• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holiday gifts. What food/drink related gifts did you get?

Anna N

2 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I do have two kits worth on Instapot inserts so I hope I’m good there. I however loathe hard boiled eggs. And most eggs other than scrambled. I know! 🙈 At least I don’t put ketchup on them! 

‘Another new favorite soup is this one posted by  @mgaretz. If you, like me, love, cabbage you’ll love this recipe.
Easy to make and just delicious.  Some nice crusty bread with it and it’s a meal.!

• Like 2

For me it goes to a post made by @mgaretz in the IPot thread with his recipe for Cabbage Soup.

How is that possible?

i think the recipe is actually on the same page as the the one you show...before or after if I remember.

Edited by lindag (log)

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Are you sure?  It doesn’t for me.

Does for me. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I’ll try again
Here.  

Lamb shanks. Don’t know what is going wrong but the post is on the previous page to this one. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Lamb shanks. 

that is so weird.  Both links take me to the soup recipe.

The answer to this puzzle is way beyond my pay grade.
(Maybe it doesn’t translate to Canadianese?). 😁

Edited by lindag (log)

STOP - here it is   

Instant Pot Cabbage Soup

Ingredients:
1 can of tomato sauce (14.5 oz can)
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of water (use the sauce can to get the sauce that sticks to sides)
1 small to medium cabbage, de-cored and cut into 8 wedges then cut the wedges in half and separate
1 medium yellow onion cut into 1” wedges and separated
1 pound of carrots, peeled and cut into ½” slices (or more if you like carrots)
2 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
6 tbs sugar – to taste
2 lbs of stew meat 1” chunks (chuck is the best, but almost any cut will work)

Method:
Combine all of the ingredients except the carrots in the IP, cabbage goes in last.  Stir it up a bit.  Cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release.  Stir in the carrots and cook for another 6 minutes on high pressure with a 15 minute (to full) natural release.  Serve!

Notes:  I use an 8 qt IP, for a 6 qt you may want to pre-wilt the cabbage by microwaving it for a few minutes so that you can fit it all in. As I am thinking about it, you could also try adding as much cabbage as you can, then add the rest with the carrots.   There is no need to pre-brown the meat.  

53 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Well, this is truly weird.  I tap on your quote and I get an error message saying that the page does not exist.  Anyway, thanks for quoting it in full.  I appreciate it.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, lindag said:

that is so weird.  Both links take me to the soup recipe.

The answer to this puzzle is way beyond my pay grade.
(Maybe it doesn’t translate to Canadianese?). 😁

Try this

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Thanks, I don’t know how you did it.

It just happened & I cut and pasted ;)  Not my personal comfort food zone though it is genetically. 

Edited by heidih (log)

On 1/23/2020 at 2:48 AM, MetsFan5 said:

Ok I’m really out of my element with these gifts so if anyone can recommend which unit to start with and what to do with it, it’s much appreciated:

1460721C-9713-494A-A804-2E7E77E11530.jpeg

2F005895-2D8F-4DB0-98E1-0B40E33CA12B.jpeg

Going here will take you to all of the IP recipes I've made.  I have two of @JAZ's books and am enjoying planning on making lots of those.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

@suzilightning I did get a gift certificate for Scaleni Fedeli. Haven’t been before so I’m excited. I actually haven’t been to Jockey Hollow yet either. 

Enjoy.... up here we have Tanti Bacci which I enjoy.  

Never ate at Jockey Hollow, either.

Maybe need to figure out a lunch date.....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...

The other day I picked up a bottle of Jufran Banana Sauce mentioned upthread.  It so happened that we were having mac 'n cheese for supper and as I usually eat it with a side of ketchup I tried this instead.  I doubt I will ever buy ketchup again.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The other day I picked up a bottle of Jufran Banana Sauce mentioned upthread.  It so happened that we were having mac 'n cheese for supper and as I usually eat it with a side of ketchup I tried this instead.  I doubt I will ever buy ketchup again.

Interesting. Where did you find this ingredient?

My 2004 eG Blog