• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DARTO pans

rotuts

I would note the No. 27 paella pan works not only quite well for paella for two (or one with a big appetite), but also works quite well for a deep dish pizza for two.

I am astounded at how much easier the DARTO seasons than did my Lodge carbon steel pans, and they allegedly already had some seasoning. Born and bred Tennessee Vol that I am, I have to confess the Argentinians have my folks from South Pittsburg whipped in that category.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 minutes ago, kayb said:

I would note the No. 27 paella pan works not only quite well for paella for two (or one with a big appetite), but also works quite well for a deep dish pizza for two.

I am astounded at how much easier the DARTO seasons than did my Lodge carbon steel pans, and they allegedly already had some seasoning. Born and bred Tennessee Vol that I am, I have to confess the Argentinians have my folks from South Pittsburg whipped in that category.

Didn't Joseph Lodge spend about eight years working in Peru?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...

This evening I brought one of my Darto pans to the local hardware store for advice on how to shine it up.  The clerk took it into the women's room with a can of Barkeeper's Friend.  As much as I love Jeff Bezos I would not have expected that kind of service.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I have been contemplating a Darto pan, as I have had significant issues with my Matfer(s) (how on earth CI rated this the best pan is beyond me - well, it is not really beyond me, surely some 'donations' were involved...) am on my second one and it cannot hold any seasoning, despite five attempts at doing 10 layers with the flax / high heat method.

Curious as I was under the impression that Darto's came seasoned....?  Yet it seems as if people are now having to season them.  One of the attractive factors was the pre-seasoned element (given the trials I have attempted to endure with the Matfers).

5 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Curious as I was under the impression that Darto's came seasoned....?  

Not quite sure how you got this impression but it certainly wasn’t anything that I got. My Darto pans were not seasoned by any stretch of the imagination. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Not quite sure how you got this impression but it certainly wasn’t anything that I got. My Darto pans were not seasoned by any stretch of the imagination. 

Upon further reflection, it seems I might have been hallucinating that the old styles, as dark as they came, were pre-seasoned.

Apparently I was mistaken?

I am quite put off by the Mafter's inability to hold its seasoning.  Curious to hear others experiences with Darto's in such respects.

Edited by TicTac (log)

@TicTac

for me , DARTO pans hold their seasoning

at high temp   

by that I mean the usual sauté / fry temps.

I tried low-temp scrambled eggs in a med older style pan , the first generation lets say

and the eggs stuck like crazy 

they were hard to remove and some of the seasoning came off w a necessary scrub to get the eggs off

I not use DARTO for low-temp eggs any more

I use a T-Fal non-stsick pan.   these pans when taken care of are excellent

the version that goes in a hot oven , not the version(s) sold a Target etc

this one :

https://www.amazon.com/T-fal-Nonstick-Cookware-Thermo-Spot-Indicator/dp/B000GWK2X2?th=1

We seasoned ours last week--I can't remember how many high heat/flax oil repeats we did.  At least 6...probably 8?  Anyway, we've done eggs--both scrambled and sunny side up.  They slide around like a dream.  Do be prepared to also scrub the heck out of them before seasoning.  

• Like 1

by Low-Temp eggs I meant :

temp where the butter just melts

and does not sizzle.

very creamy result for scrambled eggs

just not in the DARTO

as far as I can tell

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I returned to my DARTO pan project today.  Much Barkeeper's Friend, steel wool, and elbow grease and the pans looked pretty good, if I don't mind saying so myself.  After washing I dried them carefully and left them upside to evaporate the last trace of moisture before seasoning.

It crossed my mind to take a picture but when I returned to the kitchen the pans were all rusted, and not a little.  Thirty minutes.  Thirty minutes, that's all it took.  Some effort later I had them mostly shined up.  The pans looked pretty good again but even so the oil towel came up orange.

Am I doing something wrong?  I'm beginning to think stainless steel was invented for a reason.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

@JoNorvelleWalker I usually cook off the moisture on the stove and then re oil promptly.  Oxygen is sneaky. 

I could arrange a blanket of CO2 but at this point I don't feel up to it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I live in Hawaii, not far from the ocean. If I leave the room....a pan will rust. I have to be pretty diligent about oiling them. And yes, I dry them off on the stove as well.

On a bright note, I am getting DHL notices that my Darto pans are on the way!

• Like 4

My DARTO pans are in the oven for their fourth layer.  Just for fun I glanced over at my Lodge pan and it's rusted.  I bought the Lodge for baking bread in the CSO and it was well seasoned until I made a Georgian recipe.  The entropy of the universe is not decreasing.

I now bake bread in the CSO on a 1/2 inch sheet of 316L stainless steel.

• Like 1

It’s getting nearer! My package left buenos aries on on Friday, had a brief layover in Madrid and Leipzig and is now sitting in the Manchester delivery depot, probably won’t be with me till 2nd Jan but that’s ok 👍🏻 

I’m a little nervous to see what state it’s in after its trip 

• Like 2

The 35 Paella pan is finally here!  Here's a pic of it next to its smaller G1 siblings for scale.  

20181228_144411.thumb.jpg.86d56fcc48b5f12b2858c153127a886f.jpg

I appreciate the refined fit-n-finish of the new pan.  As many of you know, the handles of the original pans have fairly sharp edges.  One day I'll get around to grinding them down.  Darto has clearly heard our concerns, and so they took the time and effort to slightly round off the edges from the handles, underside of handles, pan edges.  Much appreciated!

The pan came with a protective coating of wax, or something or another, that just took some elbow grease, dawn, hot water, and a stainless scrubby to remove.  

As far as seasoning, I admit I don't really fuss or buy into the multi-layer baking process.  I own these 4 Darto pans, a boatload of Lodges, other carbon steel pans and woks, and all I've ever done was "sacrifice" a couple of eggs during 1st seasoning.  

20181228_150920.thumb.jpg.75d129b36ec2259967e765534f2f9d10.jpg

I just heat up a neutral oil till smoking, throw in the eggs, a load of kosher salt, and just "scramble" till the eggs dry up.  Again, as many of you likely know, if you just put oil in a pan, it can gunk up and turn sticky.  The eggs serve as both an oil sponge and a towel of sorts that allows me to rub the oil in the pan smoothly.  

Dump out the eggs and salt, wipe it down with paper towels, and done.  Time to get on with normal cooking.  

I don't know if this helps or just inflames the "seasoning" argument, but this is what I do, what I've done for a couple of decades, and all my various iron / steel pans are super slick.  

I plan to use this pan extensively for Tapas on my 26" Weber kettle.  I burn white oak and cook the tapas over open flame in my Darto pans, Columbian black clay pans, Spanish cazuela, etc.

• Like 5