• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home bar staples ... new to mixing drinks, how well am I set up?

Sellfish

Hey there,

for a long time I had the wish to set up a (very) small home bar and finally -thanks to Amazon's Black Friday sale, Christmas, my birthday and some free time- got around to kick things off.

I would now like to get some feedback on my spirits of choice (most of them were aquired for up to 25-50% off or are old presents) as well as some suggestions on what to get next.

For the most part, I followed the "12 bottle bar" guide... thus the odd Genever, but I am still trying out different drinks here and there to really figure out what I like.

Also, if there are better alternatives to the spirits I got, please feel free to tell me.

Brandy - Remy Martin

Gin - Bombay Sapphire

Genever - Bols Amsterdam

Amber Rum - Plantation Barbados 5

White Rum - Flor de Cana 4 Extra Dry

Rye Whiskey - Rittenhouse

Bourbon Whiskey - Buffalo Trace
Blended Scotch Whisky - Johnnie Walker Gold
Vodka - Absolut

Tequila - Patron Reposado
Orange Liqueur - Cointreau
Dry & Sweet Vermouth - Noilly Prat & Martini Rosso
Aromatic & Orange Bitters - Angostura & Regan's

-

Amaretto

Kahlua

Limoncello

Maraschino

-

Grenadine - Bols

-

Jägermeister (obligatory, I guess... I'm from Germany)

Wu Liang Ye (Chinese Baijiu, gf is from China so there's always some of that stuff around)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Sellfish

Edited by Sellfish (log)

Did you see the following discussion on eGullet? There are a lot of suggestions that may be helpful to you, including a critique of the selections from the 12 Bottle Bar book.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)