• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 1)

Anna N

image.jpeg.82d8bb898975367ce2e5f5c3990d5b79.jpeg

Might be breakfast, could be lunch.  An early morning appointment left me time for only a single cup of coffee and nothing to eat. When I got home I took all of a nano second to decide whether I wanted my second coffee or a bowl of soup.  This is the same sausage, peppers and spinach soup I had the other day on steroids. The soup was on the steroids, not me. Most soups, like a few wines, improve remarkably with age.  This is one of those. I am now debating another cuppa coffee or another bowl of soup.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

HungryChris:  CANNOT ever have enough Zuc fries!!  Done right they are crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside, yes?

And I love your hash.  What a great idea to mince everything together.....that's on my do to list.  Our local butcher makes corned beef for St. Patricks Day and I will be swinging by to get my share.

• Like 2

image.jpeg.d8df0a4ff5eb41cb9f366c0b6a720418.jpeg

Sv'd bacon (from freezer), sourdough toast, egg, broccoli puree and some (tasteless) orange slices. The broccoli was heading south but puréeing it with a bit of butter and some cream overcame any obvious defects. 

• Like 14

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

HungryChris:  CANNOT ever have enough Zuc fries!!  Done right they are crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside, yes?

Could not have said it any better! I moisten mine in lightly salted water, shake in a bag of flour, dip into a watery egg wash and shake in a bag of bread crumbs with a bit of garlic powder and quite a bit of Tajin, before frying in 375 F peanut oil. I find them absolutely addictive any time of the day, but usually can't wait until after breakfast.  

HC

• Like 2

Scrambled eggs with sausage, chipotle in adobo, and garlic. Leftover coconut milk subbed for cream. Morning paper to go with.

Made a dent in the remaining leftovers, so I might have to get groceries this weekend. Well, I lived off the fridge for a week, but eventually one runs out of essentials like garlic and chiles.

ChipotleEggs_201703-1.jpg

• Like 7

I should have taken a picture, alas -- but we ended up with a nice breakfast this morning, inspired by the (Thai-style) sweet roti that are a common street food in Thailand. On our recent trip, it was the one thing I really wanted to try, but never did; when we encountered them, we were always either looking for savory food or already stuffed to the gills. Plus I had coconut milk left over.

I started with the "light and fluffy" pancakes from How To Cook Everything (with whipped egg whites), and used a 2:1 mixture of coconut milk and buttermilk. I added a bit of sweetened shredded coconut (and omitted the sugar from the recipe to compensate). They were cooked on my Baking Steel griddle with coconut oil.

To accompany them, I sliced two bananas lengthwise, sprinkled the cut surface with some sanding sugar (palm sugar might have been better, but I had some leftover sanding sugar to use up). These were griddled rather thoroughly alongside the pancakes.

To serve, instead of syrup, I topped them with condensed milk and crushed peanuts. 

Definitely worked well; I was worried they would be too sweet, but that wasn't the case. I served them with a starfruit and orange salad to provide a bit of tart contrast.

• Like 5

Lobster roll with prawn brain mayo; lobster tails, sous vided in butter, piled onto toasted buttered brioche hot dog buns, smeared with mayonnaise that I made with prawn oil (browning prawn heads in oil, pureeing and straining) and then emulsifying with yolks and mustard in the normal mayo way, and topped with smoked chilli threads. 

IMG_2663.thumb.JPG.c6ce69b56b435e18bac0aa2773c2665e.JPG

• Like 14

@liamsaunt

I say if you eat it and call it breakfast then it's breakfast.

:)

image.jpeg.e8d8fecb545dca87d53f988f977f8806.jpeg

The last of the sausage, spinach and pepper soup. I dropped an egg in there not to make it  breakfasty but because the idea appealed to me. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

This one wasn't worthy of being photographed -- but last night I made the stir-fried potato slivers with chile and sichuan peppercorns from Every Grain of Rice. I am pleased to report the leftovers make excellent hash browns.

• Like 2

image.jpeg.db57e5c92d8da8cd4b67a2aa0c4b5f1f.jpeg

Not a fan of avocado but would like to take advantage of its health benefits occasionally. This was quite tolerable. Avocado mashed with salt, pepper and some lime juice  spread on toast and then piled high with flavours I do like… Tomato, shallot and Korean pepper threads. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

We were in Charlottesville Saturday for a Virginia basketball game.  Came across the Albemarle Baking Co. at the Main Street Market.  Wonderful find!  I wish we had a similar bakery near us.  Incredible looking breads, sweet stuff, cakes and pastries.  We got fabulous croissants, an apple hand pie and a hot cross bun:

DSCN6441.JPG.98769afbf0675e2df0a1ef82aeeb6dfd.JPG

And a loaf of delicious brioche:

DSCN6442.thumb.JPG.bfcef3a927870c3480f94e6d9375ae49.JPG

I love the big ol’ church-lady hairdo swirl!  Gorgeous crumb and texture:

DSCN6443.JPG.49180069030d4c17ac86f1176254697b.JPG

This made fantastic toast.  These things have made up breakfast for the last couple of days. 

• Like 11