• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

Back the in the day in America, perhaps around the time of Charlie Chan movies, Oriental meant far east (i.e. China, Japan, etc.).  For some reason (perhaps Charlie Chan) that came to be viewed as politically incorrect and Asia/Asian was substituted.  But that only muddied the picture as Asia (Afghanistan, Persia/Iran, etc) was expanded to include the far east (or the somewhat nearer west if you're in California).

That's not meant to be a definitive historical statement, but simply my observation of how the words seem to have evolved during my lifetime.

But anyway....

ORIENTAL SANDWICH 

Mix one cake of cream cheese with a little maple 
syrup, then add sliced maraschino cherries. Place be- 
tween thin slices of lightly buttered bread. Garnish 
with a spray of smilax and a cherry.

This doesn't vaguely sound asian or oriental.  Not even earthly, really.

And BTW, do not even think of doing the the drinking game I was going to suggest while reading this book - taking a shot whenever you read 'lightly buttered bread'.  You would surely die.

Wait, what the hell is 'smilax'?

IndyRob

IndyRob

Back the in day in America, perhaps around the time of Charlie Chan movies, Oriental meant far east (i.e. China, Japan, etc.).  For some reason (perhaps Charlie Chan) that came to be viewed as politically incorrect and Asia/Asian was substituted.  But that only muddied the picture as Asia (Afghanistan, Persia/Iran, etc) was expanded to include the far east (or the somewhat nearer west if you're in California).

That's not meant to be a definitive historical statement, but simply my observation of how the words seem to have evolved during my lifetime.

But anyway....

ORIENTAL SANDWICH 

And BTW, do not even think of doing the the drinking game I was going to suggest while reading this book - taking a shot whenever you read 'lightly buttered bread'.  You would surely die.

Wait, what the hell is 'smilax'?

IndyRob

IndyRob

Back the in day in America, perhaps around the time of Charlie Chan movies, Oriental meant far east (i.e. China, Japan, etc.).  For some reason (perhaps Charlie Chan) that came to be viewed as politically incorrect and Asia/Asian was substituted.  But that only muddied the picture as Asia (Afghanistan, Persia/Iran, etc) was expanded to include the far east (or the somewhat nearer west if you're in California).

But anyway....

ORIENTAL SANDWICH 

Wait, what's 'smilax'?