• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 1)

Anna N

My daughter picked me up this morning and we went for breakfast here.

This chain seems to be springing up on every street corner.  All the menu items come complete with calorie counts. I have never been one to count calories nevertheless some of these are pretty frightening.   They serve some interesting sounding items and I might heve been tempted to try a crepe or something else that I don't normally eat.   But I know my limits so bacon and eggs seemed my best choice.

image.jpeg

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Used left over microwaved, in the vac bag, brussel sprouts and leftover pan roasted small diced potatoes as a side for a fried egg this morning.  My wife commented on how green and tasty the brussel sprouts were.  It's my new favorite way to make the sprouts.  Just doesn't get any easier and color, texture and taste were spot on.  I use a little butter and salt in the bag.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

My daughter picked me up this morning and we went for breakfast here.

This chain seems to be springing up on every street corner.  All the menu items come complete with calorie counts. I have never been one to count calories nevertheless some of these are pretty frightening.   They serve some interesting sounding items and I might heve been tempted to try a crepe or something else that I don't normally eat.   But I know my limits so bacon and eggs seemed my best choice.

I've eaten at a few of their locations. If I was still working the line, I'd be somewhat tempted by their breakfast-and-lunch only format. 

On the upside, lots and lots of fruit on their plates. On the downside -- at least in the locations I've visited -- it's often underripe and poorly prepped. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I've eaten at a few of their locations. If I was still working the line, I'd be somewhat tempted by their breakfast-and-lunch only format. 

On the upside, lots and lots of fruit on their plates. On the downside -- at least in the locations I've visited -- it's often underripe and poorly prepped. 

I do agree on the underripe but the beautiful preparation is hard to fault. My daughter's apple slice was gorgeously cut.  However, I don't subscribe to the idea of fruit on my plate of bacon and eggs.  It does not appear to be an option.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I've asked them to just put it on a side plate for me. The locations here seem open to that. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I've asked them to just put it on a side plate for me. The locations here seem open to that. 

What I meant was more concerned with pricing than with what to do with fruit. I could certainly leave the fruit,  I offered it to my dining companion who enjoyed most of it. But I was still charged for underripe fruit that I didn't want in the first place.  

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

I went on-line and their stuff  ( pics online ) looked inviting.

I was going to ask about that cantaloupe slice , but thought Id better not 

its still winter in many places

I do think I would like to steal some of their ideas and would like to return for lunch at some point but it will not be on my list of places to get breakfast.  The cantaloup was not at its peak of ripeness  to put it politely.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Just pulled out of the oven...and letting cool a bit...eggs mixed with some minced ham, green onions and pesto in a pan.  Rye toast to go with it.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpeg

An "egg bite" from my refrigerator. The jar was definitely sealed as if it had  gone through a canning process.  I sliced the bite into three and stuck it under the broiler just to take the chill off it.   I roasted some sweet potatoes a few days ago and this is one of them peeled, sliced and browned on the stove top.   I sprinkled some garam masala on the potatoes but they would have benefitted from some salt and pepper too.   Did I mention that early morning visitors can definitely throw you off your breakfast game? 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

I took the last of the egg bites from my refrigerator, quartered it, give it a little colour in some hot butter along with some quartered Campari tomatoes and garnished with some chopped scallions. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

I had two breakfasts today. Something disturbed my sleep and I woke up early (6:30) and although I am on holiday and don't need to get up at all, I was hungry, so I staggered to the kitchen, made coffee and a bacon sandwich, then went off to enjoy it. Got diverted by an irritating cyber-bully who needed answering. When I was finished with that I was tired again, so I went back to bed at maybe 7:30. 

Woke up again at ten and went for some xiaolongbao in the place I've mentioned many times.

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

Zoodles, diced tomatoes, hot pepper flakes and grano padano topped with a 63°C egg (cooked for what felt like 45 minutes but could've been more or less).  I don't trust the timer on the Joule because it only beeps once and I frequently miss it so I set the timer on my stove.   But then my four-legged houseguest decided to stroll across the surface of my stove hitting all sorts of buttons which potentially could start the self-clean function on my oven!  So I turned on the control lock which disables all the buttons but of course it also disabled the timer.  Duh. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

another very cold SnowDay here , and more coming up:

I thought a FCO would help :

S1.jpg

its the last one !

S22.jpg

those w a deep understanding of how to cook Scrapple can see the pan is two crowded .  one needs a bit of elbow room for The Flipping

S3.jpg

I ate a couple of the deformed ones.  Scrapple must be crispy on each side , and deliciously mushy in the midde

Blizzard Deux coming up tomorrow.  Resupply will have to wait.

• Like 8

rotuts - do you know I have never tried scrapple?  I have no objection to it in theory, but I've never had the opportunity.  I understand that the quality can vary wildly based on the brand.  Down here in the South, we have livermush, which I refused to taste as a child, but would like to try now.

• Like 1