• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

I cook my steel cut oats in a fuzzy rice cooker on the porridge setting .  I use milk rather than just water.  it works very well.

as I understand it , milk scorches in the iPot.

after the oats are cooked , I then save them in a refrigerator in a sealed container and scoop out what i want for breakfast then microwave that.

the oats need more milk than one might think  ( or water )  and i add a small additional amount when i reheat.   I like dried cranberries in my  ( TJ's )

you can of course add anything you like , including spices  :  cinnamon is nice , as is a little brown sugar etc

superb with  toast for some reason.   a dab of butter in the oatmeal on reheating ties it nicely w the toast.

the Rx came from this book :

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rice-Cooker-Cookbook-Porridges/dp/1558326677/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1484411798&sr=1-1&keywords=ultimate+rice+cooker+cookbook

here is the Rx  " Old Fashioned steel-cut oatmeal 

1/14 C steel cut oats    3 cups cold water  pinch of salt   maple syrup and milk for serving  

add a touch of butter to the contents in the Fuzzy before you start the porridge cycle    it helps prevent 

foaming up .

keep track of the liquid / dry ratio and then you can adjust to your liking.

rotuts

rotuts

I cook my steel cut oats in a fuzzy rice cooker on the porridge setting .  I use milk rather than just water.  it works very well.

as I understand it , milk scorches in the iPot.

after the oats are cooked , I then save them in a refrigerator in a sealed container and scoop out what i want for breakfast then microwave that.

the oats need more milk than one might think  ( or water )  and i add a small additional amount when i reheat.   I like dried cranberries in my  ( TJ's )

you can of course add anything you like , including spices  :  cinnamon is nice , as is a little brown sugar etc

superb with  toast for some reason.   a dab of butter in the oatmeal on reheating ties it nicely w the toast.