• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredients via Internet

JoNorvelleWalker

On 2/28/2017 at 0:17 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

$995 for a ham, oh my.

FWIW, Broadbent's, which has won the award for best country ham for the past, oh, decades at the Kentucky State Fair, auctions off its grand champion ham every year for charity. It went for over a million bucks last year.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Just now, kayb said:

FWIW, Broadbent's, which has won the award for best country ham for the past, oh, decades at the Kentucky State Fair, auctions off its grand champion ham every year for charity. It went for over a million bucks last year.

*faint*

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

My first car was around that price O.o

My current car was around that price. Slightly lower, actually. :P

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

My first car was around that price O.o

My brand new loaded purple Plymouth Satellite was about four hams and a chicken.

Meanwhile I noticed tonight that jet.com now sells fresh seafood, meats, and produce.  They ship to 48 states.  I've ordered once before from jet.com for a supply of straws (required for my evening mai tai) and toilet paper (inarguably food related).

Jet.com offers Bell and Evens Cornish game hens which are unavailable from amazon.  However my trembling fingers were unable to access my account, the password reset didn't work, and customer service asked me to wait until tomorrow.  Sigh.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

OliveNation hasn't been mentioned yet.....I was very happy with the products I ordered from them.

I've found the best deal on Red Boat fish sauce and a few other things at Vitacost when they run specials.

Jump on both mailing lists for the best deals.

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

A few years ago on another thread, I mentioned Bella Viva Orchards - California grown dried fruits and nuts, many organic.

And the best roasted, lightly salted almonds I have ever tasted - better than mine.

They have organic red walnuts - a UC Davis developed nut.  And dried pomegranate arils.

I have ordered many times, usually first a small batch, then ordering in larger amounts when I found something extremely good.

The DICED dried fruits are wonderful for baking.  on the last page of "Dried fruits"  The diced pears @ 7.99 a pound, are fantastic for inclusion in scones - I made some pear/ginger scones that were a hit at one of our neighborhood gatherings.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Have I mentioned nuts.com?  My more or less monthly order of eight pounds arrived today and they are presently accompanying my mai tai.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody have a Canadian online source for fruit purees? The shelf stable (not frozen, usually in 1 kg pouches) type are the best option for where I live. Getting frozen shipped here is usually costly and rarely results in the product still being frozen when it arrives. I used to get my purees from Qzina but since they became part of the Chef's Warehouse group, they no longer have a Canadian online store. Qualifirst has them and that may be what I end up having to do but they have them at much higher than average prices with very high shipping charges so I'm hoping somebody has a source I haven't been able to find.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Anybody have a Canadian online source for fruit purees? The shelf stable (not frozen, usually in 1 kg pouches) type are the best option for where I live. Getting frozen shipped here is usually costly and rarely results in the product still being frozen when it arrives. I used to get my purees from Qzina but since they became part of the Chef's Warehouse group, they no longer have a Canadian online store. Qualifirst has them and that may be what I end up having to do but they have them at much higher than average prices with very high shipping charges so I'm hoping somebody has a source I haven't been able to find.

No joy checking my usual suspects - Chef's Warehouse has 2 flavours only. I can pick up from Qzina or Qualifirst for you and send.

49 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

No joy checking my usual suspects - Chef's Warehouse has 2 flavours only. I can pick up from Qzina or Qualifirst for you and send.

Does Chef's Warehouse have more than one site? The site I was sent to when I tried to get to the Qzina site said they're not shipping in Canada at this time. Qualifirst prices for the shelf stable pouches aren't too far outside of what I was paying for the frozen at Qzina with the added benefit of not being temperature sensitive for shipping but the $52 shipping charge for 4 pouches of puree seemed extreme to me. Maybe I've just become spoiled by Qzina and Vanilla Food Company with their very reasonable flat rate shipping and that's not actually as out of line as I think.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

Does Chef's Warehouse have more than one site? The site I was sent to when I tried to get to the Qzina site said they're not shipping in Canada at this time. Qualifirst prices for the shelf stable pouches aren't too far outside of what I was paying for the frozen at Qzina with the added benefit of not being temperature sensitive for shipping but the $52 shipping charge for 4 pouches of puree seemed extreme to me. Maybe I've just become spoiled by Qzina and Vanilla Food Company with their very reasonable flat rate shipping and that's not actually as out of line as I think.

I could send 4-5 kg for around $26 4 days 

37 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I could send 4-5 kg for around $26 4 days 

I appreciate that Kerry but there's no point in you having to do all of that extra footwork over $25. I just thought it might be worth asking in case there was a source I overlooked. If I start using purees again as much as I'm hoping, I'm going to have to suck it up at some point anyway. Might as well get used to it.

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Chef's Warehouse is operating out of the Qzina site if I understand it correctly. 

34 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I appreciate that Kerry but there's no point in you having to do all of that extra footwork over $25. I just thought it might be worth asking in case there was a source I overlooked. If I start using purees again as much as I'm hoping, I'm going to have to suck it up at some point anyway. Might as well get used to it.

I travel that way frequently though - so keep it in mind.

• Like 3

The Qualifirst shipping probably becomes more reasonable as the order gets larger. It starts at a high base rate but it doesn't seem to go up in large leaps as you add more to the cart. So it may not be so bad if I get to a point where I need larger amounts. Right now, I just need to get my hands on some passion fruit puree and I was going to give the banana a try just to see how it compares to fresh and the frozen I've used in the past.

I'm posting again because I don't want anybody else reading this thread to be steered away from Qualifirst based on what I posted above. As it turns out, I overlooked that one of the items in my cart required refrigerated shipping and that was the reason for the high shipping cost. I noticed the little notification on a return trip to my shopping cart and removed that item. Shipping options then became available that lowered the shipping cost by almost 2/3 from the original quote. So my passion fruit puree is on the way. Thanks again Kerry for offering to help but this one was my mistake.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to @Franci I purchased from supermarketitaly.  I needed more pasta flour and dried pasta, but I bought a jar of maraschino cherries while I was at it.  It was on sale.  Organic 00 pasta flour is much cheaper than on amazon.  Supermarketitaly is now on my recommended vendor list.

For the first time I just placed an order with The Spice House:

https://www.thespicehouse.com/

Will be interesting to see how The Spice House compares with Penzeys.  Both stores claim the Penzey legacy.

Being totally out of anchovies I ordered three jars of Ortiz old style from an amazon seller.  And today I took delivery of a restock of Piment d'Espelette.  My recent shrimp tagine had killed off the last jar.  Paula Wolfert has recommended Piment d'Espelette as a substitute for Moroccan red pepper when paprika is called for.  I also use Piment d'Espelette for my hollandaise...which by coincidence I am making tonight.

Does anyone know of an internet source of good Jamaican ground ginger?

• Like 5

Glad @JoNorvelleWalker you had a good experience with supermarketitaly.

Talking about anchovies...if anybody looks for salted anchovies. These are really good, in my opinion better than Agostino Recca. I didn't buy from the website but a friend what owns a pasta store in Park Slope, Brooklyn carries them (but he gets them from Gustiamo, I know a lot of businesses that buys here from them). It's the salty kind, perfect for pasta.  I also buy also the boquerones from Recca at Eataly (one of the few anchovies marinated that don't taste of horrid quality to me, unfortunately I don't think they sell online) and replace the bad oil with my good extra virgin from Puglia and I alternate the salty anchovies and the boquerones, plenty of good oil and bread, tapas style.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2017 at 7:23 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks to @Franci I purchased from supermarketitaly.  I needed more pasta flour and dried pasta, but I bought a jar of maraschino cherries while I was at it.  It was on sale.  Organic 00 pasta flour is much cheaper than on amazon.  Supermarketitaly is now on my recommended vendor list.

Does anyone know of an internet source of good Jamaican ground ginger?

Why Jamaican in particular?  

I have been using Healthworks Ginger Root Powder - Organic, grown and processed in India - for a few years.  I use a lot of ginger and I have tried just about every brand on the market and have yet to find anything as potent and full of flavor as this. It is extremely fine and not at all "grainy" like some gingers.  It is VERY POTENT I use less of this than other ground gingers.  

A pound may seem like a lot but I make drinks, both hot and cold with it, paired with fruits.  I use it in marinades and in ice cream - my ice cream uses both powder and fresh and with this product I use a third less than I used with the former product.

I usually split it into thirds and put 2/3 into a tightly sealed freezer container and store it in the freezer until I use up the first batch.

I used to use another brand which I liked but they switched production to China and I am reluctant to use any food products sources from there. 

If you do order it, I have a WARNING!  When you open the bag, don't have your face too close to it. Some of the powder will puff out and your will have a SINUS-CLEARING experience that is downright painful.

I speak from experience!

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

5 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Why Jamaican in particular?  

Because one author, I recall Paula Wolfert though I am not sure, recommended Jamaican ginger as the correct type of ginger for Moroccan cooking.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Franci said:

Talking about anchovies...

The amazon seller sent the wrong anchovies so I returned them.  I'm still looking for a source of the Ortiz old style.

4 hours ago, weedy said:

I'm suspicious that the picture does not match the description.  What's shown is the regular Ortiz.