• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DARTO pans

rotuts

I received an email from DARTO stating that they have free worldwide shipping from today until Dec 10.

No mention of sale prices and the list prices are higher than I paid last year.  

Last year, I paid $43 for the 20 cm and $54 for the 23 cm and they are now listed at $53 and $64 respectively.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I received an email from DARTO stating that they have free worldwide shipping from today until Dec 10.

No mention of sale prices and the list prices are higher than I paid last year.  

Last year, I paid $43 for the 20 cm and $54 for the 23 cm and they are now listed at $53 and $64 respectively.

Still a nice price, I think

• Like 1

FWIW, I finally got my Lodge carbon steel pans seasoned and am using them regularly. I'm very happy with them. Enough so I don't see the need for a Darto.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 12/1/2017 at 11:54 AM, kayb said:

FWIW, I finally got my Lodge carbon steel pans seasoned and am using them regularly. I'm very happy with them. Enough so I don't see the need for a Darto.

Of course, if you are happy with the Lodges, that's great, but anybody considering the Darto should understand that they are in a completely different class than the Lodge.  The Dartos are seamless pieces of thick carbon steel and practically unique in the market, at any price.  They will last forever and will likely be the nicest pan you will ever use.  For many people the difference in price between the Dartos and something more conventional, will be very well worth the price.  I think anybody on the fence about these won't regret pulling the trigger.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, IEATRIO said:

Of course, if you are happy with the Lodges, that's great, but anybody considering the Darto should understand that they are in a completely different class than the Lodge.  The Dartos are seamless pieces of thick carbon steel and practically unique in the market, at any price.  They will last forever and will likely be the nicest pan you will ever use.  For many people the difference in price between the Dartos and something more conventional, will be very well worth the price.  I think anybody on the fence about these won't regret pulling the trigger.

I agree entirely.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2017 at 5:35 PM, IEATRIO said:

What, in your opinion, would allow these pans do anything better than, say, the deBuyer Carbone Plus?

I'm looking for a fish pan, and there is none made by Darto.

Edited by boilsover (log)

From a performance standpoint, I don't know that the Dartos are significantly different from other carbon steel pans of the same thickness. The main advantages of carbon steel are in its thermal mass and its kinda-sorta-mostly nonstick properties, and those are things you get with any carbon steel pan of sufficient thickness. I don't know that any Darto or Matfer or deBuyer carbon steel will outcook another Darto or Matfer or deBuyer that's the same thickness. From a cooking perspective, they're all pretty similar. The main reasons I like the Darto stuff go beyond performance. Darto is an extremely small company focusing on making basically one product. Their pans have the look and feel of something made by a craftsperson rather than something made in giant factory by robots or anonymous worker bees. And they're quite reasonably priced, even if they do cost a bit more than something from a larger manufacturer. The seamless design is something that, to my knowledge, only one other company does, and their pans are much more expensive. And I just think the Dartos look cool. They elicit comments. The same can't be said of my Matfer.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 1

I have a Matfer and a Darto. Both cook very well. Both are as nonstick as my Teflon that I don't use. . I can slide an omelet off both. 

But Darto is heavier and sears better and is way prettier. Way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

I have a Matfer and a Darto. Both cook very well. Both are as nonstick as my Teflon that I don't use. . I can slide an omelet off both. 

But Darto is heavier and sears better and is way prettier. Way. 

It looks like some Carbone Plus sizes are 3mm, some 2.5mm.  So it's reasonable to judge a 3mm Darto searing better than a 2.5mm Matfer.  Are you saying that, or are you saying that Dartos sear better than the 3mm Matfer?

Edited by boilsover (log)

indeed

agreed

Darto pans are stunning.

you do have to enjoy keeping them non-stick , etc

but that's not hard for such a fine WorkHorse.

there is one issue that might not make the Full Appeal

Apparent to those w smaller hand :

the handle has 90 degree edges and the with of the handle is substantial

compared w other pans.

that with is a plus as this pans are on the heavier side ,

so it makes turning them easier than if the handle was skinner.

I have very heavy copper pans from FR and they would have benefited w wider handles

but what to do about that Edge on the Handle ?

get some sandpaper before you season the pan and sand down those edges a bit

Night turns to Day.

Id suggest a small grinder

but most of you would just screw that up and not wear eye protection etc.

Darto is an exceptional pan for those who appreciate something that

asks them to participate in its use.

stuff you cram into the dish washer may be Might Fine

but its not going to be a Darto.

this are as it should be.

if you are willing to put a small deposit in that Bank

you might make some appreciated withdrawals in the future.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

indeed

agreed

Darto pans are stunning.

you do have to enjoy keeping them non-stick , etc

but that's not hard for such a fine WorkHorse.

there is one issue that might not make the Full Appeal

Apparent to those w smaller hand :

the handle has 90 degree edges and the with of the handle is substantial

compared w other pans.

that with is a plus as this pans are on the heavier side ,

so it makes turning them easier than if the handle was skinner.

I have very heavy copper pans from FR and they would have benefited w sider handles

but what to do about that Edge on the Handle ?

get some sandpaper before you season the pan and sand down those edges a bit

Night turns to Day.

Id suggest a small grinder

but yoyo would just screw that up and not wear eye protection etc.

Darto is an exceptional pan for those who appreciate something that

asks them to participate in its use.

stuff you cram into the dish washer may be Might Fine

but its not going to be a Darto.

this are as they should be.

Check Amazon for pot handle silicon - there are lots to choose from.

It does take away from the appearance, but only when you're using it (actually cooking) as its removable

p

• Like 1

@palo

excellent point

Id lobby for sliming down the edge

rather that getting a silicone protector.

that might just  be me

Im able to feel the Exceptional Quality of the Darto that way.

no joke

you have a fine item that you take care of ?

you will know what Im taking about.

17 hours ago, btbyrd said:

The main reasons I like the Darto stuff go beyond performance. Darto is an extremely small company focusing on making basically one product. Their pans have the look and feel of something made by a craftsperson rather than something made in giant factory by robots or anonymous worker bees. And they're quite reasonably priced, even if they do cost a bit more than something from a larger manufacturer. The seamless design is something that, to my knowledge, only one other company does, and their pans are much more expensive. And I just think the Dartos look cool. They elicit comments.

Then you should love everything about Blu skillets--except the price.  https://bluskilletironware.com/

Blu Skillet.jpg

8 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I'm sure they're nice and all, but I hate rivets and the prices are silly. 

I used to have similar opinions about the pricing of hand-made iron work.  After taking a couple of blacksmithing classes and making a few things, I now have a much greater appreciation for the amount of work that goes into producing something like this - dirty, hot, physically exhausting work.  Still, I personally don't put a high enough value on the aesthetics to justify buying one - I'd rather own 3+ Darto pans.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I'm sure they're nice and all, but I hate rivets and the prices are silly. 

Patrick & Karyn's shop is <1 mile from my house.  Patrick led me through the various steps involved, and they are many.  They earn their money.

The prices are high, yes, but they cannot keep up with orders and are almost always sold out.  They are the steel pan equivalents of a Bob Kramer knife.  I once had a NYC chef pay me to go down there and pick one up.