• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holiday gifts. What food/drink related gifts did you get?

Anna N

Opened my final food-related gift last night, a box of Bailey's Irish Cream truffles. Evil things, they are.

Should you acquire any of these, do NOT eat them. Send them to me for proper disposal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 12/26/2018 at 9:55 PM, gfweb said:

I hope the candy is better than Hershey 

Overall quality is probably pretty similar, but Ganong's primarily makes chocolates with centers, rather than bars, so Whitman's or Russel Stover might be a better comparison. They do make a nougat bar studded with fruit gums, and a locally popular bar called Pal o' Mine (basically chocolate fudge with peanuts).

For anyone who's interested in the Chicken Bones I'd mentioned upthread, here's an article from the CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/chicken-bones-candy-ganong-st-stephen-1.4454303

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Overall quality is probably pretty similar, but Ganong's primarily makes chocolates with centers, rather than bars, so Whitman's or Russel Stover might be a better comparison. They do make a nougat bar studded with fruit gums, and a locally popular bar called Pal o' Mine (basically chocolate fudge with peanuts).

For anyone who's interested in the Chicken Bones I'd mentioned upthread, here's an article from the CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/chicken-bones-candy-ganong-st-stephen-1.4454303

I saw the chicken bones in the reduced section at Sobey’s yesterday on my way into work. I resisted!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Haha 1

This year from my 92 year old neighbor, I received a 1# bag of shelled pecans from FL and a gallon bag of in shell pecans from LA. The Louisiana pecans were the longest I have ever seen., between 1 1/2" and 2".

I also received an IMUSA 14" light cast iron wok  and my first Insta Pot, a 6 qt. size. I have only ever used a standard Presto pressure cooker, so this should be fun. My stepdad said they were not given for purely unselfish reasons. 🍖

Also a handful of my favorite silicone spatulas, pastry brush, whisk, etc...in my stocking.

Edited by caroled (log)
  • Like 4

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

So, when you see what I am posting, you have to keep in mind that my family basically loses their minds when it comes to Christmas.  We shop starting in the summer and just keep putting things in closets.  Also, there are family members who promise NOT to buy gifts and then give us something saying “it’s not really a gift, just a little something I saw that was perfect for you”.  It is all very lovely, but a little embarrassing when I tote it all up!  Assorted salts:

DSCN9031.JPG.e93a3ffe44b27743f43138d532ddf3e1.JPG

Assorted candy including our favorite English stuff:

DSCN9032.JPG.c143aafa1d08cf81621ea09a7ac5c850.JPG

More candy:

DSCN9033.JPG.dca833d29981d2f805044516f8227d49.JPG

More candy (and a cat):

DSCN9034.JPG.ab9e20c07f3a38c2f5bda8ebcf8cea71.JPG

And more candy:

DSCN9035.thumb.JPG.768e5a74b9aee31c5944cf988346ee10.JPG

The theatre boxes were part of a family gift that included a Red Box movie certificate, a Total Wine gift card and microwave popcorn (Movie Night).

This set which weighs about 900 lbs.:

DSCN9036.JPG.986c16aa26619c2c357deccbe659236a.JPG

Not sure how often this will get used.

Just a few books this year:

DSCN9037.JPG.dde2dd949bb0bba2567b7110dd77bd3b.JPG

The Stern book was requested by me to replace this:

DSCN9038.thumb.JPG.57bfdf5e9748a6281c1d444a09e62695.JPG

The Sterns were really my introduction into the world of food and food culture.  Way back in 1986 when this book came out, I noticed it in book store and bought it.  It really opened the world of food for me.  I had always loved food and eaten interesting food, but I cooked fairly ordinary stuff.  These folks really opened my eyes to what food meant to people.

I got two of these:

DSCN9039.thumb.JPG.982658ef279d25f7c1d319d6cee70952.JPG

One from Santa and one from my dad.  The smaller one went back to Kohl’s this morning.    

DSCN9040.JPG.3f889104e7ae2c677e7caea9ff74e270.JPG

DSCN9041.JPG.50b1ad68144b166c6e76c83a0b55cb6e.JPG

A lovely old biscuit tin, grains of paradise, my beloved Little Scarlet strawberry jam, 2 new cups – the RTIC one (on the left), I think I first heard about on eG – and Saba, which I can’t wait to play with.

A new apron:

DSCN9042.thumb.JPG.042db88e7b903e36613b46ace03f3252.JPG

And this very cool cutting “board” and knife for baguettes:

DSCN9043.JPG.ae054b71748ec3670053fdde4ead2eaa.JPG

• Like 12

I always knew Santa liked you best!  Seriously, what a wonderful assortment of gifts.  I especially like the cutting board for beginners.  I need all the help I can get plus it is just a lovely piece to look at.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:03 PM, ElsieD said:

@Kim Shook  Very nice!  I particularly like the apron.

That looks very much like some Mama has... Is it possibly from  the same source? 

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

well, with some of the gift certificates I have gotten/accumulated I bought a bunch of stuff I documented at Quatros's farm store in Pleasant Valley NY.  Tonight I opened up a piece of Ewe's Blue cheese from Old Chatham's Sheepherding  Company in *surprise* Old Chatham.   10 minutes later and I am still salivating... since I was 4 years old I have loved blue cheese.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

No.  It was from my in-laws and they don't know that source.  

After I had posted, I realized, if it had been double sided, you'd have flipped it up to show both fabrics. I hope if she's still out there reading this she knows how much she is missed.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I saw the title and I couldn’t help but remember ALL liquor gifts Mr Cat and I receive EVERY. YEAR. Wine. Bourbon. Scotch. Whiskey. Tequila. Almost all of it single barrel etc - would be super nice for us if we drank 🤦🏻‍♀️😂🤣 ... we don’t have anything against it etc - we have just never really been drinkers 🤷🏻‍♀️

People who are close to us know we don’t really drink so they don’t gift us those things - it’s the people that don’t know us well ...

Salvation Army doesn’t seem to want those those donations 😲😳🤣 Luckily?  Cat Son has been willing / able to take them off our hands these past few years and stock his bar ... 

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

• 1 month later...

For the foodie in your household...

"You Can Now Engrave Personalized Messages on KitchenAid Stand Mixers"

In November, KitchenAid announced its first-ever personalization option on the Artisan Series 5-Quart Tilt-Head stand mixer. You can pick from a custom laser engraved message, monogram, or name around the trim band. Using the company’s customization tool, you’ll be guided through a series of steps in which you first select the stand color, choose your engraving up to 24 characters, find your favorite ceramic or stainless steel bowl, and add any helpful attachments (there’s more than 20!) to create your most personalized stand mixer yet.

KitchenAid has really upped their game recently. The new line of mixing bowl designs reflect this. 

Does anyone have any of the new bowls? 

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 minutes ago, Toliver said:

For the foodie in your household...

"You Can Now Engrave Personalized Messages on KitchenAid Stand Mixers"

KitchenAid has really upped their game recently. The new line of mixing bowl designs reflect this. 

Does anyone have any of the new bowls? 

I treated my mixer to this bowl as a Christmas gift and posted it over in the mixing bowl topic the other day.

IMG_1682.thumb.jpeg.d9632e149b7ede70e7e0e818d08eeb6f.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/12/2019 at 8:26 PM, suzilightning said:

well, with some of the gift certificates I have gotten/accumulated I bought a bunch of stuff I documented at Quatros's farm store in Pleasant Valley NY.  Tonight I opened up a piece of Ewe's Blue cheese from Old Chatham's Sheepherding  Company in *surprise* Old Chatham.   10 minutes later and I am still salivating... since I was 4 years old I have loved blue cheese.

We most likely don't get the biggest variety of Old Chatham products here on the west coast, but I've liked just about everything I've  tasted; I'll have to check my source to see if they ever get the blue. For a while I was really into their sheep's milk yogurt. I'm not sure I've ever had a pure sheep's milk blue. Sounds very yummy. I feel an errand coming on. I can't remember whether my cheese store has xmas music. That's my one rule in December: if I hear xmas music I walk right out.  Which means that basically I don't leave the house all month if I can help it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 4:39 PM, Kim Shook said:

So, when you see what I am posting, you have to keep in mind that my family basically loses their minds when it comes to Christmas.  We shop starting in the summer and just keep putting things in closets.  Also, there are family members who promise NOT to buy gifts and then give us something saying “it’s not really a gift, just a little something I saw that was perfect for you”.  It is all very lovely, but a little embarrassing when I tote it all up!  Assorted salts:

V

Assorted candy including our favorite English stuff:

More candy:

More candy (and a cat):

And more candy:

The theatre boxes were part of a family gift that included a Red Box movie certificate, a Total Wine gift card and microwave popcorn (Movie Night).

This set which weighs about 900 lbs.:

Not sure how often this will get used.

Just a few books this year:

The Stern book was requested by me to replace this:

The Sterns were really my introduction into the world of food and food culture.  Way back in 1986 when this book came out, I noticed it in book store and bought it.  It really opened the world of food for me.  I had always loved food and eaten interesting food, but I cooked fairly ordinary stuff.  These folks really opened my eyes to what food meant to people.

I got two of these:

One from Santa and one from my dad.  The smaller one went back to Kohl’s this morning.    

A lovely old biscuit tin, grains of paradise, my beloved Little Scarlet strawberry jam, 2 new cups – the RTIC one (on the left), I think I first heard about on eG – and Saba, which I can’t wait to play with.

A new apron:

And this very cool cutting “board” and knife for baguettes:

Love the cat who snuck in there.

• Like 1