• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DARTO pans

rotuts

18 hours ago, rotuts said:

@&roid

I wasn't aware you had to sacrifice a few eggs first

when I tried ' low-temp "  scrambled didn't work at all

LT = when butter melts but does not sizzle.

I then thought for the slick coating to work , it had to be brought up

to "  temp " first

Having seen your experience earlier in the thread I tried a different technique to my usual low temp method. I did them really quickly over a medium/high heat which I turned off after just 30 seconds or so. I’ll try some low temp ones today but if it ends up like you described I think I can live with the quick way of doing them - they were good eggs 😊

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:36 AM, &roid said:

Interestingly I just found this video (while going through a bit of baby-induced insomnia, might as well use feeding time productively right?).

Red wine also works for baby induced insomnia,

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Well...I started using the pans, frying up some sausage and some bacon...after 6 coats of flax seed oil...and they acted like carbon steel pans with a moderate amount of sticking. I am going to use them, use them and use them...for frying, and use a moderate of oil in them until they build up some non stick to them...Its hard sometimes breaking in new pans..and you always want to go back to your old tried and true standbys..

But I will stick with it.

• Like 3

Got an email from Darto this morning (in Spanish), which my broken Spanish and an assist from Google Translate tells me they are putting all their "seconds" on sale at 50 percent off starting Jan. 18. Of course, there's still the astronomical shipping to contend with, but if you ordered enough, you could likely still get some decent deals.

According to the letter, the seconds may have "stripes, blows, pressing problems, but in all cases we consider them perfectly functional." The one exception is the #27, which was made by mistake from 4 mm steel instead of 3mm, and they're just going to sell those as usual and not make any more.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb

very interesintg

my Gmail can't be bothered to work

In interested in a CSO pan a bit smaller than then one I have

its the Max

that being said   ...

im sure I other things that might work.

But ................

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I couldn't pass up the 4mm #27.

now , , , it's my first foray into "black iron pans" - so I've got no background to compare to other similars comma however:

(side note:  natural gas cooktop....)

- sides are relatively vertical making for a (large-larger-largish) flat area in relation to it's overall diameter

- compared to a Bourgeat 3690.28, it pre-heats faster

- compared to an ancient Griswold, it pre-heats at warp speed

- seasoning:  I just cook fatty stuff in the pan until . . .  it's about 1/2 'perfectly' seasoned at the moment

- the sear on scallops, roasts and crab cakes is superb. 

- it sears better than the ss/copper (? spread heat _too_ fast...?) and 'easier' than the cast iron (heats faster / sears 'faster')

- releases quicker than either of the CI or ss/copper.

I'm very pleased with it.

• Like 3

Man, I really want that error #27. I think I might do it just for laughs, but I think I'd get cross looks from my dear sweet wife. I've been waiting on a #31 forever, and it seems like they're doing a #30. But they told me last year that the #31 was coming this year... and I couldn't wait. I ended up with a 12" All Clad D7. It is the freaking truth. I love it as much as my Dartos, and the fact that I can do acid in it without worry is a boon. It's thick as nards and weighs 1965g. Only 4.5 pounds, but because it's D7 the evenness and heat-up time are unrivaled [relative to cast iron and reactive steel]. I got a new open box one direct from the factory for roughly Darto prices.

I season mine with Bar Keeper's Friend because I like to ride eternal, shiny and chrome.

Edited by btbyrd
Relativity (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

possibly.

but the translation is possibly not exact :

Drt3.thumb.jpg.e01b6cbc5b7b9cab29d3a0a1d907680e.jpg

this implies , w a poor translations , that order under $ 150 will show shopping before purchase.

so

who has excess minutes on their cell and will call them ?

I called twice in the past , but my VirginMoble is not charged at the moment.

sent an email.

Edited by rotuts (log)

got a reply from DARTO :

"  

We will ad that information so to be more clear, thank you for notice that.

Yes, if you order under 150 usd, shipping cost will be an additional cost.

Best regards and thank you to talk about us.

Nicolas

uc?export=download&id=0B17nC5KCIEkZZmQ4QTNRa2hjQjQ&revid=0B17nC5KCIEkZRE50enlQbkEvWkJicmdySFJkQ2hON0JFMkVjPQ

+5411 4776 5023
Horarios: de Lunes a Viernes de 15 a 19 hs
Republica Argentina

I have the paella N 27 , and would like something smaller

the n 25 is 8.2 " vs 9 " for the 27

the n 20 seems to be out of stock , and its 6.2 "  

that's the ' work surface I thnk   i.e. the cooking areea

I respons to the email and as about the out of stock issues

cheers

sorry   I could not change the blue print
  • Like 1

I have the 25. Perfect for two, if they're not huge eaters. I'd like one of the larger ones for groups. My cooktop (one of those solid surface electrics), has one burner which varies in size but will get up to 14 inches, so I could handle a decent sized pan.

I will be glad when I learn to cook on this stove. It cooks much hotter than my old one.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I have the 25. Perfect for two, if they're not huge eaters. I'd like one of the larger ones for groups. My cooktop (one of those solid surface electrics), has one burner which varies in size but will get up to 14 inches, so I could handle a decent sized pan.

I will be glad when I learn to cook on this stove. It cooks much hotter than my old one.

Remind me, please: it's a Samsung. Electric or gas? Dual/convertable oven, or single chamber only?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

Remind me, please: it's a Samsung. Electric or gas? Dual/convertable oven, or single chamber only?

Samsung solid-top electric. Single oven, convection + regular, with a warming drawer below. Top units get hotter than they did on my old electric stove. What I used to turn down to 4, I now have to go down to 2 or even Low. 

Love the oven.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

Anyone use the 15 or 20? They seem quite small, not sure what one would cook in them. Tempted to place an order and trying to figure out what I should get. Ah, you enablers & tempters!

2 hours ago, curls said:

Anyone use the 15 or 20? They seem quite small, not sure what one would cook in them. Tempted to place an order and trying to figure out what I should get. Ah, you enablers & tempters!

I have 20s in both the skillets and paella pans.  The 20 skillet (old style) is a size (~ 8 inches) that I use very often.   While I don't have the 15 skillet I like my little 5 inch cast iron skillet for toasting spices or gently warming garlic in a small amount of oil so I think it could be a handy size to have.

I have the the 20 and 25 paella pans and use them often.  Both fit nicely into the CSO.  The 20 is good for ~ 2 - 3 servings of something.  If I'm cooking more that that, I sometimes prefer the higher sides of the Lodge L8SKL Cast Iron Pan instead as the 25 paella pan's sides are just over an inch high which can lead to me making a mess.

The 15 paella pans look like they'd be adorable for individual servings and I've been tempted to get a few for that purpose.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1