• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DARTO pans

rotuts

My last DHL notice says my FLYING PAN STEAL is "is awaiting the next scheduled movement"

The website tells me it has arrived in Van Nuys, CA and I know that due to the active fires and freeway closures, there is currently no straightforward way to get from there to here.  Hopefully it won't get lost in the meantime!

• Like 2

My flying pan steal (aka a small paella pan, perfect for two people) is here! I'm afraid I am ruined. Will be ordering Darto again.

Box was banged up, but in one piece.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

24 minutes ago, kayb said:

My flying pan steal (aka a small paella pan, perfect for two people) is here! I'm afraid I am ruined. Will be ordering Darto again.

Box was banged up, but in one piece.

No word yet from DHL on my shipment.  When you say "small", which size is that?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I would like to echo a previous poster...by all means post pictures of your pans delivered...and if you can, your pans in use, or once seasoned.

I am interested to see the relative sizes of the paella pans. I ordered the full size.

If I need a large roasting pan now, I will use a Staub oval roasting pan...my go to pan for roast chicken, or a larger Griswold pan. My go to pan for searing a steak after I sous vide cooked it is a DeBuyer pan that has gotten a little warped from heating it on my outside burner...I wonder if a Darto pan will replace it?

My view of the world is that if I can cook it on cast iron or carbon steel, I'll do it.

There is nothing in this world better for a Malliard reaction than carbon steel or cast iron.

Funny, here we are in the 21st century, and savoring the best of 19th century cooking methods.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No word yet from DHL on my shipment.  When you say "small", which size is that?

10-inch. I'm actively trying to reduce the number of leftovers that reside in my refrigerator until they're old enough to vote before I throw them out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

12 hours ago, kayb said:

10-inch. I'm actively trying to reduce the number of leftovers that reside in my refrigerator until they're old enough to vote before I throw them out.

As I recall I have a 10 inch coming as well.  Still no word from DHL.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Ok, so I've just read through the whole twelve pages of this thread and I'm convinced I need a couple of these pans in my life.  

I'm thinking a 25 or 27 sauté and a big paella.  I'd probably look at using the latter as a roasting pan, would that work?  How heavy are the larger models?

2 hours ago, &roid said:

Ok, so I've just read through the whole twelve pages of this thread and I'm convinced I need a couple of these pans in my life.  

I'm thinking a 25 or 27 sauté and a big paella.  I'd probably look at using the latter as a roasting pan, would that work?  How heavy are the larger models?

If the large pans are like my small one, be aware they are quite shallow. My 12-inch is probably an inch deep.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

https://www.darto.org/us/products/paella-n-25-pre-sale-shipping-in-december/

the # 25 paella is 1.1 " deep

https://www.darto.org/us/products/paella-n-27-pre-sale-shipping-in-december/

the # 27  paella is 1.5 " deep

https://www.darto.org/us/products/paella-n-35-pre-sale-shipping-in-december/

the # 35 is 1.9" deep

there was an even larger paella pan ,  but its not listed these days.  It had three handles

a friend ordered it and they said it was not ready as they had some production issues with it

• Like 1

The 101 freeway was re-opened yesterday and my pans were delivered.  They were all in the box, thanks to DHL for the extra packing tape:

fullsizeoutput_3843.thumb.jpeg.ae6d310ed87bd933337014eb488aa840.jpeg

On 11/9/2018 at 12:05 AM, Hassouni said:

...and on top of that, the finish is pretty rough...

Indeed, the finish on these is much rougher than the DARTO pans I've purchased previously.   

From left to right: N.20 and N.25 paella pans and N. 25 Saute pan.  They were all both sticky and rough when I removed them from the box. 

fullsizeoutput_3841.thumb.jpeg.6b18052ce343105f9f4d9e1ad5e9b196.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3842.thumb.jpeg.2d97abf0a994cbb0143ecd60101f497b.jpeg

I've spent a good amount of time with hot, soapy water, Barkeepers Friend, Goo Gone and steel wool just to get the N. 25 saute pan ready to season. 

For comparison, here's one of the old style style pans along with the new N. 25 saute pan.  That old pan hasn't been seasoned but it arrived with a clean, very smooth finish.

I like the slightly rounded finish on the handles but otherwise, I'm rather disappointed in the new style.

fullsizeoutput_383f.thumb.jpeg.695c50765b9da4c21b7ffe2292dacc0c.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've spent a good amount of time with hot, soapy water, Barkeepers Friend, Goo Gone and steel wool just to get the N. 25 saute pan ready to season. 

Did the steel wool help smooth out the surface, or was it just to get the gunk off?

10 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

Did the steel wool help smooth out the surface, or was it just to get the gunk off?

I was just trying what I had on hand to get the gunk off.  Once I was finished, the surface felt nice and smooth (as do my fingertips 🙃), and I'm making good progress on seasoning it.  It lacks the all-over darker coating that made the originals look more evenly seasoned from the start but I'm sure I'll get there.  Just disappointed to have to do so much scrubbing!

• Like 2

On 11/13/2018 at 5:11 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I was just trying what I had on hand to get the gunk off.  Once I was finished, the surface felt nice and smooth (as do my fingertips 🙃), and I'm making good progress on seasoning it.  It lacks the all-over darker coating that made the originals look more evenly seasoned from the start but I'm sure I'll get there.  Just disappointed to have to do so much scrubbing!

eek, that's a shame 😬

How are they coming along now?

Does anyone have a mid-sized old style pan (sweeping sides) that they're willing to sell?

I see some advantages to the new style, but I want a dedicated classic French omelette pan.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

4 hours ago, &roid said:

eek, that's a shame 😬

How are they coming along now?

They are coming along nicely.  I've been seasoning them on the stovetop, a couple at a time, adding a layer when I think of it. 

In the photo below, clockwise from upper left, the N. 20 paella pan just got cleaned up and is ready for its first layer of oil, the N. 25 paella pan is done and has passed a fried egg test, as is the old style N. 20 saute pan.  Both received ~ 10 layers of oil.

fullsizeoutput_3846.thumb.jpeg.b3d3f9cbf5c22b3abd794d2961ceb302.jpeg

In the lower left, the new style N. 25 saute pan is somewhere around halfway done.   

You can compare that small paella pan to this photo I posted previously as it looked out of the box.  I tried to get the inside as clean of marks as possible but for the outside, I only scrubbed with steel wool until it felt smooth and not sticky.

fullsizeoutput_3841.thumb.jpeg.6b18052ce343105f9f4d9e1ad5e9b196.jpeg

I'll take another class photo when I'm done. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
clarification (log)
  • Like 7

32 minutes ago, kayb said:

You know, it almost looks like something spilled on the package during transit. Wonder if that was the case?

There's no evidence of any of that brown sticky stuff inside or outside the box but I agree it looks like something spilled on them.  

The small paella had the most of it, both inside and outside the pan, the next one had a fair amount on the inside but the outside was pretty clean.  The sauté pan had some on the outside and less inside, mostly just below the rim. 

@kayb, sounds like your paella pan was clean when it arrived?  Maybe mine is the only one that got this gunk. 

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

There's no evidence of any of that brown sticky stuff inside or outside the box but I agree it looks like something spilled on them.  

The small paella had the most of it, both inside and outside the pan, the next one had a fair amount on the inside but the outside was pretty clean.  The sauté pan had some on the outside and less inside, mostly just below the rim. 

@kayb, sounds like your paella pan was clean when it arrived?  Maybe mine is the only one that got this gunk. 

Yes, mine was clean. This was its condition on arrival.

20181115_145406.thumb.jpg.8125f4c88427007468f62c0cb51318f6.jpg

Haven't attempted to season it yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Wow, that's much better!

Yes. I must admit that the reports from @blue_dolphin have quelled any recent urge I've had to splurge on one of these pans. The condition of @kayb' is much less daunting. 

I enjoy admiring the finished results, though! Kudos to those of you willing to put in the work.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown