• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 1)

Anna N

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

if you replaced those Zuke's w Scrapple , Id agree.

I am taking a break from scrapple for a bit. I have also decided that the next time I buy it, I will slice it all up and IQF it on a sheet pan in the freezer, then bag it for use right from the freezer as needed. But your whole premise is  flawed: the two are complimentary, but not interchangeable.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2017 at 8:28 AM, kayb said:

No photos because it wasn't at all photogenic, but a ramekin of leftover mashed potatoes served as a bed for two eggs, which were then topped with bacon bits, some grated cheese, and a tablespoon or two of heavy cream, then baked at 350 for 12 minutes in the CSO. Good stuff.

I could look at that.  Sounds very creative and delicious!!!!!

• Like 3

pesto egg and baked beans on toasted white bread for me

eggy potatoes for Johnnybird

coffee

after an hour of shoveling....

another couple to go...........

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

This dog's breakfast-looking dish is the Persian-inspired eggs with dates & chili from Diana Henry's Simple with Greek yogurt, flatbread and tomato

58c9606052ff6_IMG_0003(1).thumb.jpg.c6157ffaf2977505c65609c884c5d869.jpg

In the header notes, she says, "It sounds like a strange combination, I know, but it's addictive."  

I'm not addicted to dates in my eggs, not yet.

• Like 9

On 3/14/2017 at 11:13 AM, suzilightning said:

Add some sautéed potatoes and you have eggy potatoes.......ie a semi-frittata.

Oh yes, potatoes would have been good

On 3/14/2017 at 11:23 AM, liuzhou said:

I'd happily eat that. Had to look up Cholula though. What I know about Mexican food could be written on a perforation of a postage stamp.

:D Here Mexican basics are becoming readily available in standard grocery stores. Suits me just fine.

On 3/14/2017 at 11:23 AM, Anna N said:

It does look a bit iffy to be kind but it was quite good.  I took out from the freezer one of the cheese waffles I made a day or so ago, reheated it and dotted it with the last of the Cambozola.  Back under the broiler for a few seconds to soften the cheese and breakfast was served.  

For some reason iffy-looking food is often the best. I try to avoid burdening this thread with my usual egg - tomato - dried chile breakasts because, no matter how delicious, they look quite regrettable.

Is that regrettable-looking food thread still alive? That was one of the funniest things I have ever read.

Edit: Found it!

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 1)

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 3

Fresh strawberries with Greek yogurt

IMG_4664.thumb.jpg.3462d43e7c7dbb21462275ae45654267.jpg

I splurged on some Harry's Berries strawberries at the local farmers market on Thursday.  This variety is "Gaviota" and is considered too delicate to ship commercially so it's usually just available at farmers markets and farm stands.  They are grown in Oxnard, near here.

Because it was a splurge, I was hoarding them but realized that I should enjoy them at their best.  It's foggy outside but they are brightening my morning!

• Like 15

image.jpeg.e00a247283d837cc7c60fe521658ddf2.jpeg

This is an avocado, tomato, onion, cheese and sour cream Boo-Boo.  Watch for it to appear at your favourite restaurant. I was attempting to melt a little cheese on a flour tortilla so that I could make a quesadilla. I got incredibly distracted.   It was a bit awkward to eat but still very tasty.   I think perhaps it's a Pizzadilla. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

More leftovers here:  Grits topped with bacon-roasted rutabaga and a non-leftover poached egg.

IMG_4685.thumb.jpg.a8e000281d59a8a37eb88838aab95779.jpg

The bacon cubes that were so deliciously crisp and crunchy the other night sadly lost that quality in the storage/reheating process.  Too bad for me.  The grits were still delicious. 

• Like 11

A little sandwich of leftover pork tenderloin, brussels sprout leaves (due to a dearth of leafy greens in my fridge, it was that or parsley :D) and apple preserves mixed with grainy mustard and sherry vinegar on a toasted Parmesan-rosemary roll

IMG_4689.thumb.jpg.98a29740b34c5abbbe61bcea29d066a2.jpg

• Like 11

image.jpeg.d3a48217b9557f57760f9959e1e76486.jpeg

Not in the least photogenic. From a day or two ago this is a Richard Olney recipe for an onion omelette with wine vinegar. 

image.jpeg.d69ff14d49676518d763b5daac56815a.jpeg

A far cry from a full British but still tasty and filling.  

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.ac7e0fbde2d029deaa656bbd4d6edce4.jpeg

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Damn the doorbell.

I was preparing breakfast and just at precisely the wrong moment some idiot rang my doorbell. Tragedy ensued.

My oeuf was oeufercooked!

20170324_101600.thumb.jpg.0c56f54964c8c06772b4e0db7862f513.jpg

20170324_101647.thumb.jpg.5028d3863d51d67856bdb212f25e031f.jpg

And they were at the wrong apartment, anyway.

Actually, I don't have a doorbell. Doorbells never caught on in China. They just banged on the door.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou

There are few greater tragedies than an over cooked poached egg.   King Lear comes to mind.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Bruschetta on a thinly sliced crostini made with homemade bread. A local supermarket sells basil plants at a ridiculously low price and I just replaced mine with fresh ones. This was so good, I'm afraid I'm back on the bruschetta crazy train.

HC

IMG_1574.thumb.JPG.79ab51b399028896fc6edb7aab3d7486.JPGIMG_1575.thumb.JPG.ed04846ab0a8b6fbfe569021d5af618f.JPGIMG_1578.thumb.JPG.9f935cf036ab9a5d8ebdbbb560def94b.JPG

• Like 7