• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DARTO pans

rotuts

no doubly the pans are exceptional

I truly mean that

but for collective reasons  not all of us chose to get them.

nothing more than that.

I chose a few Watanabe knives after a long debate   

I glad I was able take the time to save up and get them.

they suit me perfectly.

this pans might not

a Vesuvius Espresso Machine and an E8 girder to match 

is another mater.

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 4 months later...

their site does not seem to show their pans .

perhaps an update ?

Im looking forward to seeing what they've done.

the only thing I can think of is to slightly round over the edges of the handle

as some might find the edge on the current model uncomfortable.

you can do this yourself w sandpaper before Seasoning.

I sure hope they haven't done too much to them to make them ' fancier '

1 hour ago, Hassouni said:

Am I missing something really fundamental here? I can't see the pans on their website at all...https://www.darto.org/us/

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

their site does not seem to show their pans .

Like I said. The announcement was on their Instagram. The official drop is May 1st. It's not on the site yet, but many of their "old" pans are out of stock.

As far as a redesign, the handle is probably the most likely thing to have changed. The cooking part of the pans themselves are the perfect thickness as they are (in my opinion) but they're somewhat awkward to handle on account of the... handle. But I've found that these problems mostly vanish when you grab the handle with a side towel or pot holder.

I also think the way that they mold and imprint their logo on the pans will have changed. My suspicion is that the old production process was a 2-step process, where the pans are first stamped and formed out of the stock steel, and then later stamped with the logo on the handle (or the bottom of the pan, in the case of the paella pans). The new process (that I'm totally making up and have no actual knowledge of) may combine those steps, so that the pans are imprinted with the logo as they are stamped out from the steel. This way, the pan's shape is formed as the logo is imprinted and there won't be any room for pans to get bent out of shape when the logo gets stamped on (or for other errors). 

I'm interested to see what the new products will be. Like I said on the previous page, I asked Darto if they had plans to make a "No. 31" and they replied that it was 'on the list,' so maybe I'll be replacing my 31cm Matfer soon.

• Like 3

I very much like the current width of the DARTO

handle

it makes it easy to grab and ' turn out '

I have a number of outstanding french copper pans

3 mm

the handles are not as wide

and with these pans , larger size

it difficult to get a good enough grip on that handle 

and turn out the pans contents

the large sauté 

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

I didn't know you could embed Instagram stuff on the forum until today. So here's a few Insta pics of the bottom of my paella.

And here we are making some fried chicken and seared endive.

Good times.

Dope soundtrack!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Looks like they are making the sides more steeply sloped to increase the flat surface area.

I hope they don't abandon the old design completely. 

There's probably not a huge market for folks who prefer an omelet pan of that design, but I hold out hope that it won't disappear.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

There's a little more info up on their website.  Pre-sale discount of 30% from May 1 - 15 or when they reach 15,000 units.  Delivery not until Oct -Dec. 

There is a photo of the new pans but no individual specs or prices posted, at least that I could find.

• Like 1

# 25 and # 27.

the # 27 will require some Working-Out at the gym.

if its the same weight as my over version of # 27

on the other hand , once you season it properly and use it frequently 

you can cancel you gym membership and put some of those savings into making some M.R.

I have the older # 25 and # 27

i might be the new #25

but hardly need it.

hoping they are of the same quality as in the past.

those paella pans look very very tempting.   I donut have any of those 

suprise.gif.6dcb1909877ccac685f70acf2629c180.gif

I emailed DARTO

and asked about the shipping charges

I got this interesting reply in about 3 nanoseconds :

""    thank you for your mail,

In this pre-sale the shipping cost is already included in the final price you se at the web.

It means you won't be charge with an extra shipping cost.

Let us know for any further question you may have!

Best,

Nicolas Grosny 

uc?export=download&id=0B17nC5KCIEkZZmQ4QTNRa2hjQjQ&revid=0B17nC5KCIEkZRE50enlQbkEvWkJicmdySFJkQ2hON0JFMkVjPQ

yi8kes.   if I read this correctly

suprise.gif.578e77b7a344236f0530105ae7233d9d.gif
  • Like 1

Ive emailed for a confirmation that the price i see 

ie  " # 25  $56  "  is the delivered price.

they certainly are sharp to include shipping in their prices.

if this is so :

""  DARTO : def.:  Enablers from the Pampas  "

@HungryChris

no paella pan ?

Im very close to getting the new # 25

and the paella # 25

Im justifying this as Ill pretend the new #25  is halfway between my old 25 and old 27 !

in cooking area.

I do not have a paella pan

How can this be possible ?

cheers

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

no paella pan ?

Im very close to getting the new # 25

and the paella # 25

Im justifying this as Ill pretend the new #25  is halfway between my old 25 and old 27 !

in cooking area.

I do not have a paella pan

How can this be possible ?

cheers

I was thinking the #20 or maybe even the #25 paella pan would be handy to use with the CSO.  

• Like 1

Yikes !

they both fit in the CSO ?

handles included ?

money-mouth.gif.71b47783652c8dff961bf13c0580430c.gif

looks to me that the #25 might , if a a bit of an off set or not !

Edited by rotuts (log)

I use the largest ones the most, in part because the flared edges mean the smaller ones are pretty darned small. The redesign changes that considerably, so it's hard to say. But I'd still say to go with the two largest handled pans. The 15 is very small, almost a novelty. Almost. I end up using it more than I thought I would... usually when the stovetop starts to get crowded. It still gets used less than anything else though. I've always wanted to try the paella version, because i think that'd be great to cook and then serve to guests individually. The only reason I didn't get one of the 15cm paellas is that I fear I'd end up buying eight of them.

I am also a fan of the Number 34 paella, though I've never actually cooked paella in it. Thick, spacious, heavy... It's almost like someone took a big heavy cast iron dutch oven and just lopped of everything except the bottom two and a half inches (or however tall it is). For a big, flat searing surface it's hard to beat. Its walls are high enough to shallow fry, as you saw in my chicken video above. It's also where I make my pancakes. It kind of just lives on my stovetop. I use it more than I thought I would.

I cannot even begin to imagine how large the Number 50 is in person. It's even thicker than their other pans, apparently. Weighs 7kg. That's over 15lbs, if you count in the King's English. I bet it would rock the party on my wok burner. Definitely a "special occasion" or "professional/catering" sort of thing. Looks awesome though.

Anyway, I can't say that I'm feeling the need to buy anything since I already have a full set of handled models. If they'd made a Number 31 available, I would have gotten it and replaced my Matfer. And if I had infinity billion dollars, I'd buy two of every animal and buy a set for you fine folks as well. But I don't. The redesign and the new paellas are an exciting move. One of my only complaints of the Dartos was that the flare was a bit too gradual so that the actual cooking surface of the pan was much smaller than its total diameter would leave you to believe. That lead the pans to cook like they were smaller than they are (though the 27 is still pretty dang big). That's been fixed in the redesign, and the slope of the walls is supposed to improve the saute action. If that's all true, it's a win win. 

And +1 to the notion of using the little paellas in the CSO.  That sounds like a dangerously good idea.

On 4/26/2018 at 4:43 PM, Hassouni said:

Dope soundtrack!

Spoonie G and the Treacherous Three's "New Rap Language." From 1980. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 2