• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredients via Internet

JoNorvelleWalker

• 4 months later...

"Shameless plug" dept, though explicitly disclosed...Just recently discovered that one of my years-ago culinary classmates, now a consultant/food stylist/popup-event vendor, has begun selling spice mixes as a COVID-era revenue generator.

Thrown out there, should anyone be interested.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 year later...

I like to have mustard on hand, particularly since this summer I've been eating hotdogs.  However a small jar can last a couple years.  I was beginning to get low, so I checked what was on the shelves at Shoprite.  None of the Shoprite offerings turned me on.

Finally I ordered an interesting French mustard from Supermarket Italy:  Moutarde de Meaux Pommery.  I hope it's good.  The jar is half a kilogram.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I like to have mustard on hand, particularly since this summer I've been eating hotdogs.  However a small jar can last a couple years.  I was beginning to get low, so I checked what was on the shelves at Shoprite.  None of the Shoprite offerings turned me on.

Finally I ordered an interesting French mustard from Supermarket Italy:  Moutarde de Meaux Pommery.  I hope it's good.  The jar is half a kilogram.

It’s okay, and a nice jar.  

But if Amazon has Amora, it’s possibly better. And a worse jar.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

It’s okay, and a nice jar.  

But if Amazon has Amora, it’s possibly better. And a worse jar.

But isn't the one Jo ordered a whole grain versus Amora more what we know as Dijon style? Love the crocks and Trader Joes used to carry it way backa when but not my choice. Standard pem/pencil holders in my offices. Just pass me some Loewensenf and I m good.  https://www.amazon.com/Loewensenf-Extra-Hot-German-Mustard/dp/B001IAQ8KC

Edited by heidih (log)

20 minutes ago, heidih said:

But isn't the one Jo ordered a whole grain versus Amora more what we know as Dijon style? Love the crocks and Trader Joes used to carry it way backa when but not my choice. Standard pem/pencil holders in my offices. Just pass me some Loewensenf and I m good.  https://www.amazon.com/Loewensenf-Extra-Hot-German-Mustard/dp/B001IAQ8KC

Until I open the 500g wax sealed jar I have no idea.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

20 minutes ago, heidih said:

But isn't the one Jo ordered a whole grain versus Amora more what we know as Dijon style?

The only Moutarde de Meaux Pommery I’ve had was that grainy style. I do like it with sausages and the crocks are fun. 

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Until I open the 500g wax sealed jar I have no idea.

Please be careful!

• Haha 3