke so I added a tablespoon full of water and blended it a little longer and voila. The Thermomix of course cooks it as it is mixing.  I rather doubt this is helpful unless you have Thermomix. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N  

I don't have a Thermomix , Im not getting a Thermomix , I don't lust after a Thermomix , at least not very often 

should you be in the H. Repair Business at any time, please consider adding one yolk in the T and report back ?

Im aware of the water trick , I also have the impression that an added yolk works under perhaps more situations 

i.e.  slightly curdled ?

Ive repaired other folks H.'s this way .