• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredients via Internet

JoNorvelleWalker

I started this thread about sourcing Vacche Rosse from parmashop.it.  Oddly tonight amazon was recommending Vacche Rosse for me.  Turns out Parmashop now has an amazon storefront for the convenience of those interested in such delicacies.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Has anyone purchased beef tallow online? I've been looking at it on Amazon and found some companies brag about no flavoring in the tallow and others brag about the beefy flavor in their product. So it's a little confusing. 

I hope someone has a trusted online source that's not too pricey. 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

If you can get your hands on some leaf fat from your butcher it is really easy to render fat....put the fat in a food processor to make a paste.  Put that into a double boiler...I use my Kitchen Aid metal bowl set over a large pot of simmering water.  Let it go most of the day.  Put it through a fine strainer into sterilized jars and store in fridge and/or freezer.

i get pork leaf lard from my butcher...they keep it frozen.  Beef leaf lard might require a special order.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Tempted by @hsm I purchased a book of Ethiopian cookery.  Now I am looking for Ethiopian ingredients.  Does anyone have experience with spicetrekkers.com?

On 4/24/2019 at 11:45 AM, Toliver said:

Has anyone purchased beef tallow online? I've been looking at it on Amazon and found some companies brag about no flavoring in the tallow and others brag about the beefy flavor in their product. So it's a little confusing. 

I hope someone has a trusted online source that's not too pricey. 

I think first that you have to consider your intended use in order to determine which style you need.   

I tend to enjoy beefy or porky flavors in rendered fats.    I'm thinking of the wonderful aroma of pork fat that derives from carnitas or rillettes, or a beefy fat to augment a crust for apple pie.    

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

• 2 weeks later...

Hearing no dissent, I ordered from spicetrekkers.com.  Free shipping to US and Canada with a $75 order.  Largest selection of spices I remember seeing.  Including odd Quebecois foraged herbs.

• Like 2

Spicetrekkers order came as promised.  Not that I read French.  In my haste to get the package open I shredded the invoice.  Too tired tonight to investigate, but it appears there is a lagniappe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Does anyone know of a source of roggen mehl type 997 in the US?  Or that will ship to the US?

Is that rye flour?  Googling around, I see that there are different types.  You have probably thought about this already but if you have a German or Austrian store near you you could ask them about it.  I am going to a Dutch store today and although they carry limited baking supplies I'll ask them about it.  If they have what you are looking for I can buy some and send it to you.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Does anyone know of a source of roggen mehl type 997 in the US?  Or that will ship to the US?

I know you are wanting to source the real deal but Karin on Brot & Bread opines that roggenmehl typ 997 is similar to the white rye flour that can be purchased from King Arthur.  Might do in a pinch.

She also says that the King Arthur medium rye is similar to roggenmehl typ 1370 and the two can be mixed together to approximate roggenmehl typ 1150.

Too bad you missed your opportunity to have @Duvel hand a packet off on his recent EWR layover......edited to add:  what could ever be suspicious about a kilo or two of white powder????

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Too bad you missed your opportunity to have @Duvel hand a packet off on his recent EWR layover...

Yup. @JoNorvelleWalker will need to wait for my next trip ...

I once transported 2kg of curing salt in my hand luggage to HK (not dyed pink in Germany). Very, very interesting and time consuming discussions with airport security ...

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I know you are wanting to source the real deal but Karin on Brot & Bread opines that roggenmehl typ 997 is similar to the white rye flour that can be purchased from King Arthur.  Might do in a pinch.

She also says that the King Arthur medium rye is similar to roggenmehl typ 1370 and the two can be mixed together to approximate roggenmehl typ 1150.

Too bad you missed your opportunity to have @Duvel hand a packet off on his recent EWR layover......edited to add:  what could ever be suspicious about a kilo or two of white powder????

Thanks for the link.  I have King Arthur white rye, and have baked with it once; but I thought 997 might be a finer grind?  I would not turn up my nose at a Dutch or Austrian equivalent as long as it is finely milled.

20 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have written a couple of times before about the flours I have ordered from The NEW YORK BAKERS - who, oddly, are in San Diego.

They have a great selection of  RYE FLOURS  AND IT IS A SPECIALTY .    

And, if you are confused about anything,  CALL THEM!  I have and they are great and very helpful. 

The New York Bakers

2934 National Ave., Suite E

San Diego, CA 92113

(619) 508-7720

They have selections of flours in  "Flour Pantries"  where you get an assortment of several flours in smaller amounts so you can try them.

I don't know of any other vendor that does this.

I got the pumpernickle flour pantry and really had some fantastic results with it.  So take a look at the list of Flour Pantries.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

P.S.  I baked some modified pumpernickle in a 4x4 pullman pan and sliced it very then to make Rye Melba toast.  Turned out perfect.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:41 PM, andiesenji said:

I have written a couple of times before about the flours I have ordered from The NEW YORK BAKERS - who, oddly, are in San Diego.

They have a great selection of  RYE FLOURS  AND IT IS A SPECIALTY .    

And, if you are confused about anything,  CALL THEM!  I have and they are great and very helpful. 

The New York Bakers

2934 National Ave., Suite E

San Diego, CA 92113

(619) 508-7720

They have selections of flours in  "Flour Pantries"  where you get an assortment of several flours in smaller amounts so you can try them.

I don't know of any other vendor that does this.

I got the pumpernickle flour pantry and really had some fantastic results with it.  So take a look at the list of Flour Pantries.

Thanks, I placed an order for Bay State White Rye Flour.  Shipping was more than the cost of the two bags of flour.  And I must say the New York Bakers checkout process is the most unfriendly I have encountered in some years.

But Modernist Bread says Bay State White Rye is an acceptable substitute for the European rye I'm looking for.

• 5 months later...

After tonight's dinner I am near the bottom of a bottle of Lee Kum Kee light soy sauce.  Are there other brands of Chinese soy sauce I should consider that I can obtain here?

Worst case, I have dark soy sauce and tons* of Japanese and Taiwanese soy sauces that could make do in a pandemic.

*well, liters and liters.

24 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

After tonight's dinner I am near the bottom of a bottle of Lee Kum Kee light soy sauce.  Are there other brands of Chinese soy sauce I should consider that I can obtain here?

Worst case, I have dark soy sauce and tons* of Japanese and Taiwanese soy sauces that could make do in a pandemic.

*well, liters and liters.

I don't know what you have access to, but most soy sauces are better than Lee Kum Kee's! Dark soy sauce is not a substitute for light, but Japanese is OK.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

24 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I don't know what you have access to, but most soy sauces are better than Lee Kum Kee's! Dark soy sauce is not a substitute for light, but Japanese is OK.

Pearl River Bridge if you can get it is good.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Pearl River Bridge if you can get it is good.

It's available pretty much everywhere in Canada, so I expect you could find it in New Jersey.

Years ago I was the only non-Chinese person on my block in Vancouver, and it didn't take long for me to realize that they all used Pearl River Bridge. So I started using it too, and still do.

(Note that this was nearly 40 years ago, so there may be premium or artisanal brands available now that weren't then. But still, it's as good as any mass-produced soy sauce I've tried.)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

14 minutes ago, chromedome said:

It's available pretty much everywhere in Canada, so I expect you could find it in New Jersey.

Years ago I was the only non-Chinese person on my block in Vancouver, and it didn't take long for me to realize that they all used Pearl River Bridge. So I started using it too, and still do.

(Note that this was nearly 40 years ago, so there may be premium or artisanal brands available now that weren't then. But still, it's as good as any mass-produced soy sauce I've tried.)

Of course there are better brands, but hard to find and expensive. Pearl River Bridge is one one of the best internationally available mass-produced, that's all. 

The brands I use are probably not available in North America - I don't know, but I do have some "artisanal sauces", but don't always use them. I usually use a more common brand. Depends what I'm cooking.

Edited by liuzhou (log)