• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 1)

Anna N

14 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Well Happy Valentines!  Can't wait to see what's for dinner Ann_T

Scubadoo, Dinner ended up being a roast beef sandwich on homemade baguette.    Forgot to take pictures.  

@shain, thanks.

All Moe wanted for breakfast this morning was toasted homemade sourdough bread.

Sourdough Toast February 15th, 2017.jpg

Baked on the grill last night (last minute save)  because my oven failed to heat up.

Came off the grill just before we went to bed so he never got to try it last night.  

• Like 10

When I was a kid I used to like liverwurst sandwiches with a little thin sliced onion and maybe some mustard on white bread (of course)..

That was a really long time ago.

About a year ago I happened upon a tube of liverwurst in the deli case and was tempted to buy it until I looked at the amount of fat....17G.  I changed my mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Baked on the grill last night (last minute save)  because my oven failed to heat up.

Came off the grill just before we went to bed so he never got to try it last night.  

That's maddening. It happened to me once when a building I lived in lost power. The rest of the neighbourhood came back up but our (newly and hurriedly constructed) building stayed inexplicably at a brownout level. I went down to the electrical room and listened to the electricians gazing in morbid wonder at the dog's breakfast that was the wiring, trying to make out the name of the inspector who'd signed off on it and speculating loudly about how much he'd earned thereby. 

From that I concluded I wouldn't have power any time soon, so I called a restaurant up the block and begged the use of their ovens. They agreed, so I left them a loaf. It was a good investment...I ate there a couple of times, later on, and was treated like royalty. :)

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@scubadoo97

I have one egg left in the refrigerator and seriously considered using it this morning to make the 75° egg which I suspect might well suit me better than the 63° one but laziness won out and I had some cheese, bread and pickles instead.image.jpeg

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N  

on the R it looks to me that The Army Marches On to Battle.

Im  not sure which way they are going  

it might be dependent on the Ager in Question 

if it were the Roman Age of Spartacus , S etc would be marching down and the Pickle would be aflame.

lets move briefly to WWI 

your presentation would be moving up :

the top items would fill the trenches , and the troops would follow

and the Brass would be in one exceptional Pickle .

At the Derry Air.

Ill stop there

but Im sure there are other adaptations.

that's all ive got for now , as more snow is coming.

Id like an analysis of this configurations in The Pacific Theater during WWII

and no , have have not re-hydreated w Personal Beverage(s) just yet

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Just returned from a late breakfast with my cousins - waffles, sausage, fresh raspberries, OJ and coffee, all served out on the patio while we watched the hummingbirds flit around in the sunshine.  Temp ~ 75F.

I'll spare you any photos. 

But I can drive the 130 miles to Little Rock on the interstate in two hours. :) 

All things considered, I might well prefer 75 degrees on the patio with hummingbirds and waffles.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Repeat on the 75 degree eggs this morning.  Hit the spot

Dumb question of the day, as I have never soft-boiled an egg in my life:  Do they just sort of slide out of the shell, or, in the alternative, how do you peel them?

Don't ask. Eat it.

image.jpeg

Breakfast FAIL. 75° eggs on lightly toasted low carb bread (cardboard might have been tastier). The eggs...operator error? Inexperienced hens? Heavy water?  Time and repeated attempts will tell. 

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Breakfast FAIL. 75° eggs on lightly toasted low carb bread (cardboard might have been tastier). The eggs...operator error? Inexperienced hens? Heavy water?  Time and repeated attempts will tell. 

How long did you cook them?

13 minutes. 

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

I will not even try to explain anything because I can't. Same temperature, same time. I even checked the water temperature with another reliable thermometer and it was spot on 75°C. I cannot logically reach any conclusions but these eggs are hardly any different from 63° eggs. The whites are watery and barely set and the yolks are just beginning to set up.   Both times the eggs were from the refrigerator and there was very little difference in sizes.  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

22 hours ago, kayb said:

Dumb question of the day, as I have never soft-boiled an egg in my life:  Do they just sort of slide out of the shell, or, in the alternative, how do you peel them?

I'll try to address your question, @Kay, but I am a hit and miss soft boiled egg chef, at best!  First, THIS is how I make them - it is a method from Cook's Illustrated and is the most dependable method I've ever found.  Once they are done, you have two choices - you can either put them (unpeeled) in egg cups and snip off the top with a sharp knife (you first tap around the top 1/4 of the egg to break the shell) or use one of These nifty little things (I want one!).  You then eat them with wee spoons and toast fingers.  OR - say you want to serve them on toast - you hold them in a towel in your hand and using a teaspoon gently crack them all over and peel.  I slip the tip of the spoon up between the egg and the shell and assist the peeling this way.  

This is all probably needlessly complicated and someone else may have a better way of explaining.  9_9

• Like 1

@scubadoo97  

I looked at your breakfast and it looked tasty  , but I paused a little

interesting how tastes differ.

Id rather have a chopped hard cooked egg w a green salad

or a very soft egg ( soft whites too ) beaten w lemon juice , olive oil  then used as a dressing for a Caesar-ish salad.

some how , to me , and perhaps only me , those tasty yolks clash w the lettuce 

odd , no ?

22 hours ago, kayb said:

I think @Kim Shook has done an admirable job of explaining how to open a conventionally cooked soft boiled egg. With eggs cooked Sous Vide the usual method is to treat them as if they were still raw.  You crack them in the middle and separate the 2 halves and the egg should theoretically fall out. 

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

I think @Kim Shook has done an admirable job of explaining how to open a conventionally cooked soft boiled egg. With eggs cooked Sous Vide the usual method is to treat them as if they were still raw.  You crack them in the middle and separate the 2 halves and the egg should theoretically fall out. 

Theoretically. Which means, for me, I'd have egg all over the kitchen and be left with nothing but shells. But thanks to both of you. 

7 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

I crack at the top 1/3 of the fat end and remove the shell like a cap and it pops out when dumped over. i guess it really doesn't make much difference how you crack it as long as you don't break the yolk 

H'mm. OK. I'm going to try this. I've always tended to poached or over-easy or sunnyside, but I feel the need to broaden my egg horizons.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.