• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DARTO pans

rotuts

@blue_dolphin you make some excellent points for the 20. While I like the idea of the 15 paella pan for individual servings we don't tend to serve meals that way -- we either put out pre-portioned plates or serving platters. One exception, individual chicken pot pies... but I already have dishes for those.

56 minutes ago, curls said:

@blue_dolphin you make some excellent points for the 20. While I like the idea of the 15 paella pan for individual servings we don't tend to serve meals that way -- we either put out pre-portioned plates or serving platters. One exception, individual chicken pot pies... but I already have dishes for those.

I'm most often cooking for one person and I don't have an enormous appetite so keep that in mind when you consider my comments.  I have brothers with enormous appetites who would likely consider the 20cm/8 inch paella to be their own personal serving 🙃!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, curls said:

Anyone use the 15 or 20? They seem quite small, not sure what one would cook in them. Tempted to place an order and trying to figure out what I should get. Ah, you enablers & tempters!

Last sale I bought the 20, 25, and 27.  I only use the 27.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I was thinking of getting the P 25 and P 20 for the CSO.

my browser is a bit dated , and the new computer is still in the box , maturing.

I couldn't get to to the check-out to see the shipping cost because of this.

just as well , I might have gotten them , and rarely used them.

there are far less expensive oven safe ceramic items for the CSO

for baking and broiling

Saved by Sloth , Id say i was.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I was thinking of getting the P 25 and P 20 for the CSO.

my browser is a bit dated , and the new computer is still in the box , maturing.

I couldn't get to to the check-out to see the shipping cost because of this.

just as well , I might have gotten them , and rarely used them.

there are far less expensive oven safe ceramic items for the CSO

for baking and broiling

Saved by Sloth , Id saw i was.

The 27 fits in the CSO.

Just pulled the trigger on a 20 pan and 27 and 35 paellas. Damn. Already have a 25 and a 27 pan.

And this is me who doesn't have much time to cook anymore. Tells you how badass I think Darto is

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

they seem to have sold out many of their pans , esp the paella 

Yes, the only paella left is the 35. Don’t know how much inventory they have left but based on today’s sales & sold outs I’d bet they sell out of everything by Saturday.

• Like 1

Dammit I bought one. And by one I mean three. The 25, 27, and 35. Mostly wanted the pans, but I think the paella will make a good roasting pan (I currently use a hotel pan). I mostly snagged it because shipping was 50 bucks if I didn't hit 150.

I rescued a 10 inch "Blue Steel" Made In pan from my uncles house a few months ago. My aunt had warmed up some sauerkraut in it and ate 50% of the seasoning off. The pan was a touch rusty when I found it. Everyone quit using it once it was ugly. Now that I've been cooking out of it for a few months I'm sending it back to him all pretty again. Hopefully aunty remembers to use stainless for the sauerkraut!

One of my main users is a 10.5 inch cast iron Stargazer. After using my uncles carbon for a few months I'm ready to buy my own.

I had been looking at Heart and Spade Forge out of Roanoke VA. Pretty pans. Pretty expensive. Especially when you could buy copper for the same price. I'm glad I snagged 3 pans instead of 1.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, KennethT said:

I've heard reports that carbon steel (especially Darto pans) sometimes doesn't work on induction.  Can anyone verify that?

My Darto pans work well on induction, but beware of warping on high heat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KennethT said:

I've heard reports that carbon steel (especially Darto pans) sometimes doesn't work on induction.  Can anyone verify that?

Never had an issue.   Can’t imagine where this might have come from unless we are talking about warped pans. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Mine arrived today.

Gonna be a labor of love getting these things ready to cook on. Sticky sticky with some sort of shellac.

No dents, but lots of scratches and some brown stuff which might be rust?

This box has seen some stuff. I received a notice that it was only picked up on the 23rd. Two days in transit. The opening scene of Ace Ventura Pet Detective comes to mind.

• Haha 2

On 8/1/2019 at 1:55 PM, Hassouni said:

Just pulled the trigger on a 20 pan and 27 and 35 paellas. Damn. Already have a 25 and a 27 pan.

And this is me who doesn't have much time to cook anymore. Tells you how badass I think Darto is

And here they are. The gunk is next level. As someone else said, it's almost as if they've been shellacked, except that shellack isn't sticky. How the hell do you get this stuff off?

My last set weren't this bad at all

Darto 2.jpg

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hassouni said:

And here they are. The gunk is next level. As someone else said, it's almost as if they've been shellacked, except that shellack isn't sticky. How the hell do you get this stuff off?

My last set weren't this bad at all

I have an industrial grade vapor degreaser that I imagine would work very well!  Seriously - what about "degreaser in a can" - usually available at autoparts stores, or maybe oven cleaner?