• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cherry Oh Baby

liuzhou

14 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin 

will you be posting the lunch pics ?

at least you were on on a freeway.

Not too much freeway.  Maybe it looks like that because I highlighted the route.  From the cherry picking place, we took Elizabeth Lake Rd to Pine Canyon Rd to Ridge Route Rd to Gorman Post Rd to Ralphs Ranch Rd to Frazier Mountain Park Rd to Maricopa Hwy - all 2 lane roads. 

Sadly, I left my phone in the car and didn't get any lunch photos.  I'll see if I can find some online. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, heidih said:

Lucky you! I have not been since Cherry Valley had cherry trees.

There is a Cherry Valley Road near here but I've not noticed any cherry trees.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

OK - I caved and got grocery store (Kroger) Bings. The Rainier were 99 cents/lb but looked punky. Currently enjoying the Bings ($2.99/lb) Need to hunt for my vintage pitter which works beautifully if I want to cook/bake with them.

• Like 3

I started this topic five years ago, when I received an unexpected gift of 1.5 kg and 'complained' that it was too many for just me.

Today 5 kg turned up!

1110499204_cherries024.thumb.jpg.8bbfa2dc3f364b02edeb5d80017cabf4.jpg

These ones are from Yantai in northern China, an area known for its cherries.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 3 weeks later...

Another cherry/dairy combo:  Burrata with Pickled Cherries, Sumac & Basil from Susan Spungen's book, Open Kitchen

809AC66B-3DC5-4F04-A620-BD215BEB8614_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.74a8f1c8d192060cc389cab87ff3cea2.jpeg

E8804BD5-1DFA-4A11-AE0F-6641E7A08851_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.dbb78aa7ae80ac7781cc0300b07a249f.jpeg

Had to try this to compare with the Dinner in French version I shared above. No opal basil so I used mint. These cherries get quite thoroughly pickled (up to a week ahead) with red wine vinegar, black peppercorns and thyme and then there's an additional hit of tartness from the sumac compared with the more gentle balsamic bath in the DiF version. There's a drizzle of olive oil here, much less rich than the browned butter in DiF. They're both delicious but this one is clearly a starter while the DiF version would also be perfect for an after dinner cheese course with port or dessert wine. Two winners and happily, I don't need to choose!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1