• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredients via Internet

JoNorvelleWalker

Some foodstuffs are hard for me to source locally.  The same may be true for others.

At the moment I am looking for a source of quality Parmigiano Reggiano.  One supplier I found was parmaitaly/parmashop.  Anyone have experience purchasing from them?

http://www.parmashop.com/english/parmigiano-reggiano.html

I'm also looking for red wine vinegar (not balsamic).   Any suggestions for sources?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

We have had good luck with everything we've ordered from igourmet.  The only problem we have is knowing when to stop clicking on stuff.

Have not ordered Parmigiano-Reggiano but have been happy with all the cheeses we have ordered.  And there are pages and pages of other tasty treats just calling out to me.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

One supplier I found was parmaitaly/parmashop.  Anyone have experience purchasing from them?

http://www.parmashop.com/english/parmigiano-reggiano.html

I'm also looking for red wine vinegar (not balsamic).   Any suggestions for sources?

I'd be curious to know also. No trouble getting parmigiano around here, but the prices are at least double what your site charges for the 24-month-old.

Looks like the minimum is 1kg, which would take me a while to get through. I'm curious to know the best practices for storing a piece of cut parm.

For vinegar I'm thinking about ordering from here. They have Montegrato sherry vinegar, which I like very much. Amazon carries my favorite sweet vinegar.

Notes from the underbelly

Zingerman's. Top dollar, but you can trust the quality.

Ex: 4# Parm Reg = $110; 375 ml Rioja red wine vinegar = $12; 750 ml blended Sherry vinegar = $25

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I order all kinds of things on the internets...

but an extremely popular cheese??? and you live in NEW JERSEY????

You seriously don't have a good cheese shop, or Italian salumeria shop, within an hour of you?

almost impossible

red wine vinegar too, I can buy at my local Stop And Shop, let alone nicer ones at nicer markets, but it is no doubt available on Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ared+wine+vinegar&keywords=red+wine+vinegar&ie=UTF8&qid=1483555676

Murray's is good quality and does online ordering:

http://www.murrayscheese.com/parmigiano-pecorino-grating

http://www.murrayscheese.com/search?keywords=vinegar

Edited by weedy (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, weedy said:

I order all kinds of things on the internets...

but an extremely popular cheese??? and you live in NEW JERSEY????

You seriously don't have a good cheese shop, or Italian salumeria shop, within an hour of you?

almost impossible

red wine vinegar too, I can buy at my local Stop And Shop, let alone nicer ones at nicer markets, but it is no doubt available on Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ared+wine+vinegar&keywords=red+wine+vinegar&ie=UTF8&qid=1483555676

Murray's is good quality and does online ordering:

http://www.murrayscheese.com/parmigiano-pecorino-grating

http://www.murrayscheese.com/search?keywords=vinegar

I too live between two major metropolitan areas but since I don't drive and can't manage public transit it does me little good.   Almost anything is available within an hour if you can get to it!   I walk in shoes similar to those of @JoNorvelleWalker so I know  exactly why an online source is sometimes the only logical option.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Pennsylvania Macaroni Co. is a source to consider.

It's been many years since I've purchased from them but at that time I found their products to be of good quality.

They have both the cheese and the vinegar.

http://www.pennmac.com/

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

It's been many years since I've purchased from them but at that time I found their products to be of good quality.

I've never ordered by mail from PennMac, but they're always a stop when we visit Pittsburgh. The prices in the store have always been more than fair; I couldn't imagine that mail order would be any different other than the addition of shipping costs.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

I've never ordered by mail from PennMac, but they're always a stop when we visit Pittsburgh. The prices in the store have always been more than fair; I couldn't imagine that mail order would be any different other than the addition of shipping costs.

I'm bad local, I've never been to Penn Mac. I keep meaning to go, though.

Several interesting sources here!  Thanks.  I spent a pleasant evening window shopping.

There are no lack of worthy brick and mortar cheese mongers an hour or two away, although as @Anna N surmised, I can no longer walk an hour or two without repercussions.  Not to mention the hike back home.

Something about parmashop is calling to me.

There was also a Spanish foodstuff site I may have posted about somewhile ago.  With the imprimatur of the king.  They had some nice looking hams as I recall.  Can't find it now.

I figure if I am blessed to live so long I should have no trouble finishing up a kilogram of cheese, possibly paired with a kilogram or two of CO2.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

There was also a Spanish foodstuff site I may have posted about somewhile ago.  With the imprimatur of the king.  They had some nice looking hams as I recall.  Can't find it now.

La Tienda?

https://www.tienda.com/

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

25 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

La Tienda?

https://www.tienda.com/

No, I don't think that was it, unless they changed their website.  Interesting though.

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No, I don't think that was it, unless they changed their website.  Interesting though.

The site has changed quite a bit (it looks very different) — like so many, updated to be more smartphone/tablet friendly.

16 hours ago, Anna N said:

I too live between two major metropolitan areas but since I don't drive and can't manage public transit it does me little good.   Almost anything is available within an hour if you can get to it!   I walk in shoes similar to those of @JoNorvelleWalker so I know  exactly why an online source is sometimes the only logical option.

Since I live a few kilometers north of nowhere, many things people can probably buy at their local gas station in a pinch aren't available within about 5 hours drive. For here in Canada, I use the South China Seas site for a lot of international ingredient stuff. A lot of the perishable stuff, they won't ship but in addition to the non-perishables, I can get fresh lime leaves, lemongrass and galangal and a few other tolerant perishables shipped.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

95% of the time, I buy what they have here in the local markets or supermarkets and am very happy with that, but sometimes I have cravings for things they don't have here - then I go online. 

Main online purchases - cheese, lentils ( I love me lentils!), spices (China is very limited in culinary spices).

A lot of stuff I did crave before, I suddenly realised I could make myself. For example, I love hummus and although the beans are widely available, I couldn't find tahini. Then I awoke from my coma and thought "What is tahini?"

It's sesame seeds which you can't move for in China and a bit of olive oil to get the process started. Now, I make my own tahini (easy) and hummus (even easier).

A couple of can't finds I grow on the balcony after duping my aged mother into posting seeds to me, despite possible legal issues! I have no shame when my dinner is concerned!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Latienda.com is fantastic.

I always buy piquillo and guindilla peppers (really chiles) from them, as well as Bomba rice, spanish chorizos (both grilling and precooked) and Iberico pork.

I love the Iberico Secreto steaks which I vacuum bag and keep frozen until I'm ready to sous vide... it's unlike anything else... I first had it, grilled, at a José Andrés restaurant and it was incredible, so I was happy to find it online.

https://www.tienda.com/products/secreto-iberico-de-bellota-pork-end-loin-fermin-ip-07.html

Edited by weedy (log)

2 hours ago, Paul Fink said:

As for red wine vinegar ... The best is Orleans Aged Red Wine Vinegar by Martin Pouret

Interesting, thanks!  Two bottles are on their way to me.

• Like 1

On January 4, 2017 at 2:55 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

I always love it when I find out about a new online food place to shop.  This one looks right up my alley.  Has anyone tried their fresh pasta?

I have ordered quite a bit from igourmet in the past.  Their cheeses always come in a cute little soft cooler (well they used to, dunno if they do now) and everything was nice and cold still.  Also have gotten quite a few things from Zingerman's.  Alway reliable and good.

• Like 1

Though not an ingredient per say; certainly a canvas for all ingredients....

Just picked up a Canadian made Maple cutting board from Costco - fantastic quality, locally made from recycled woods, and only $30!!!

Ingredients online - some are much less costly and the product is superior.

I'm an Amazon Prime member - saves me a lot of money.

I am extremely partial to  Frontier Co-Op  ingredients.  I use cacao nibs - I have found that I can use them just fine but regular chocolate affects me adversely. (I can use cocoa too).

I just ordered a POUND of Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cacao Nibs.  Price:  12.15

Locally, the CHEAPEST are at Walmart 9.99 for 8 ounces (half a pound) The one time I tried them, they were stale.

I also ordered a pound of Frontier's Organic Vietnamese Cinnamon.  (Add-on item)  7.62  And it is EXCELLENT. 

I grind my own cinnamon (Frontier cinnamon sticks) fresh before use, But I am making up some cinnamon/sugar shakers for a friend who is going to be teaching a baking class to teens and needed some prep help as she is up to her ears in getting ready for it.  

As I already have a bunch of shakers from my catering days, i volunteered to make these up.

This cinnamon is really pungent.

CI has rated Frontier spices tops in a few categories during the past couple of years.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett