• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 1)

Anna N

25 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Woke up feeling a bit off-colour this morning. Probably too much banana bread and cheese just recently.

So, for breakfast a simple hard boiled egg and buttery toast.

bfast.jpg

Is it just me, or does that egg seem to have an abnormally large white-to-yolk ratio? Maybe it's the way it's cut...

In any event, hope it did the trick and you're feeling better.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 minutes ago, kayb said:

Is it just me, or does that egg seem to have an abnormally large white-to-yolk ratio? Maybe it's the way it's cut...

In any event, hope it did the trick and you're feeling better.

Thanks. Yes, it was just the way I cut it. Too near the top. The egg was normal. I wasn't.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. When you feed yourself what your body needs when it needs it, that's love. So, give your body some TLC and sit down and enjoy a good, substantial breakfast. 

Breakfast of poached eggs,  bacon, toast,  papaya juice, and Bali coffee on Batu Belig Beach,  Bali,  Indonesia 

FB_IMG_1484197871710.jpg

• Like 13

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

image.jpeg

Home-made bacon on toasted English muffin. 

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Eggs.jpgSoft style scrambled eggs :  butter + beaten eggs low temp until custard like but still soft

EM  * CSB of course "  generic bacon , microwaved  .  bit of green onion for CheffieNess

Sooo  good !

doest get much better  than this.  green onions even is very small amounts make a difference !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 10

@quiet1  I feel for ya!  Soup is not always enough for a meal, or desired for breakfast.    This current sinus "event" has led me into desperation, so I am having TEA. Just tea. Homemade, no less.  My daughter (18)  insists that hot pepper sauce will open things up. Not a big fan of hot sauce, and the selection around here is pretty limited. So, I made tea. Squeezed in the juice from half a lemon, cut up a piece of gingeroot- 5-6 slices, threw in a cut up dried chile of some sort...it had a Scoville rating of 5. added a few cups of water and simmered.  I poured a bit of honey in my mug, then strained the "tea" into the mug. Hindsight being 20-20, the honey was not really necessary since I can't taste anything at this point, so I haven't a clue what the flavor was like....but damn! it was hot. My mouth is still burning.  One of the sinus passages is clear now, though.:D 

• Like 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

28 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

@quiet1  I feel for ya!  Soup is not always enough for a meal, or desired for breakfast.    This current sinus "event" has led me into desperation, so I am having TEA. Just tea. Homemade, no less.  My daughter (18)  insists that hot pepper sauce will open things up. Not a big fan of hot sauce, and the selection around here is pretty limited. So, I made tea. Squeezed in the juice from half a lemon, cut up a piece of gingeroot- 5-6 slices, threw in a cut up dried chile of some sort...it had a Scoville rating of 5. added a few cups of water and simmered.  I poured a bit of honey in my mug, then strained the "tea" into the mug. Hindsight being 20-20, the honey was not really necessary since I can't taste anything at this point, so I haven't a clue what the flavor was like....but damn! it was hot. My mouth is still burning.  One of the sinus passages is clear now, though.:D 

Honey is usually soothing on your threat so you might as well consider it medicinal anyway, especially with the chile. :D I don't much care for the burn of chilies when I'm already feeling bad, so I usually just go heavy on the ginger so it's very spicy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, quiet1 said:

Honey is usually soothing on your threat

Wow! Poetry on eG!

(Sorry, I shouldn't laugh at anyone's typos. The world knows I make enough myself)

Anyway, I just dropped by to say that I am sick, too. I think I'll survive but I want to do more than that.

20 minutes ago, quiet1 said:

I don't much care for the burn of chilies when I'm already feeling bad, so I usually just go heavy on the ginger so it's very spicy.

I'm a big fan of home made ginger tea when I have colds, but the best solution I found was the chilli vodka I was prescribed by a doctor in Moscow in the 1980s. I don't know that it cured the cold, but it certainly made me forget it.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Wow! Poetry on eG!

(Sorry, I shouldn't laugh at anyone's typos. The world knows I make enough myself)

Anyway, I just dropped by to say that I am sick, too. I think I'll survive but I want to do more than that.

I'm a big fan of home made ginger tea when I have colds, but the best solution I found was the chilli vodka I was prescribed by a doctor in Moscow in the 1980s. I don't know that it cured the cold, but it certainly made me forget it.

If the chili vodka will work on sinuses, then I shall head out to find some NOW. If the local grocer doesn't have it, I will head to the ShottleBot. If they don't have it, I will try to make some.  Just soak chilis in a bottle of vodka, I assume?   A little Jager might do the job, come to think of it..... that stuff will scorch anything in its path!  So perhaps a shot of that in some tea?   Hmmm.  

Thank you kindly for the tips. I cannot stand having my head under so much pressure while trying to tile floors---so off I go. I shall report back as to what I find, and what works. 

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

1 minute ago, ChocoMom said:

If the chili vodka will work on sinuses, then I shall head out to find some NOW. If the local grocer doesn't have it, I will head to the ShottleBot. If they don't have it, I will try to make some.  Just soak chilis in a bottle of vodka, I assume?

I guess soaking the chillies in the vodka, but I don't know how long. I just bought it pre-made from the local vodka dispensary. I have found it China and in London, too.

I don't know where you are, but a good purveyor of essentials should stock it.

44 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Wow! Poetry on eG!

Not even a typo, that was entirely autocorrect. Drives me nuts - I get it right when I'm typing and then sometime later it decides it knows better and switches things. NOT HELPFUL. But sometimes it is helpful so I leave it turned on. :)

1 minute ago, quiet1 said:

Not even a typo, that was entirely autocorrect. Drives me nuts - I get it right when I'm typing and then sometime later it decides it knows better and switches things. NOT HELPFUL. But sometimes it is helpful so I leave it turned on. :)

I know. Just teasing.

• Like 2

image.jpeg

Savoury oatmeal.  Steel cut oats cooked in the Instant Pot with some chicken broth, onions and garlic.  Combination of cheddar and Gruyere cheese stirred in then topped with sautéed mushrooms, scallions and a sunnyside egg.  Oats were a little too al dente  and would've benefitted from more cheese and perhaps more salt.  Worth futzing with. 

• Like 12

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I do not like oatmeal yet I feel like I should.  it's something from my childhood when I had to eat it for breakfast many time during the winter season (Midwest = snow time).

I have bought steel cut oats (Bob's Red Mill) and would like to find a way to cook them that would be good. I have a rice cooker (Zojirushi) that has a porridge setting.  For me I think it's mostly the texture that I object to.

Are there additions to the oats that are better than others?

I cook my steel cut oats in a fuzzy rice cooker on the porridge setting .  I use milk rather than just water.  it works very well.

as I understand it , milk scorches in the iPot.

after the oats are cooked , I then save them in a refrigerator in a sealed container and scoop out what i want for breakfast then microwave that.

the oats need more milk than one might think  ( or water )  and i add a small additional amount when i reheat.   I like dried cranberries in my  ( TJ's )

you can of course add anything you like , including spices  :  cinnamon is nice , as is a little brown sugar etc

superb with  toast for some reason.   a dab of butter in the oatmeal on reheating ties it nicely w the toast.

the Rx came from this book :

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rice-Cooker-Cookbook-Porridges/dp/1558326677/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1484411798&sr=1-1&keywords=ultimate+rice+cooker+cookbook

here is the Rx  " Old Fashioned steel-cut oatmeal 

1/14 C steel cut oats    3 cups cold water  pinch of salt   maple syrup and milk for serving  

add a touch of butter to the contents in the Fuzzy before you start the porridge cycle    it helps prevent 

foaming up .

keep track of the liquid / dry ratio and then you can adjust to your liking.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I had the same issue with porridge. If it was not eaten for breakfast it reappeared at lunch but this time it was cold and practically solid. But I quite enjoyed the savoury oatmeal I had for breakfast up thread. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog