• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

7 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

Follow up question for all Darto owners:

Do you ever use cast iron anymore? I have a Lodge 12 inch (the Darto 35 sort of covers that), and a lovely old Griswold no. 8, which is comparable to a Darto 25 pan, and I haven't used them much since I became a Dartophile. Anyone else? Like, has anyone made cornbread in a Darto?

I use my cast iron religiously for making cornbread and frying okra.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I've used Dartos to make cornbread. It works fine, but the shape is different than you get from classic cast iron skillets... flared edges along the bottom and side rather than a hard corner. The only thing I use my cast iron for anymore is nachos (in a 12" Lodge) but now that I think of it, my No 34 paella would probably work even better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do not have a large enough Darto in which to fry okra. But I just can't comprehend it'd beat the 12-inch Lodge.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I don't use CI for much anymore.

I suppose if I fried chicken I'd like the extra depth of CI.

I used to make corn bread in a CI corn mold, but I've used a Madellaine pan for years

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
18 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of carbon steel?

Well, I mean, I use them as a sub for cast iron, except it's glassy-smooth from the factory (once you scrub the epic amount of coating crap off them). For thin carbon steel, I have a wok

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

except it's glassy-smooth from the factory (once you scrub the epic amount of coating crap off them).

This is not an issue for me... I have a big industrial vapor degreaser! 🤣

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, KennethT said:

Does anyone have both Darto and Vollrath carbon steel pans?  I'd love to hear a comparison between the two...

I have Darto and Matfer pans.

Matfer is much lighter and heats quicker

Darto holds its seasoning much better.

Darto is pretty.

• Thanks 1