• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DARTO pans

rotuts

13 hours ago, btbyrd said:

My No. 27 came slightly warped, but it's gotten more warped recently. It wouldn't bother me if I still had a gas range, but now that I cook on a flat electric cooktop (or induction HOB), the wobble is annoying. Grr.

Wow!  That's a real con for me although I do have a gas range.  Warping just killed the deal.  Thanks for letting us know.

Edited by lindag (log)

@btbyrd 

call them.   I called them as they didn't properly charge my CC w my first order

they were very helpful and polite.  the owner happen to answer.

give it a try.

I think warping might be rare and not a deal breaker if you call,

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 9:21 AM, lindag said:

Wow!  That's a real con for me although I do have a gas range.  Warping just killed the deal.  Thanks for letting us know.

TLDR: There's actually no warping and the pans are totally fine. If you wanted to get them, get them. They're great pans and I'd buy them again.

Okay, so...

Upon investigation, it turns out that the pan isn't warped at all, but that all of my Dartos have a slightly rounded bottom so that they do not sit completely flat on a flattop. I'd never noticed this on my old gas burners because of the way the grates on those hold the pan. I moved about six months ago and hadn't noticed the wobble until the other night when, after a long night of cooking, a couple bottles of wine, and doing a big sinkful of dishes, I did a round of seasoning on my No. 27 (which hadn't been reseasoned since the move). I also did a round of seasoning of my 12" Matfer carbon steel pan at the same time. As it turns out, my No. 27. (and 23, 20, and 15) has a slightly convex bottom. This is only true of the bottom of the pan; the interior is completely even and flat. The curve on the exterior is very subtle -- so subtle that I hadn't noticed it on pans apart from the 27 until just now. The curve is least noticeable on the No. 15 and becomes slightly more noticeable as the pans get bigger... so it's most noticeable on the 27. But still, it's pretty subtle.

I'll add that the curve isn't getting worse. I just noticed it less in the past because for the first 8 months that I had the Dartos, I was cooking on grates rather than a flattop. Now that I'm on a flat surface all the time, it seemed like it'd gotten worse. Really, it was just that my heating surface had gotten flatter.

In practice, the curve doesn't impact the performance of the pans (at least in my experience with gas, electric, and induction) and my drunken complaint about warping was totally off the mark. It turns out that the pans don't sit totally flat and I didn't notice until I seasoned one alongside a Matfer (which sits completely flat).

At any rate, I still love these pans and would buy them all again. The Matfer pans are great too, but the Dartos look and feel like something special whereas most other brands just seem like "a good, solid pan." Don't let my hastily composed, drunken offhand comment dissuade you.

• Like 4

i took my # 27 down from the hanger , and plead it on a flat cutting board

the is a very very slight wobble.   measuring at ' the lip '  Id say its less than 1/16th of an inch of up / down distance w the wobble

had this not been mentioned Id never notice this cooking on an induction surface which is the only flat coking surface i have to check

Id never notice on a ' gas grate '

this is a pan you you enjoy and cherish and get a nice work out each time you used it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

i took my # 27 down from the hanger , and plead it on a flat cutting board

the is a very very slight wobble.   measuring at ' the lip '  Id say its less than 1/16th of an inch of up / down distance w the wobble

had this not been mentioned Id never notice this cooking on an induction surface which is the only flat coking surface i have to check

Id never notice on a ' gas grate '

this is a pan you you enjoy and cherish and get a nice work out each time you used it

Thanks to you and btbyrd, I will reconsider.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On May 18, 2017 at 11:29 AM, btbyrd said:

At any rate, I still love these pans and would buy them all again. The Matfer pans are great too, but the Dartos look and feel like something special whereas most other brands just seem like "a good, solid pan." Don't let my hastily composed, drunken offhand comment dissuade you.

I think Brandon said it very well.  I have generally been a DeBuyer person, but the Darto pans are simply more special.  Being forged from a single piece of metal, without any rivets, is simply badass.  I would like it if they softened the edges on the handle a bit, but I suppose that they assume that you won't be touching them with your bare hands and will be using a towel, and its no big deal.  But as far as I'm concerned they are really giving these things away -- ultra premium and unique cookware at a discount to the normal stuff.

• Like 3

I got an email from DARTO saying they will have a 50% off sale next Wed, June 7.  It's for 10 hours only, beginning @ 10AM. 

It also said that delivery won't begin until August 14.  

They didn't spell out the shipping charges so I don't know if the current free shipping will be in effect or not.

here is the same info from the email :

Spanish

5934109126366_DartoEsp.thumb.jpg.1836d245d4113e30480021176701c325.jpg

English

593410a3cefb9_darttE.thumb.jpg.b9e6c6e6cafcb407bf10b48a4cd438b7.jpg

Id check w them about shipping.  meal or call

Ive spoken w Nicolas in the past and his English , if that's your language is perfect

50% off and free shipping to Europe must be highly, highly unlikely....

would love a second 23" and  try a 20" and a couple of mini paellas. But wish they'd make an intermediate paella pan.

36 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Doesn't matter - every single 50% off item is out of stock!

I believe that the sale doesn't go online until 10:00 a.m. Buenos Aires time (9:00 Eastern U.S. Daylight Time).  I suspect that once the sale starts, that out of stock stuff will disappear.  To answer another question, it seems that shipping is included anywhere in the world for orders over $100.  The only question I have is to what extent these pans are imperfect "seconds."

The only thing you have to know is that shipping won't happen until August, so you have to be prepared to wait.  Presumably they are saving money by being able to fill orders without keeping stock, and having the money in hand to finance the manufacturing (no small thing in Argentina).

I will be backing up the truck.  The prices are ridiculous. 

Edited by IEATRIO (log)

24 minutes ago, adey73 said:

How do you actually pay???

last time I went straight to PayPal.

I placed my order and have the same problem.  It appears that they want to be paid in cash, at their location in Buenos Aires.  Apparently they also accept PagoFacil and RapiPago, but I don't know that they are any more usable for people outside of Argentina.  I've asked PagoFacil if they have a site in Portuguese or English, and they don't -- (I don't understand Spanish well but it seems you need to fund your purchase locally).  Not sure about RapiPago, but I see no English or Portuguese options there either.

I sent a message to Darto asking them what can be done.

Edited by IEATRIO (log)

Im betting their phones ares ringing off the hook.

if you are really keen , call them and ask for Nicolas.

I called about a CC issue and his English is excellent and the service outstanding.

probably not a good idea

but Id like to hear about the int.discounts as soon as they announce them

I do get their emails 

and I can't imagine using more than the two pans I have .............................

• 5 months later...