• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DARTO pans

rotuts

53 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

Darto is offering free shipping for rest of August.

My SO and I were JUST discussing getting a set of the tiny paella pans to use for doing raclette in the RV toaster oven… How did they know? 🤣

2 hours ago, quiet1 said:

How did they know?

It's a sign.

Damnit, I was trying to limit myself to the big paella. Now you have me thinking.

To all: I have the largest and the smallest fry pans. I use the big one all the time and would like a bigger one which is why the paella 35 appeals. How useful if the smallest paella? What do you use it for?

5 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

It's a sign.

Damnit, I was trying to limit myself to the big paella. Now you have me thinking.

To all: I have the largest and the smallest fry pans. I use the big one all the time and would like a bigger one which is why the paella 35 appeals. How useful if the smallest paella? What do you use it for?

I have it.  I do not use it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have it.  I do not use it.

Ha. That's like my fry pan of the same size. It was better to buy than to own, if you get my meaning. I'll try to resist the cuteness of those little paellas.

This might be the first time you've saved me money Jo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, FlashJack said:

It's a sign.

We have the smallest frying pan because Cute and we only use it in the RV really - it’s a good size to put on one bit of the grill to sauté a few onions or keep things warm, or to do just a couple of eggs for the dog’s dinner if we’re having something he can’t have, like spicy chicken. The only reason we’re thinking of a couple little baby paellas is my SO loooooves Raclette and melting it over some potatoes in a pan in the oven is quicker for doing multiple people than using a mini table Raclette grill, plus means we don’t have the single-use Raclette grill taking up storage space. (Sometimes with Raclette sitting around cooking it slowly is a big part of the fun, but sometimes you just want fast comfort food for everyone, y’know?) I imagine we’d use them for other individual-ish-portion things also if we had them, like maybe a pot pie, or making a single meal sized fruit crumble? So they’d be more useful than the Raclette grill and take up less space. :) But for normal cooking without RV/camping related issues, I think they’d often be too small?

ETA: We do have a larger paella pan (I forget what size) at home and honestly it’s one of my most used pans. I don’t usually toss stuff by the pan handle due to arthritis so I tend to reach for the paella pan over the similarly sized frying pan because the handles don’t get in the way of the other burners, etc. 

Edited by quiet1 (log)

I got the email for the shipping deal from Darto about 20 minutes before @FlashJackposted

Kept asking myself, do I really need another pan in my life. Actually asked myself once. Just once.

Paella n.27 will in DHL's hands soon. And then mine.

Ordering some cuttlefish ink from Amazon too, planning on an arroz negro soon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Paella pan arrived yesterday. Better packaging than the last purchase made from Darto, box was intact and in very good condition. 

Immediately scrubbed it down with soap and water, and still seeing residue of the linseed oil protectant I broke out the Barkeeper's Friend.

First seasoning done with peanut oil and sliced potatoes, then another quick scrub and another layer of peanut, placed on the Weber gas grill while cooking dinner outside. Already has that look of a well used pan.

Tomorrow the cuttlefish ink ordered from Amazon should be arriving. Arroz Negra is in the near future IMG_20210903_151240544_HDR.thumb.jpg.22730cc0a8fde50c1d3bba7309784e5a.jpgIMG_20210903_152528998_MP.thumb.jpg.52d68fc13dad7f95deeb71699b6e26ae.jpgIMG_20210903_153129388.thumb.jpg.72511e0c2baa1b8667d6e785ea1ab75e.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2021 at 4:11 PM, CentralMA said:

Paella pan arrived yesterday. Better packaging than the last purchase made from Darto, box was intact and in very good condition. 

Immediately scrubbed it down with soap and water, and still seeing residue of the linseed oil protectant I broke out the Barkeeper's Friend.

First seasoning done with peanut oil and sliced potatoes, then another quick scrub and another layer of peanut, placed on the Weber gas grill while cooking dinner outside. Already has that look of a well used pan.

Tomorrow the cuttlefish ink ordered from Amazon should be arriving. Arroz Negra is in the near future IMG_20210903_151240544_HDR.thumb.jpg.22730cc0a8fde50c1d3bba7309784e5a.jpgIMG_20210903_152528998_MP.thumb.jpg.52d68fc13dad7f95deeb71699b6e26ae.jpgIMG_20210903_153129388.thumb.jpg.72511e0c2baa1b8667d6e785ea1ab75e.jpg

Good looking stove you have  there.

• Like 1

After all these years, I finally pulled the trigger! Thanks for the heads-up, FlashJack.

Come to papa, Paella n.27 😃

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I used my trusty old No. 27 to sear off some steak for lunch. There's some video in this Instagram post if you scroll over a couple pictures.

I think the big paella is my favorite pan. Here it is alongside the No. 27 making some fried chicken. And here it is roasting some veg underneath a chicken. I use it all the time.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, btbyrd said:

my trusty old No. 27

I like my 27 a lot but, although I can saute with it, it's damn heavy. The 20 is a dream for sauteing but it's on the small side.

I'm hoping the 25 is Goldilocks.

The 35 paella is also wonderful. No temptation to give it a rattle.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I find the No. 15 to be mostly useless because it's so small... but it's also super useful when I want to deep fry a shallot or two in a few ounces of oil.

IMG_0013.thumb.jpg.99ae1ba3403bc6ae3b9ebfe3890cd354.jpg

I also use it to toast spices, but it has no real advantage there over larger pans. You can also put a screaming sear on a tenderloin steak or something in it... if you really want to.

On 12/29/2021 at 5:19 PM, btbyrd said:

I find the No. 15 to be mostly useless because it's so small... but it's also super useful when I want to deep fry a shallot or two in a few ounces of oil.

IMG_0013.thumb.jpg.99ae1ba3403bc6ae3b9ebfe3890cd354.jpg

I also use it to toast spices, but it has no real advantage there over larger pans. You can also put a screaming sear on a tenderloin steak or something in it... if you really want to.

It's a 2-mushroom pan.  The advantage is that it's sized to very small portions and small hobs. 

• Like 2

On 12/30/2021 at 12:19 PM, btbyrd said:

I find the No. 15 to be mostly useless

Your enablement induced me to buy this one too. It's the one I use least but it has its purposes. I used it yesterday to caramelise walnuts in maple syrup for a salad. Perfect size.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The tempters at Darto are at it again.

This time a 30cm 4mm thick saute pan with helper handle. Thicker and bigger than the previous biggest saute (27cm). Only The Hulk can saute in this one.

https://www.dartointernational.com/pre-sale-saute-n30

Delivered cost worldwide $US60 but does not ship before 30 September 2022.

I love my Darto pans. I'm in.

• Like 2