• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredients via Internet

JoNorvelleWalker

I haven't looked into it, but I had an email tonight from parmashop.com -- the vendor that prompted this thread -- that they can finally ship Parma wine to the US.  I can't believe it is so easy but when I buy more cheese I will find out.

As far as I know they still cannot ship meat products from Italy to the US.

OK, I did look into it -- they offer four different Parma wines* shipped to the US in quantities of three bottles each.

*Three, if you skip the Spumante.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 month later...

In preparation for Santa's Spectacular Tonawanda Workshop 2018, I went to my local candy making supply store to pick up some chocolate cookie bits for my peppermint bark. They used to sell the perfect kind - just like the ones in cookies & creme chocolate bars - not chopped up cookies, but little individual pellets almost. Anyway, turns out the shop has undergone some changes and their selection has drastically diminished - not only did they not have these in stock, they had no idea when or if they ever would. I have scoured the internet and all I can find are cookie shards and mangled Oreos, and even nuts.com doesn't have what I'm looking for. I can't think nobody makes or sells them; I think I must be using the wrong term - permutations of the words "chocolate" "cookie" "pieces" and "bits". Does anyone have an online source for these little buggers?

Patty

What about mirin? Does anyone have a source for non-cooking mirin (without a wallop of salt added) that will ship to me in New York State? I'm not close enough to any major city with a Chinatown, nor do I have plans to travel to one in the near future, to easily replenish my supply.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

4 hours ago, patris said:

In preparation for Santa's Spectacular Tonawanda Workshop 2018, I went to my local candy making supply store to pick up some chocolate cookie bits for my peppermint bark. They used to sell the perfect kind - just like the ones in cookies & creme chocolate bars - not chopped up cookies, but little individual pellets almost. Anyway, turns out the shop has undergone some changes and their selection has drastically diminished - not only did they not have these in stock, they had no idea when or if they ever would. I have scoured the internet and all I can find are cookie shards and mangled Oreos, and even nuts.com doesn't have what I'm looking for. I can't think nobody makes or sells them; I think I must be using the wrong term - permutations of the words "chocolate" "cookie" "pieces" and "bits". Does anyone have an online source for these little buggers?

Are these they?

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Are these they?

Nope - those have the cookie pieces in them - what I'm looking for is just the naked cookie bits. I had a package left over from last year - this is what they look like:

5a01b79cb34d2_IMG_25071.thumb.JPG.b26fb84548b34576a28bdcbca089518a.JPG

(Sorry it's so blurry)

I spent a fair while last night hunting for them and came up empty. I'm thinking I might just make chocolate feuilletine and use that - not as crunchy, but I'm sure it will make for an equally moreish peppermint bark.

Patty

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How about a retail source of agresto?

I didn't know what this was, so when I Googled, references to verjuice also came up. They both seem to be made of unripe grapes, but I was unable to determine if they are actually the same thing. Anyway, internet sources came up for verjuice.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I didn't know what this was, so when I Googled, references to verjuice also came up. They both seem to be made of unripe grapes, but I was unable to determine if they are actually the same thing. Anyway, internet sources came up for verjuice.

Agresto seems to contain honey and other stuff.  It's used in Bugialli's recipes.

Perhaps another possibility for @Pan

I was thinking the Stanilaus Tomtoes and Saporito Paste recommended by Modernist Bread, since they sell to trade only. But realize the cans are not really resale size.

My latest project has been Georgian cuisine.  Thanks to Tiko Tuskadze's book Supra here are some US suppliers of ingredients:

https://www.bazaarspices.com/

http://www.georgiangourmet.com/

http://georgianwinehouse.com/

She also lists suppliers in the UK and Australia.  I had been using Indian fenugreek instead of blue fenugreek, who knew?

• Like 1

1734AC73-7F98-4867-BCF1-61BA6C04F52B.thumb.jpeg.7b846f30a4f9ac01df0fc3a107616725.jpeg

Penzey’s Order. I had run out of the Turkish Seasoning and Mexican Oregano, and being too lazy to drive into Houston, ordered online and added a few other items, as well. Delivery today! Received free shipping and some free product, too!

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

I am in need of wild rice...because of reasons.

The brand I had been buying is Natal which seems to be unobtainable at the moment.  Can anyone suggest a source of non-cultivated wild rice similar to Natal?  Or does anyone know where I can find Natal?

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Seems too inexpensive to be the real thing or am I missing something?

I haven't tried their wild rice but I have gotten some of their freeze dried veg. mix as well as their soup mix.

What I have tried from there was really excellent.  Their customer ratings are very, very good.

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Seems too inexpensive to be the real thing or am I missing something?

A comparison of their "wild-harvested" Canadian wild rice with their "Minnesota grown" wild rice suggests to me that their Minnesota wild rice is cultivated. That might account for some of the lower price you see. It appears that they also haven't parched it yet; note the dark hull that they preserve. If you've been buying the hand-parched wild rice before now that may also account for some of the lower price.

It appears my preferred source of wild (not cultivated) wild rice, the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe, doesn't sell by mail, but some of the other Minnesota and Wisconsin sources do. Check out this site: Sources for Hand-Harvested Wild Rice, from the Native Wild Rice Coalition.

eta: Actually, the Leech Lake Band provides email contact information, so maybe they will sell by mail. It's worth a try.

Edited by Smithy
Corrected the record (log)
  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Pretty hard to beat Rancho Gordo's wild rice, in my book. I do not pretend to be enough of a wild rice connoisseur to tell you whether it's wild or cultivated.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...

The wild rice I ended up with is Bineshii, hand harvested and wood parched but not the most expensive stuff.  The package came today.  It looks good.  I confess the reason I chose Bineshii is because they have an amazon storefront:

1 LB MN WILD RICE AMERICAN INDIAN HAND HARVESTED... 

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon link (log)

• 1 month later...

I came here to post about my latest Parmigiano Reggiano but I see I failed to report back on the Bineshii wild rice.  I find it excellent and it cooks quite quickly.  (This is their second grade product, not the top shelf stuff.)

Anyhow, I received another order from Parmashop while they were offering 10% off everything.  Restocks of Vacche Rosse 4 year and two packages of the Valtaro Porcini that I liked so much.  What was new this time was a kilo of Bonati Giorgio 10 year.

• 5 months later...

It was internet wild rice again.  Addicting, I cannot be without it.  I've been very pleased with the Bineshii brand.  This time I splurged for their top of the line "ghost" rice.  The problem with wild rice that's about $4 a serving is I'd like to dine on it several times a week.

Sort of like single origin fine chocolate the rice is sourced from a single lake or river bed.  Bineshii has an amazon storefront.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
spelling (log)
  • Like 2

As an update, the ghost rice is lovely but I'm not sure I could distinguish it from the less expensive Bineshii at about $3 a serving.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, quiet1 said:

Does anyone have an excellent mail order source for cheese? I am specifically looking to get Raclette in non-huge amounts. Like, we do not need a quarter of a wheel.

I have been ordering my favorite cheeses from iGourmet (along with other goodies) for quite a few years.  I have tried many of their cheeses and never had a complaint.

(Caerphilly is my favorite cheese and I order a wheel once a year)

I have also ordered from Ideal Cheese co and from Murray's Cheese. 

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett