• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MRE

MRE

Cherries also go well with roast pork. I always have a bag of dried tart Montmorency cherries on hand. I cook them up with my morning oatmeal when I'm out of fresh fruit. I've never been a big fan of our California bing cherries for cooking. I love to eat them fresh, and preferably right off of the tree. Our local school district has several trees on every campus. Birds seem to get most of them though before the fruit has a chance to ripen. When the brief cherry season arrives in late spring you can probably get a box that size for around $10-$12 at a farmer's market. Trees will start blooming sometime in February.

MRE

MRE

Cherries also go well with roast pork. I always have a bag of dried tart Montmorency cherries on hand. I cook them up with my morning oatmeal when I'm out of fresh fruit. I've never been a big fan of our California bing cherries for cooking. I love them to eat them fresh, and preferably right off of the tree. Our local school district has several trees on every campus. Birds seem to get most of them though before the fruit has a chance to ripen. When the brief cherry season arrives in late spring you can probably get a box that size for around $10-$12 at a farmer's market. Trees will start blooming sometime in February.