• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected the record

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Seems too inexpensive to be the real thing or am I missing something?

A comparison of their "wild-harvested" Canadian wild rice with their "Minnesota grown" wild rice suggests to me that their Minnesota wild rice is cultivated. That might account for some of the lower price you see. It appears that they also haven't parched it yet; note the dark hull that they preserve. If you've been buying the hand-parched wild rice before now that may also account for some of the lower price.

It appears my preferred source of wild (not cultivated) wild rice, the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe, doesn't sell by mail, but some of the other Minnesota and Wisconsin sources do. Check out this site: Sources for Hand-Harvested Wild Rice, from the Native Wild Rice Coalition.

eta: Actually, the Leech Lake Band provides email contact information, so maybe they will sell by mail. It's worth a try.

Smithy

Smithy

Punctuation

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A comparison of their "wild-harvested" Canadian wild rice with their "Minnesota grown" wild rice suggests to me that their Minnesota wild rice is cultivated. That might account for some of the lower price you see. It appears that they also haven't parched it yet; note the dark hull that they preserve. If you've been buying the hand-parched wild rice before now that may also account for some of the lower price.

It appears my preferred source of wild (not cultivated) wild rice, the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe, doesn't sell by mail, but some of the other Minnesota and Wisconsin sources do. Check out this site: Sources for Hand-Harvested Wild Rice, from the Native Wild Rice Coalition.

Smithy

Smithy

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It appears my preferred source of wild (not cultivated) wild rice (Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe) doesn't sell by mail, but some of the other Minnesota and Wisconsin sources do. Check out this site: Sources for Hand-Harvested Wild Rice, from the Native Wild Rice Coalition.