• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electrical Issues and Cooking/Oven

GlorifiedRice

IKLQL2T.jpg

A month ago I roasted Almonds for butter. I then Vitamixed them and put em in a jar.

I roast them for 30 mins on 350 F, stirring once. Always preheating the oven before timer is set.

I had flickering lights in my house 2 weeks ago and the electric company came out and told

me my main wire was hot and had no ground, dug up the front yard and fixed it.

I then roasted new nuts WITH NO CHANGES and poured the butter on top of the other butter.

See the demarcation? It looks like the oven finally got to proper "power levels".

Ill bet that is why my eggs in the am were some days done fast and other days

were still raw in center?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

17 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

-----------------------and the electric company came out and told

me my main wire was hot and had no ground, dug up the front yard and fixed it.

-----------------------

Does not sound right to me. Ground or no ground, it should not have any impact to the main wire.

If your main wire was hot, then you might have a defective wiring installation, too much ground leak without the breaker tripped. A very dangerous situation.

In anycase, if they say it is fixed now, then it is fixed.

Unless you want to go to HD and get a cheap wiring tester ($10?) and check every outlet in your house and see if your wiring is safe.

dcarch

54 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Unless you want to go to HD and get a cheap wiring tester ($10?) and check every outlet in your house and see if your wiring is safe.

This will tell you nothing assuming the oven is on the 220V side of the breaker box. If 220 was "leaking" into the 120v house wiring @GlorifiedRice would most definitely know.

1 hour ago, Yiannos said:

This will tell you nothing assuming the oven is on the 220V side of the breaker box. If 220 was "leaking" into the 120v house wiring @GlorifiedRice would most definitely know.

Not what I said. 

I said every other outlet (110V). The oven should be hardwired not a plug-in outlet.

The oven may be 220V, but the ground may be common to 110V. If the ground was wired incorrectly, then it may be wise to check all the other 110V  outlets.

BTW, 110V can be using the same wiring as 220V. 220V is made from 110v + 110V from the same panel.

Just MHO.

dcarch

The issue has been fixed, the dimming lights and flickering is gone and my oven is working at full power finally, as is indicated in the differing roastednesses[sic] of the nuts before the issue was fixed and after. And the cakes today took 35 mins on the dot, whereas in the past theyd be still jiggly.

I posted this for future reference so you can consider other things if your oven is running too cool, it might be the wiring on the curb or pole.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

5 hours ago, dcarch said:

Not what I said. 

I said every other outlet (110V). The oven should be hardwired not a plug-in outlet.

The oven may be 220V, but the ground may be common to 110V. If the ground was wired incorrectly, then it may be wise to check all the other 110V  outlets.

BTW, 110V can be using the same wiring as 220V. 220V is made from 110v + 110V from the same panel.

Just MHO.

dcarch

Ah OK gotcha, just misunderstood what you were saying!

7 hours ago, dcarch said:

Not what I said. 

Just MHO.

dcarch

It wasnt just the oven, it was the whole house.

The flickering and dimming occurred when the oven wasnt in use, so it was unrelated to the oven itself.

As a side note, While they were digging up my sidewalk and my power was off 5 hours all I could think of was the $45 fillet of Hamachi in my freezer.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!