• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredients via Internet

JoNorvelleWalker

Too bad Despana only ships within the US - would love to have tried a bottle of the

Montegrato Pedro Ximenez Sherry Vinegar 16 Years

noted above.

Perhaps someone has an interest in a Canadian maple syrup swap? :P

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Because one author, I recall Paula Wolfert though I am not sure, recommended Jamaican ginger as the correct type of ginger for Moroccan cooking.

That's odd because I thought that they preferred Cochin ginger - there used to be an online Moroccan vendor who sold tagines - I bought several from them - and they sold a few spices, including Cochin ginger because of its "special attributes" - and I bought some, which is when I became extremely picky about ginger.  They went out of business a few years ago and I switched to another vendor, not at all happy with that ginger or another that I tried.  Then I found this one that has that distinct lemony flavor with a lot of "bite" and strong ginger flavor.  Healthworks does not claim that their product is 100% Cochin but enough of it is that it does have that distinct flavor.  

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

7 hours ago, TicTac said:

Too bad Despana only ships within the US - would love to have tried a bottle of the

Montegrato Pedro Ximenez Sherry Vinegar 16 Years

noted above.

Perhaps someone has an interest in a Canadian maple syrup swap? :P

I'll swap sherry vinegar for maple syrup. As long as the shipping doesn't make it crazy.

Notes from the underbelly

9 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I'll swap sherry vinegar for maple syrup. As long as the shipping doesn't make it crazy.

Beauty!

Looks like you are in NY - I am a stone's throw across the border in Toronto.  My guess is shipping will be about $20 or so.  I will check it out.

Shoot me a PM and let me know what type of Maple syrup you are interested in :)

I have a report on "Coffee Flour"  a fairly new product made from the coffee "cherries" that are usually discarded.

I've been reading about it for a few months and noted that some people were very enthusiastic about it.  

It does not have even a hint of "coffee flavor" but tastes a bit like some dried fruits - which is what it actually is.

I was ordering from Nuts.com and noticed that they had coffee flour and ordered some.

I used some in oatmeal cookies, substituting just 1/4 cup for regular flour which called for 2 cups.

They turned out quite nice - I had to add a bit more liquid because this stuff soaks it up and retains it.

I then used a bit more 1/2 a cup this time - plus 1 1/2 cups Odlum's cream flour - in banana bread - because of how much moisture it soaks up, I used an extra egg and the liquid from the bananas - I use America's test kitchen "trick" of microwaving the bananas for 5 minutes and then draining off the liquid to be added back in later.  No dairy in this recipe.

The texture is excellent, the bread is tender and moist.  

There are not many recipes online so far but  this may be the "next big thing" in baking.  

About Coffee Flour

• Like 10

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Can anyone recommend a source of Fiore Sardo?  There are a couple of sellers on amazon.  Not all may be D.O.P.  Checked iGourmet but they are out of stock.  Also looked on amazon.it.  From what I've read Fiore Sardo is seasonal and that may be the problem.

Here is the iGourmet URL:

http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Fiore-Sardo---Whole-Wheel.asp?cat=&subcat=&cf=usp_ListSearchResults_Sel&cprod=

I don't mind ordering from Italy if I can complete the transaction in English.  I'd be willing to order a whole wheel if I knew it was the good stuff.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

39 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Can anyone recommend a source of Fiore Sardo?  There are a couple of sellers on amazon.  Not all may be D.O.P.  Checked iGourmet but they are out of stock.  Also looked on amazon.it.  From what I've read Fiore Sardo is seasonal and that may be the problem.

Here is the iGourmet URL:

http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Fiore-Sardo---Whole-Wheel.asp?cat=&subcat=&cf=usp_ListSearchResults_Sel&cprod=

I don't mind ordering from Italy if I can complete the transaction in English.  I'd be willing to order a whole wheel if I knew it was the good stuff.

In my experience Fiore Sardo is a very available cheese across the US. I buy it here in the East Bay and have bought it in Walla Walla, WA, New Mexico and New York. I've always found it to be a reliable cheese when traveling, not only because it is easy to find but also because it stands up well on car trips. If you can't buy it in NJ you can certainly order it from Murray's in NYC. I admit I've never paid any attention to the season but it seems like it is always around. Am I missing something?

46 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

In my experience Fiore Sardo is a very available cheese across the US. I buy it here in the East Bay and have bought it in Walla Walla, WA, New Mexico and New York. I've always found it to be a reliable cheese when traveling, not only because it is easy to find but also because it stands up well on car trips. If you can't buy it in NJ you can certainly order it from Murray's in NYC. I admit I've never paid any attention to the season but it seems like it is always around. Am I missing something?

Yes, I saw it listed at Murray's.  Does not say D.O.P.  There are excellent cheese mongers down in Princeton, a few miles from here.  But four miles might as well be in Sardinia.

• Like 1

Anyone have experience with Formaggio Kitchen?

http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/

I blame @Paul Fink but I have become addicted to Martin Pouret red wine vinegar:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/154258-ingredients-via-internet/?do=findComment&comment=2087808

Last night I finished my last bottle.  Amazon and almost everyone else in the free world is out of it.*  One site explained that the importer had dropped the product.  Formaggio Kitchen says they have it.  Hence my question.

*forgive any ethanol induced hyperbole.

I ordered some from Formaggio Kitchen.  Three small bottles, quite expensive, I forget how much.  Now it's rationed.  Over the years, I've ordered various items from FC & have found it to be very reliable with relatively quick delivery & consistent high quality.  I'm on my next-to-last bottle & hope to bring some back from France next month.

I had a chance to go shopping down in Princeton today.  I went looking for Martin Pouret red wine vinegar and Fiore Sardo.  I found a Martin Pouret vinegar, but not Martin Pouret red wine vinegar.  No Fiore Sardo either.  But I did buy a pound of Podda Classico.  Very tasty cheese.  My son and grandson purchased half a pound.

Bottom line:  I am back to the mercy of the internet for Fiore Sardo and vinegar.

I seldom buy bacon.  But today I received bacon from amazon worthy of the world's attention:

L Halteman Family Meats, Hickory Home-Smoked Pork... 

Not too thick, not too thin.  This bacon smells wonderful, even raw, and the best thing there is no impenetrable vacuum packaging.  It comes in butcher's paper.  There are three options:  hickory, apple, and hickory with skin.  It actually looks like the product picture.

I cooked up three strips by the usual Joy of Cooking oven method -- CSO, steam bake, 350 deg F, 10 minutes.  Eggs and English muffins.  I am replete.

Edit:  five options, I forgot to mention maple glazed and peppered.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I seldom buy bacon.  But today I received bacon from amazon worthy of the world's attention:

L Halteman Family Meats, Hickory Home-Smoked Pork... 

Not too thick, not too thin.  This bacon smells wonderful, even raw, and the best thing there is no impenetrable vacuum packaging.  It comes in butcher's paper.  There are three options:  hickory, apple, and hickory with skin.  It actually looks like the product picture.

I cooked up three strips by the usual Joy of Cooking oven method -- CSO, steam bake, 350 deg F, 10 minutes.  Eggs and English muffins.  I am replete.

Edit:  five options, I forgot to mention maple glazed and peppered.

Gosh, you must've bought it all, it's no longer available!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lindag said:

Gosh, you must've bought it all, it's no longer available!

Seriously, availability depends on your location.  They probably expect people in Montana to smoke their own bacon.

9 minutes ago, lindag said:

You mean they don't ship here?  That seems odd.  But I've run into other products that don't ship to low populated areas.

In the amazon search bar type:  "amazon fresh".  When you select something from amazon fresh you should get a dialog box to enter your zip code to see if you can get amazon fresh deliveries.  Even if you can get amazon fresh, not all products are available in all areas.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lindag said:

You mean they don't ship here?  That seems odd.  But I've run into other products that don't ship to low populated areas.

I'm in suburban SoCal, hardly a low population zone, but no Amazon Fresh for me either. Not sure what exactly what drives availability. It is available for addresses ~ 10 miles to the east and also 10 miles to the northwest, both with similar demographics.

• Like 2