• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DARTO pans

rotuts

13 hours ago, kayb said:

Sigh. I thought I was happy with my Lodge carbon steel pans, until I saw those.

I'm with you. Those pans are works of art. I'm telling myself that I do not need more works of art in my kitchen.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Even though my Darto pan was delivered last Thursday, I got this email today from DHL. It kind of makes you wonder just what kind an outfit it is. (Take special note of the description).

AWB Number: 5976118610
Pickup Date: 2018-10-18 14:30:39
Service: P
Pieces: 1
Cust. Ref:
Description: FLYING PAN STEAL
Ship From: Ship To:
DARTO
FRAY JUSTO SANTA MARIA DE ORO 2305
LOCAL A LA CALLE ARC
CAPITAL FEDERAL, ARC 1425
AR
HungryChris
WYLIE SCHOOL RD 97
CONNECTICUT CT CT CONNECTICUT
VOLUNTOWN, CTConnecticut 06351
US

EVENT CATEGORY
22 Oct 18 12:37 PM - Shipment on hold - WEST HARTFORD,UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Further Details - The piece has arrived later than normally scheduled and cannot make its expected planned movement / delivery cycle
Next Steps - The shipment will be processed in the next available movement or delivery cycle

Of Course the names may have been changed to protect the innocent, but just as I sat down to type this, a DHL van pulled up the driveway and delivered pan number 2 ????? Not quite sure what to say.....keep 'em coming?

HC

IMG_2524.thumb.JPG.3955b1f2bd7e0fcf3180a1b47007fc64.JPG

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my email from DHL that I presume was regarding the Darto pan shipment. It was in Spanish, and none of the clickable links work. So I will hope that means mine is on its way.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My DHL info says it cleared customs in Miami on October 25, but nothing further. To those who've received theirs already, how long did it take once it cleared customs?

@Hassouni

if you feel there are issues

why not call DHL on Monday ?

they were responsive to me

abd BTW :

those who have gotten their DARTO's early :

tongue-out.gif.e50209ad6519fac8a22ed35b11172359.gif

after all , mine will come the end of Novenber

after they have worked out all the Kinks w those of you

who got yours early .

Just to review :

tongue-out.gif.085d5f19c368a8941996d7cef66211ed.gif

• Haha 1

There's a slight kink on the rim of the 15cm.

anyone seasoned theirs? ..... I see the Australian no rivet brand recommend using an abrasive prior to seasoning to help the polymer adhere to the interior of the pan. Anyone tried this..... ?

image.jpeg

I very much doubt that the DARTO pans are so smooth that the first coat of a polymerizing oil wont adhere to it.

in woodworking , when applying several thin coats of a polymerizing oil , the first and subsequent coats are

very lightly sanded with 600 grit sandpaper so that the newer coat of oil has something to grip to so it doesn't just slide off.

you also have to remove the very fine ' dust ' before applying the new coat.

that makes more sense to me than worrying about the smoothness of the steel for the fist coat

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

I very much doubt that the DARTO pans are so smooth that the first coat of a polymerizing oil wont adhere to it.

in woodworking , when applying several thin coats of a polymerizing oil , the first and subsequent coats are

very lightly sanded with 600 grit sandpaper so that the newer coat of oil has something to grip to so it doesn't just slide off.

you also have to remove the very fine ' dust ' before applying the new coat.

that makes more sense to me than worrying about the smoothness of the steel for the fist coat

Are you suggesting to sand the pan between coats?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

only with superfine sandpaper if you have a sheet :  600 grit

these are hard to find

and then you have to remove the tiny bit of dust a something called a ' tack cloth '

might really not be necessary in a pan that gets high heat.

wood hopefully doesn't get to those temps.

so the process might be different

so probably not in the DARTO case

after all , you are adding seasoning all the time to the coasts you took so long to create

you don't do that with wood

Wood is sanded before sealing to both clean it and to open the grain so that the oil will more easily penetrate it. Sanding between coats of drying oils is an optional step, and typically isn't done for the sake of "adhesion" (at least, given my limited woodworking knowledge) but rather to even out any streaks or drips; if you're going for a high-gloss shine -- like applying tung oil to finish the body of an electric guitar -- then you'll want to sand periodically during the finishing process. Otherwise, it's not necessary. Sometimes people will also wet-sand with finishing oil in an attempt to fill the grain on textured woods. But I don't think any of this is all that relevant to seasoning carbon steel or cast iron pans. And like the man said, it's not as though the surface of these pans is so smooth that polymerized oil won't stick to it.

I've tried sanding one of my less desirable carbon steel pans, which is the odd-man-out of all my cast iron and carbon steel pans in terms of its ability to take seasoning. It didn't help. Granted, I didn't sand between coatings -- just enough to rough it up a bit initially with 600 grit sandpaper and 0000 steel wool -- but it didn't make a difference. 

Well, I got another notice from DHL, this one at least partially in English, that indicated my order had been picked up from the factory in Argentina. So I'm not getting excited about getting it any time soon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

Well either Darto or DHL messed up - my pans left Miami on October 25 then silence - I contacted DHL for more info, and today they found a single pan (I ordered 2), loose, out of its packaging in their "lost and found warehouse database" and the other has disappeared.

I hope none of you have to go through this!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

I have noted on my first shipment of the original pans

on package was well prepared , and the other one arrived in a bit os shambles 

the first one had the DARTO  sack , the second one did not , but a handle sticking out.

can't say if this is DARTO   or DHL's handling of DARTp packages.

didn't someone here get two separate packages of the same pan and they ordered one ?

@Hassouni

\

maybe that's your missing pan.

Im hoping they follow this thread , as they have ion the past but do not post

I ordered one, but got 2 a few days apart. In both cases the boxes were nearly destroyed and the pan could easily have fallen out. Both boxes were addressed to me and I have no idea what had happened. I got a notice that the first one was to be delivered a week or so before it actually was. I emailed Darto expressing my displeasure after about a week of the stated delivery date. They never responded. I still have no idea what happened.

HC

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

I ordered one, but got 2 a few days apart. In both cases the boxes were nearly destroyed and the pan could easily have fallen out. Both boxes were addressed to me and I have no idea what had happened. I got a notice that the first one was to be delivered a week or so before it actually was. I emailed Darto expressing my displeasure after about a week of the stated delivery date. They never responded. I still have no idea what happened.

HC

That's not good. I'd hate to file something against them

@Hassouni

and

@HungryChris

Id call them.

telephonically.

I had to do this w my first order so long ago

and a second in a similar time frame as I wanted to add one pan.

the first issue was their web site did or did not accept my CreditCard

i have an cell that I keep for emergecies

it has about a bazillion or more minutes on it.

I called  I politely asked if some one spoke english in my broken Spanish

the person that answered did and we sorted it all out

nicely.

if you have such a phone

call them   they were very polite and appreciated me calleing

get your data together and do it.

Why not ?

it helps them

it helps you

and maybe others .

in the future

• Like 2

I want to thank all of you enablers here on eGullet for introducing me to Darto pans...

I'm a shameless cookware hoe.

Now that Darto has opened itself up for orders again, it looks like I will be replacing most of my carbon steel pans with Darto.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

My pan (DHL has kindly decided to notify me in greater detail, and in English, to boot) has arrived in customs in Miami. 

I'm kinda scared. I'm afraid I'll wind up wanting to replace my Lodges (which, to be truthful, I haven't used as much as I thought I would).

Don't ask. Eat it.

the found pan arrived. no trace of the second. It has no markings on it so I don't even know which of the two it is. And the handle was bent (I was able to bend it back), and on top of that, the finish is pretty rough, nothing like the de Buyer pan I have....is that par for the course?

Yet another notification from DHL: package has been delivered to courier in Memphis, so I'm thinking I may see it today, tomorrow or Monday. Package contains, according to DHL, a "flying pan steal."

OK den.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.