• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

rotuts

DARTO pans

Started seasoning and using the 25. Was able to cook a sunny side up egg and some potatoes after following one round of the oil, salt, potato skins stove top method. Following up with some thin coats of oil done on the stove top. May try an oven seasoning method on one of the other pans. Really enjoying the Darto pan!

DartoPanSeasoningStart.jpg.c63c719ae4db52fb8130968147055fe7.jpg

• Like 4

Started seasoning my 20 using the stovetop method from Serious Eats (https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/06/how-to-season-carbon-steel-pans.html). Liked the way that it looked so switched to the Serious Eats oven method and added seasoning to the 25 & the 20. Here is a picture of the 20 with 6 coats of seasoning (the 25 has more but I've lost count). Will cook on the 20 tomorrow (and clean the cooktop!) and see if it does as well with eggs as the 25. @Hassouni, @j89k, and other new Darto owners how are your pans doing?

1304014661_DartoPansSeasoningCoats-6-lowres.jpg.04521ecec509001e51465d64f4a354ed.jpg

Edited by curls (log)
  • Like 5

My SO cooked... something in my 25, and left the pan on a low burner long enough for the residual oils to gelatinize-ish up into that sticky super glue gunk.  sigh.  You know what I'm talking about.  

There went a year of seasoning, but such is life.    

This was well past: boil water in it.  Past stainless scrubby with BKF.  Next night I cooked outside on the Weber, and took the pan back to bare metal over white oak fire.  Scrambled up a few sacrificial eggs in oil and loads of kosher salt, and started anew.  Back to slick in no time.

Love these pans.  Light, indestructible, great performance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hassouni said:

Haven't had time for mine yet :(

Please report back when you do. Hope you like them.

1 hour ago, CookTek said:

Love these pans.  Light, indestructible, great performance.

I seem to have warped one of my Darto pans.  But it was not easy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Seasoned mine with avocado oil in my friends outdoor kitchen. Her grill has natural gas piped right to it. Seasoned at high temp 500-550 for about 25 minutes a round. I did 5 or 6 rounds. Looked much better than stovetop method.

I've cooked quite a bit with the 27. I regularly use it for breakfast taters, sauteeing onions, bacon, and eggs. Very non stick. Enjoying the pan.

I have yet to use the 35. It'll definitely get used to roast my thanksgiving turkey.

I gave the 25 as a wedding gift. The couple that received it were delighted.

20191020_134850.jpg

Edited by j89k (log)
  • Like 6