• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CentralMA

CentralMA

4 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

I treat mine like cast iron - haven't had any of  those issues...

This year, during a full kitchen remodel (small kitchen, I demo'd and installed all new goods) I treated myself to a BlueStar range. I didn't expect the difference in my cast and carbon pans going from an electric coil stovetop to a high output gas unit. The seasoning has gotten much better, just from use, even on pans I've owned for 40 years, and cast pans I've inherited through the family from the late 1800s.

For paella I use the "standard" thin carbon steel pans. I've never worried about losing seasoning on thise pans, they get abused as I always do paella over a live fire using a 22" Weber kettle.

I keep heavy tomato product cooks far away from my cast and carbon, instead using porcelain coated cast.

If a Darto pan warped, under typical use, I'd contact Darto direct. I've heard they're pretty good for customer service.

For your Dartos that are showing a bit of rust, get some veg oil or mineral oil on them quick, Don't bother cleaning them until you plan on using them next, then do a heavy scrub and suffer through the first few cooks while the seasoning is starting to develop. A few sacrificial potatoes and oil will get a good start.

I'm still on the fence about this purchase. I fear my wife will certify me as unfit for everyday life, adding another pan to the already overstocked arsenal.

IMG_1968.JPG

CentralMA

CentralMA

4 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

I treat mine like cast iron - haven't had any of  those issues...

This year, during a full kitchen remodel (small kitchen, I demo'd and installed all new goods) I treated myself to a BlueStar range. I didn't expect the difference in my cast and carbon pans going from an electric coil stovetop to a high output gas unit. The seasoning has gotten much better, just from use, even on pans I've owned for 40 years, and cast pans I've inherited through the family from the late 1800s.

For paella I use the "standard" thin carbon steel pans. I've never worried about losing seasoning on thise pans, they get abused as I always do paella over a live fire using a 22" Weber kettle.

I keep heavy tomato product cooks far away from my cast and carbon, instead using porcelain coated cast.

If a Darto pan warped, under typical use, I'd contact Darto direct. I've heard they're pretty good for customer service.

For your Dartos that are showing a bit of rust, get some veg oil or mineral oil on them quick, Don't bother cleaning them until you plan on using them next, then do a heavy scrub and suffer through the first few cooks while the seasoning is starting to develop. A few sacrificial potatoes and oil will get a good start.

I'm still on the fence about this purchase. I fear my wife will certify me as unfit for everyday life, adding another pan to the already overstocked arsenal.

IMG_1968.JPG