• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

From a performance standpoint, I don't know that the Dartos are significantly different from other carbon steel pans of the same thickness. The main advantages of carbon steel are in its thermal mass and its kinda-sorta-mostly nonstick properties, and those are things you get with any carbon steel pan of sufficient thickness. I don't know that any Darto or Matfer or deBuyer carbon steel will outcook another Darto or Matfer or deBuyer that's the same thickness. From a cooking perspective, they're all pretty similar. The main reasons I like the Darto stuff go beyond performance. Darto is an extremely small company focusing on making basically one product. Their pans have the look and feel of something made by a craftsperson rather than something made in giant factory by robots or anonymous worker bees. And they're quite reasonably priced, even if they do cost a bit more than something from a larger manufacturer. The seamless design is something that, to my knowledge, only one other company does, and their pans are much more expensive. And I just think the Dartos look cool. They elicit comments. The same can't be said of my Matfer.

btbyrd

btbyrd

From a performance standpoint, I don't know that the Dartos are significantly different from other carbon steel pans of the same thickness. The main advantages of carbon steel are in its thermal mass and its kinda-sorta-mostly nonstick properties, and those are things you get with any pan of sufficient thickness. I don't know that any Darto or Matfer or deBuyer carbon steel will outcook another Darto or Matfer or deBuyer that's the same thickness. From a cooking perspective, they're all pretty similar. The main reasons I like the Darto stuff go beyond performance. Darto is an extremely small company focusing on making basically one product. Their pans have the look and feel of something made by a craftsperson rather than something made in giant factory by robots or anonymous worker bees. And they're quite reasonably priced, even if they do cost a bit more than something from a larger manufacturer. The seamless design is something that, to my knowledge, only one other company does, and their pans are much more expensive. And I just think the Dartos look cool. They elicit comments. The same can't be said of my Matfer.