• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DARTO pans

rotuts

Started seasoning and using the 25. Was able to cook a sunny side up egg and some potatoes after following one round of the oil, salt, potato skins stove top method. Following up with some thin coats of oil done on the stove top. May try an oven seasoning method on one of the other pans. Really enjoying the Darto pan!

DartoPanSeasoningStart.jpg.c63c719ae4db52fb8130968147055fe7.jpg

• Like 4

Started seasoning my 20 using the stovetop method from Serious Eats (https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/06/how-to-season-carbon-steel-pans.html). Liked the way that it looked so switched to the Serious Eats oven method and added seasoning to the 25 & the 20. Here is a picture of the 20 with 6 coats of seasoning (the 25 has more but I've lost count). Will cook on the 20 tomorrow (and clean the cooktop!) and see if it does as well with eggs as the 25. @Hassouni, @j89k, and other new Darto owners how are your pans doing?

1304014661_DartoPansSeasoningCoats-6-lowres.jpg.04521ecec509001e51465d64f4a354ed.jpg

Edited by curls (log)
  • Like 5

My SO cooked... something in my 25, and left the pan on a low burner long enough for the residual oils to gelatinize-ish up into that sticky super glue gunk.  sigh.  You know what I'm talking about.  

There went a year of seasoning, but such is life.    

This was well past: boil water in it.  Past stainless scrubby with BKF.  Next night I cooked outside on the Weber, and took the pan back to bare metal over white oak fire.  Scrambled up a few sacrificial eggs in oil and loads of kosher salt, and started anew.  Back to slick in no time.

Love these pans.  Light, indestructible, great performance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CookTek said:

Love these pans.  Light, indestructible, great performance.

I seem to have warped one of my Darto pans.  But it was not easy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

Seasoned mine with avocado oil in my friends outdoor kitchen. Her grill has natural gas piped right to it. Seasoned at high temp 500-550 for about 25 minutes a round. I did 5 or 6 rounds. Looked much better than stovetop method.

I've cooked quite a bit with the 27. I regularly use it for breakfast taters, sauteeing onions, bacon, and eggs. Very non stick. Enjoying the pan.

I have yet to use the 35. It'll definitely get used to roast my thanksgiving turkey.

I gave the 25 as a wedding gift. The couple that received it were delighted.

20191020_134850.jpg

Edited by j89k (log)
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

DARTO  seems to be back in the sale business:

50 % off , USA only

something to do w a different distribution plan , country by country :

7aa337da-dfc4-4dc8-8178-dbf00f5c9977.jpg

We are starting giving distribution of our products directly from the United States.  This reduce shipping cost from Argentina considerably. 

We will start delivering every 15th of all purchases that were made before every 15th of each month.  So we will send all shippings together that were made in those four weeks.

At the same time if you want your product as soon as possible we are giving an option were you pay an additional shipping cost.

We are starting with United States, but we will continue with Europe with base in Hamburg Germany.

We always wanted to achieve clients internationally with a better price and we assume we are getting there.

Hope you all enjoy this news as we do!

Best Regards,
DARTO 

Im thinking a smaller paella for the CSO

• Like 4

OK !  , OK ! ,  OK !   

---   Joe Pesci   ( varios ' Lethal Weapon ' movies )

[ ed.: rotuts has not seen The Irishman yet.  keep that in mind , please ]

I do not need more DARTO

but Id like something a bit smaller for the CSO

I have the paella # 27

Im interested in the P 25 and P 20

does anyone have either and might give me a snap

of how it looks in the CSO ?

the 25 is only about 1 " smaller , and the 20 possibly 3 "  smaller

im interesting in something that might make a single serving

ie  " Tomato Sauce , w CSO oven poached Eggs "

gobble gobble

maybe a rice based dish for the P 25 w left overs in mind ?

many thanks  in advance

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Im interested in the P 25 and P 20

does anyone have either and might give me a snap

of how it looks in the CSO ?

Here, for your viewing pleasure, are the N 25 and N 20 paella pans in the CSO

IMG_1797.thumb.jpeg.74ffb6c94ebec59f61a47369aa26740e.jpeg

Here's another picture of the N 20 with a half-head of cauliflower that I posted a while back

IMG_9682.thumb.jpeg.46e4e7494337a12df472e83045e174d0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Here's another picture of the N 20 with a half-head of cauliflower that I posted a while back

That's a very shiny CSO!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

do they make any saute pans larger than their 27?  My All Clad LTD saute pan (which I'll be replacing since I'll be moving somewhere that I'll only have induction burners) is a 12" diameter... I use that size all the time.

10 minutes ago, KennethT said:

do they make any saute pans larger than their 27?  My All Clad LTD saute pan (which I'll be replacing since I'll be moving somewhere that I'll only have induction burners) is a 12" diameter... I use that size all the time.

There's the 35 cm paella.  Do you really want to be flipping a 35 cm steel pan with one hand?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

There's the 35 cm paella.  Do you really want to be flipping a 35 cm steel pan with one hand?

I have that one, it's an utter behemoth

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 1:43 PM, blue_dolphin said:

IMG_9682.thumb.jpeg.46e4e7494337a12df472e83045e174d0.jpeg

Damn it, I just pulled the trigger on a CSO and therefore pulled the trigger on Paellas 20 and 25 

My poor credit card :(

Edited to add: the damn CSO I ordered was out of stock, so now I'm still getting the P20 and P25 with nothing to put them in...except my full size oven and my stove

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

Damn it, I just pulled the trigger on a CSO and therefore pulled the trigger on Paellas 20 and 25 

My poor credit card :(

The 27 fits in the CSO as well. Just sayin'.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Let's take it one step at a time! I feel like if I'm cooking enough to break out a 27, I probably am cooking for more than one and can bother to turn my oven on

Follow up question for all Darto owners:

Do you ever use cast iron anymore? I have a Lodge 12 inch (the Darto 35 sort of covers that), and a lovely old Griswold no. 8, which is comparable to a Darto 25 pan, and I haven't used them much since I became a Dartophile. Anyone else? Like, has anyone made cornbread in a Darto?

Edited by Hassouni (log)