• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DARTO pans

rotuts

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

Yes. I must admit that the reports from @blue_dolphin have quelled any recent urge I've had to splurge on one of these pans. The condition of @kayb' is much less daunting. 

I enjoy admiring the finished results, though! Kudos to those of you willing to put in the work.

At least they received theirs.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, quiet1 said:

I haven’t gotten even a shipping notice yet that I can find. I did the pre-sale around the same time as everyone else, I think.

I got my shipping notice from DHL immediately after it was shipped and they had picked it up.  I didn't receive anything directly from DARTO.  They said they would ship them by the end of November and I rather expected that mine would be shipped on the very last day since that's par for the course for me,  but I lucked out and got them a bit earlier this time. 

Seasoning is functionally complete.  

fullsizeoutput_384a.thumb.jpeg.e1fec625ba3e14f6cdae223c930a63eb.jpeg

Just for looks,  I may give the skillet a few rounds in the oven to get the handle.  I did oil it for the first few rounds but as has been observed above by others, the handles don't get hot enough on the stovetop to oxidize the oil. 

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I got my shipping notice from DHL immediately after it was shipped and they had picked it up.  I didn't receive anything directly from DARTO.  They said they would ship them by the end of November and I rather expected that mine would be shipped on the very last day since that's par for the course for me,  but I lucked out and got them a bit earlier this time. 

Seasoning is functionally complete.  

fullsizeoutput_384a.thumb.jpeg.e1fec625ba3e14f6cdae223c930a63eb.jpeg

Just for looks,  I may give the skillet a few rounds in the oven to get the handle.  I did oil it for the first few rounds but as has been observed above by others, the handles don't get hot enough on the stovetop to oxidize the oil. 

Wow, those look gorgeous. What was your seasoning process?

21 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

Wow, those look gorgeous. What was your seasoning process?

After I cleaned off the sticky gunk, I used the method in this video from Vollrath.  Stovetop, very thin layers of oil. Times 10.  

It's pretty much the same as DARTO's video, except using flax oil instead of corn.

I ended up just using steel wool for the initial clean up because of how much sticky gunk was on them.  Not sure that would be necessary if the pans weren't so dirty.  

4 minutes ago, &roid said:

Beautiful, @blue_dolphin  They look great now. How many coats did you end up doing? I’ve seen mention of six, ten even? More??

Have you cooked with them yet?

I did at least 10 coats.  I was doing 5  pans and I forgot to mark down my count at first so a couple of them may have gotten a few bonus coats.

I cooked some bacon in the big one and did a fried egg test on the two smaller ones and they passed.  I'm looking forward to some real cooking now!

• Like 5

FWIW,

I'm still waiting for a cookbook shipped via DHL from Waldenbooks in Horseheads, NY (about 20 miles away at the time) back in the '90s!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

It occurs to me my small paella pan would make a marvellous deep-dish pizza pan for one big eater or two smaller appetites. Must put that on the to-try list.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

YES!

And the larger pan would make a nice larger deep dish pizza pan. I think they will make great roasting pans as well.

I use my Blu Skillet pan for roast chicken.

Edited by wabi (log)

For what it's worth, despite all the confusing emails and DHL fuckups, Nicolas from Darto sent me a replacement for my missing no. 27 pan super fast, for no additional charge

• Like 11

My first effort to season my pan started today. First, I removed the battery from the smoke detector. Then I heated up the pan on the stove and went after it with steel wool until it looked and felt  like all the preservative gunk on the inside was gone.

IMG_2921.thumb.JPG.cfba54a0f806baadbf0ccbf5aa8b392a.JPG

Then I simply dipped a paper towel lightly into the vegetable oil I use for making French fries, and wiped it into the pan and put it on the biggest burner I have, on high.

IMG_2927.thumb.JPG.53acfd5d15da803a10964853a40b6a94.JPG

I did this until it stopped smoking, wiped it again with the oil soaked paper towel, waited until it stopped smoking again and cooled it off. I did the same thing again and again (probably 6 or 7 times, until it looked evenly dark and coated.

Here is what I think is the finished product, cooling off outside on the deck. I am looking forward  to seeing how eggs do in it tomorrow morning.

HC

IMG_2929.thumb.JPG.0992bada0ce729290437509bf7c53014.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I was supposed tp get my pans 

"by the end of the day "

today

looks dark ouside

so , Its the end of the day ?

so I called DHL

they have no idea where my order is.

" its on a plane ?"

well . what plane ?

" from Argentina ? "

when will I get my shipment , and why did you send me the email  " by the end of the day "

"  we will call you tomorrow "

C*R*A*P

no matter what DARTO does in the future

idiots they are.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

in deed

the first shipments from a year ago ++

did arrive fine

the first w the burlap DARTO bag

then a later one , w the ends sticking out  but sound

Ill call DARTO tomorrow 

and mentioned this to them

its a shame their Pans are mucked around with by DHL.