• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

I use the largest ones the most, in part because the flared edges mean the smaller ones are pretty darned small. The redesign changes that considerably, so it's hard to say. But I'd still say to go with the two largest handled pans. The 15 is very small, almost a novelty. Almost. I end up using it more than I thought I would... usually when the stovetop starts to get crowded. It still gets used less than anything else though. I've always wanted to try the paella version, because i think that'd be great to cook and then serve to guests individually. The only reason I didn't get one of the 15cm paellas is that I fear I'd end up buying eight of them.

I am also a fan of the Number 34 paella, though I've never actually cooked paella in it. Thick, spacious, heavy... It's almost like someone took a big heavy cast iron dutch oven and just lopped of everything except the bottom two and a half inches (or however tall it is). For a big, flat searing surface it's hard to beat. Its walls are high enough to shallow fry, as you saw in my chicken video above. It's also where I make my pancakes. It kind of just lives on my stovetop. I use it more than I thought I would.

I cannot even begin to imagine how large the Number 50 is in person. It's even thicker than their other pans, apparently. Weighs 7kg. That's over 15lbs, if you count in the King's English. I bet it would rock the party on my wok burner. Definitely a "special occasion" or "professional/catering" sort of thing. Looks awesome though.

Anyway, I can't say that I'm feeling the need to buy anything since I already have a full set of handled models. If they'd made a Number 31 available, I would have gotten it and replaced my Matfer. And if I had infinity billion dollars, I'd buy two of every animal and buy a set for you fine folks as well. But I don't. The redesign and the new paellas are an exciting move. One of my only complaints of the Dartos was that the flare was a bit too gradual so that the actual cooking surface of the pan was much smaller than its total diameter would leave you to believe. That lead the pans to cook like they were smaller than they are (though the 27 is still pretty dang big). That's been fixed in the redesign, and the slope of the walls is supposed to improve the saute action. If that's all true, it's a win win. 

And +1 to the notion of using the little paellas in the CSO.  That sounds like a dangerously good idea.

On 4/26/2018 at 4:43 PM, Hassouni said:

Dope soundtrack!

Spoonie G and the Treacherous Three's "New Rap Language." From 1980. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

btbyrd

btbyrd

I use the largest ones the most, in part because the flared edges mean the smaller ones are pretty darned small. The redesign changes that considerably, so it's hard to say. But I'd still say to go with the two largest handled pans. The 15 is very small, almost a novelty. Almost. I end up using it more than I thought I would... usually when the stovetop starts to get crowded. It still gets used less than anything else though. I've always wanted to try the paella version, because i think that'd be great to cook and then serve to guests individually. The only reason I didn't get one of the 15cm paellas is that I fear I'd end up buying eight of them.

I am also a fan of the Number 34 paella, though I've never actually cooked paella in it. Thick, spacious, heavy... It's almost like someone took a big heavy cast iron dutch oven and just lopped of everything except the bottom two and a half inches (or however tall it is). For a big, flat searing surface it's hard to beat. Its walls are high enough to shallow fry, as you saw in my chicken video above. It's also where I make my pancakes. It kind of just lives on my stovetop. I use it more than I thought I would.

I cannot even begin to imagine how large the Number 50 is in person. It's even thicker than their other pans, apparently. Weighs 7kg. That's over 15lbs, if you count in the King's English. I bet it would rock the party on my wok burner. Definitely a "special occasion" or "professional/catering" sort of thing. Looks awesome though.

Anyway, I can't say that I'm feeling the need to buy anything since I already have a full set of handled models. If they'd made a Number 31 available, I would have gotten it and replaced my Matfer. And if I had infinity billion dollars, I'd buy two of every animal and buy a set for you fine folks as well. But I don't. The redesign and the new paellas are an exciting move. One of my only complaints of the Dartos was that the flare was a bit too gradual so that the actual cooking surface of the pan was much smaller than its total diameter would leave you to believe. That lead the pans to cook like they were smaller than they are (though the 27 is still pretty dang big). That's been fixed in the redesign, and the slope of the walls is supposed to improve the saute action. If that's all true, it's a win win. 

And +1 to the notion of using the little paellas in the CSO.  That sounds like a dangerously good idea.