• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Pheasant

Paul Fink

I've made this before with out a recipe. But that was years ago & I don't remember everything.

I'm looking for some validation this time. We are planning a party and I would hate to mess up.

I take a pheasant and debone it.

The stuffing is a mushroom wild rice.

I stuff and trust the bird, Roast it.

Refrigerate the bird and serve cold.

Since the bird has been deboned you can make nice slices through the whole bird.

When we lived in Toronto, a friend belonged to a hunting club and the club smoked the pheasants for their members. Cold thin slice smoked pheasant was wonderful.

I have a recipe for a boned chicken that is stuffed with a mushroom sausage bread stuffing that is wonderful served hot or cold and another

one for cornish game hens that is stuffed with a wild rice stuffing.  I've always served this one hot, but don't see why it would not be just as nice

served cold.   

Don't see why you couldn't use either of these stuffings in a pheasant as well.

If you would like the recipes, just let me know.

12 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

When we lived in Toronto, a friend belonged to a hunting club and the club smoked the pheasants for their members. Cold thin slice smoked pheasant was wonderful.

I have a recipe for a boned chicken that is stuffed with a mushroom sausage bread stuffing that is wonderful served hot or cold and another

one for cornish game hens that is stuffed with a wild rice stuffing.  I've always served this one hot, but don't see why it would not be just as nice

served cold.   

Don't see why you couldn't use either of these stuffings in a pheasant as well.

If you would like the recipes, just let me know.

Thanks Ann The recipe for  mushroom sausage bread stuffing would be great. That would hold together better when slicing.

I google cold pheasant and I get hunting gloves.

31 minutes ago, Paul Fink said:

Thanks Ann The recipe for  mushroom sausage bread stuffing would be great. That would hold together better when slicing.

I google cold pheasant and I get hunting gloves.

Paul, yes, it does hold together well when hot or cold.   The recipe is on my blog,  You can find it here.

Click.

just serve it cold.  Change up the stuffing if you wish. I can find many recipes for stuffed pheasant on-line so I have to assume that you were looking for one very specific one. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

I wouldn't serve it actually cold.  Make sure it comes up to room temperature somewhat and the texture and flavour will generally improve.

But certainly slice it when it is cold.

Isn't that what most people mean when they say they are serving something 'cold'? It certainly always has been in my experience.

'Cold' as in unheated rather than as in chilled.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Isn't that what most people mean when they say they are serving something 'cold'? It certainly always has been in my experience.

'Cold' as in unheated rather than as in chilled.

You'd be surprised at how frequently "cold" dishes come straight out the fridge, even in restaurants.  Fridge-cold meat depresses me (unless it is guiltily picked off a carcass during a night-time fridge raid).

• Like 2