• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

54 minutes ago, Anna N said:

What a great find. I think what surprised me was how "modern" the ingredients seemed. Olive oil, canned sardines and anchovies. Wonder if the mayo was also jarred. Probably my time frame is skewed a bit. Thanks for posting this. 

I don't know how modern those things are in the USA, but certainly, when I was a youngster in the UK, olive oil was only found in what we called chemist shops and, I believe, you call drug stores. For removing ear wax! (Of course, there is nothing modern about olive oil at all; it has been used for millennia.)

Canned sardines were around, but I don't know if the canning process today is what she means. I had never even heard of anchovies, canned or otherwise, until I was well into my 30s. No idea about mayo.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed as much as I did.

Public Domain Review is well worth following - some stuff is culinary; most is not. But always something interesting.

liuzhou

liuzhou

44 minutes ago, Anna N said:

What a great find. I think what surprised me was how "modern" the ingredients seemed. Olive oil, canned sardines and anchovies. Wonder if the mayo was also jarred. Probably my time frame is skewed a bit. Thanks for posting this. 

I don't know how modern those things are in the USA, but certainly, when I was a youngster, olive oil was only found in what we called chemists and, I believe, you call drug stores. For removing ear wax! (Of course, there is nothing modern about olive oil at all; it has been used for millennia.)

Canned sardines were around, but I don't know if the canning process today is what she means. I had never even heard of anchovies, canned or otherwise, until I was well into my 30s. No idea about mayo.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed as much as I did.

Public Domain Review is well worth following - some stuff is culinary; some is not. But always something interesting.