• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 1)

Anna N

I have, apparently, lost my ability to make biscuits. These TASTE good, but dammit, they won't rise for anything. And I used to make FINE biscuits; won a contest back in the dark ages when I was in 4H club in junior high school.

brakfast 0107.jpg

It was a good breakfast, regardless; jamon iberico from Aldi (last package in the store, and unfortunately, I missed the pork belly), farm eggs, scrambled with a bit of cream, biscuits and pear preserves. Lots of good Brazilian coffee. 

If I could just make a biscuit again.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Awesome breakfast. I've never had jamon iberico, so I'm jealous.

@kayb ,I'm sure you have checked out your baking powder, but still, that's the place I'd start. New package? Maybe an older package that's past it's prime?

I absolutely hate that, when I've made a recipe in the past sometimes for many years, and now it no longer works. I am there with my white yeast bread. I used to make a white milk bread from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. It was the only bread we ever had in the house. I made two loaves a week, and my then-husband and I have been known to polish off the fist loaf warm out of the oven with butter, between us. Oh for a youthful metabolism again! I tried the exact recipe after years of not making yeast breads, and the result was so depressing, I've not tried again. I absolutely feel your pain here.

I did buy flour and yeast, so maybe I am getting a over my discouragement a little. Maybe.

Good luck, and don't give up. We should forge ahead. We can do this. I think you have inspired me to try my yeast bread again. :)

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpeg

Had a little Parmesan barley left over from yesterday so I scrambled a couple of eggs tossed in some chopped up tomatoes and had breakfast. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Breakfasts have been late affairs through the holidays. Usually something quick and easy while trying to get other work done.

Toasted leftover French bread with cilantro and an avocado sprinkled with chili-lime seasoning - none of the ingredients homemade9_9 The day was then busy with making baos!

Avocado & Cilantro on French bread0001.jpg

Today, enjoyed one of the dozens of steamed baos I made yesterday, filled with chicken, Chinese mushroom, Chinese sausage, bound together with oyster sauce. Baos filled with char siu or just a big piece of Chinese sausage were also made. Many of the baos went to our son's house (3 bao-hungry grandkids), but still have a couple of dozens in the freezer for quick meals

Bao0005.jpg

• Like 8

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

image.jpeg

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I had quite a bit of cut up cubanelle peppers in the fridge that I decided not to use in another dish, so, this morning I sauteed them up with some olive oil, and garlic, a few Bermuda onions, Roma tomatoes and capers and made a ratatouille of sorts. I put this on Italian toast and broiled it with a few slices of Brie. It made for a nice cold weather breakfast!

HC

IMG_0773.JPGIMG_0772.JPGIMG_0770.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 8

On Friday, January 06, 2017 at 11:57 AM, robirdstx said:

Late Breakfast/Early Lunch

IMG_0153.JPG

Braunschweiger and a thin slice of Onion on toasted Honey Wheat with Mayo

Mustard > Mayo here

• Like 2

I can think of a couple of people whom this will horrify, but remain unrepentant.

20170110_115404.jpg

Home made banana bread with cheddar cheese and home made spicy mango relish. Several servings were served.

Relish recipe here.

Closeup:

20170110_115411.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
added link (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The banana bread and spicy mango relish really appeals to me.  Perhaps with cream cheese?  Or goat cheese?  Maybe Brie?  But cheddar?  No.  

But I know I've supplied enough peanut butter and banana combos to horrify the sensibilities of some people :P so I won't say more.

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The banana bread and spicy mango relish really appeals to me.  Perhaps with cream cheese?  Or goat cheese?  Maybe Brie?  But cheddar?  No.  

But I know I've supplied enough peanut butter and banana combos to horrify the sensibilities of some people :P so I won't say more.

I really can't see cream cheese working for me. Too bland. The sweet bread/cake and the rich spicy relish need a stronger cheese. A whiffy goat cheese, yes. Perhaps a good brie. The cheddar I used was an extra-sharp variety and the balance of the three really works - for me!

Anyway, it's irrelevant. That cheese is the only edible one I can conveniently get here in virtually no-cheese land.

You can keep your peanut butter/banana combinations, though! :P:P

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou

While I will stand by my assertion that the banana bread and cheddar cheese combination is an abomination I will defend to the death your right to behave with abominable immoderation. Blech. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh boy. Why not just push drugs?  And by the way your link leads to @Monica Bhide who was a valued member of this community. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Oh boy. Why not just push drugs?  And by the way your link leads to @Monica Bhide who was a valued member of this community. 

Yes, indeed!  She was still active here when I first joined, and of course in the prior years when I lurked regularly :$!  I'm currently reading her very food-related novel, Karma and the Art of Butter Chickenir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=099766241

@SobaAddict70  @ProfessionalHobbit posted a version of this using turkey eggs in the breakfast thread a few years ago but the link in his post no longer worked so I was happy to find the recipe on her site.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

This was suppose to be last night's dinner.  But I decided on something else.

Prime Rib Tomohawk Steak January 10th, 2017.jpg

I grilled the Prime Rib Tomahawk for breakfast. Presalted on Monday and left uncovered overnight in the fridge to air dry.

Grilled Prime Rib Tomahawk steak 1.jpg

Served with roasted potatoes and green beans.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 17