• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

95% of the time, I buy what they have here in the local markets or supermarkets and am very happy with that, but sometimes I have cravings for things they don't have here - then I go online. 

Main online purchases - cheese, lentils ( I love me lentils!), spices (China is very limited in culinary spices).

A lot of stuff I did crave before, I suddenly realised I could make myself. For example, I love hummus and although the beans are widely available, I couldn't find tahini. Then I awoke from my coma and thought "What is tahini?"

It's sesame seeds which you can't move for in China and a bit of olive oil to get the process started. Now, I make my own tahini (easy) and hummus (even easier).

A couple of can't finds I grow on the balcony after duping my aged mother into posting seeds to me, despite possible legal issues! I have no shame when my dinner is concerned!

liuzhou

liuzhou

95% of the time, I buy what they have here in the local markets or supermarkets, but sometimes I can cravings for things they don't have here - then I go online. 

Main online purchases - cheese, lentils ( I love me lentils!), spices (China is very limited in culinary spices).

A lot of stuff I did crave before, I suddenly realised I could make myself. I love hummus and although the beans are widely available, I couldn't find tahini. Then I awoke from my coma and thought "What is tahini?"

It's sesame seeds which you can't move for in China and a bit of olive oil to get the process started. Now, I make my own tahini (easy) and hummus (even easier).

A couple of can't finds I grow on the balcony after duping my aged mother into posting seeds to me, despite possible legal issues! I have no shame when my dinner is concerned!