• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DARTO pans

rotuts

7 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

Follow up question for all Darto owners:

Do you ever use cast iron anymore? I have a Lodge 12 inch (the Darto 35 sort of covers that), and a lovely old Griswold no. 8, which is comparable to a Darto 25 pan, and I haven't used them much since I became a Dartophile. Anyone else? Like, has anyone made cornbread in a Darto?

I use my cast iron religiously for making cornbread and frying okra.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I've used Dartos to make cornbread. It works fine, but the shape is different than you get from classic cast iron skillets... flared edges along the bottom and side rather than a hard corner. The only thing I use my cast iron for anymore is nachos (in a 12" Lodge) but now that I think of it, my No 34 paella would probably work even better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't use CI for much anymore.

I suppose if I fried chicken I'd like the extra depth of CI.

I used to make corn bread in a CI corn mold, but I've used a Madellaine pan for years

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Just now, KennethT said:

Does anyone have both Darto and Vollrath carbon steel pans?  I'd love to hear a comparison between the two...

Darto is thiccc with 3 Cs

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of carbon steel?

Well, I mean, I use them as a sub for cast iron, except it's glassy-smooth from the factory (once you scrub the epic amount of coating crap off them). For thin carbon steel, I have a wok

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KennethT said:

Does anyone have both Darto and Vollrath carbon steel pans?  I'd love to hear a comparison between the two...

I have Darto and Matfer pans.

Matfer is much lighter and heats quicker

Darto holds its seasoning much better.

Darto is pretty.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

I have Darto and Matfer pans.

Matfer is much lighter and heats quicker

Darto holds its seasoning much better.

Darto is pretty.

My Darto warped.

• Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 months later...

DARTO Carbon Steel Pans info@dartointernational.com via gmail.mcsv.net 

DARTO /// Presale - Our n.27 pan, thicker than usual

I got an email with this announcement and thought I'd pass it on.   If I needed one, I'd prefer one with a bigger diameter.  I have one Darto which is the largest diameter and one from Made in (France) that is larger and I like it OK.

Here's the link to Darto detailing the presale...

https://www.dartointernational.com/pre-sale

"

The wanted mistake / Pre-sale

Thicker than usual, same price as always

We are happy to announce that from January 18 to 24 we’ll offer our traditional saute pan n.27 with 4mm thickness, instead of 3mm, at the same price (60 USD). This design was born by accident some time ago and we never did it again until now. As we know that many of you could enjoy its benefits we decided to launch this presale worldwide again.

Be aware! Although it’s great preserving heat, it’s also heavier (2.8 kgs / 6.1 lbs). As we don't use to manufacture this special design, it will only be able during this week, not later.

"

There's more info on the page. Looks like it won't ship until the end of April.

I'm considering it, knowing my wife will never use this due to it's weight. Finally, a pan of my very own!!!!

Edited by CentralMA (log)
  • Haha 2

I so want to love Darto and am tempted.  But I have reservations.  I own three Darto pieces.  When they arrived I seasoned them religiously.  The paella seasoning was removed after one paella.  (Tomato tends to do that.)  Worse, the pan warped when I tried to make tortillas.  Now all three of my Darto pieces have rusted even though they were initially well seasoned.  As best I can recall the two smaller Darto pans had never been used for cooking.  I bought them with the idea of employing them in the CSO.

By contrast my Falk frypan is 2.6 kg and has neither rusted nor warped.

Should I be tempted by this sale?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

I treat mine like cast iron - haven't had any of  those issues...

This year, during a full kitchen remodel (small kitchen, I demo'd and installed all new goods) I treated myself to a BlueStar range. I didn't expect the difference in my cast and carbon pans going from an electric coil stovetop to a high output gas unit. The seasoning has gotten much better, just from use, even on pans I've owned for 40 years, and cast pans I've inherited through the family from the late 1800s.

For paella I use the "standard" thin carbon steel pans. I've never worried about losing seasoning on thise pans, they get abused as I always do paella over a live fire using a 22" Weber kettle.

I keep heavy tomato product cooks far away from my cast and carbon, instead using porcelain coated cast.

If a Darto pan warped, under typical use, I'd contact Darto direct. I've heard they're pretty good for customer service.

For your Dartos that are showing a bit of rust, get some veg oil or mineral oil on them quick, Don't bother cleaning them until you plan on using them next, then do a heavy scrub and suffer through the first few cooks while the seasoning is starting to develop. A few sacrificial potatoes and oil will get a good start.

I'm still on the fence about this purchase. I fear my wife will certify me as unfit for everyday life, adding another pan to the already overstocked arsenal.

IMG_1968.JPG

Edited by CentralMA (log)
  • Like 4