• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bagging up leftovers and pasteurising them

benjamin163

Hello, I am doing a lot of slow cooking, sometimes sous vide, sometimes in a crock pot, sometimes on a stove top.

I find the stuff I cook sous vide most convenient as it has such a good shelf life if the correct procedures are adhered to. 

My question is this...

Can I enjoy the shelf life benefits sous vide pouches offer by simply bagging up leftover food not cooked sous vide and sticking it in a water bath, correct times and temperatures observed, to reheat then chill.

eg could I cook a chicken thigh curry in a crock pot then portion up what I don't eat, bag each portion separately, stick in a water bath for an hour at 70 degrees celsius, blast chill then be able to store refrigerated for the extended times the dish cooked sous vide would allow?

And would the same principles apply to vegetable dishes?

Any help gratefully received.