• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

I've had no trouble with zip-locs.

Re browning in the oven. That will undo some of the SV benefits. The oven isn't hot enough and air too poor a conductor to rapidly brown the surface. Instead it will be slow and thereby let a large portion of the meat to rise well past your target temp (which is well under the browning temp). It wouldn't ruin it, but...

So I'd try for a pan with hot oil or a torch to brown it if possible. If the oven is it, then I think I'd at least broil it quickly.

gfweb

gfweb

I've had no trouble with zip-locs.

Re browning in the oven. That will undo some of the SV benefits. The oven isn't hot enough and air too poor a conductor to rapidly brown the surface. Instead it will be slow and thereby let a large portion of the meat to rise well past your target temp (which is well under the browning temp). 

So I'd try for a pan with hot oil or a torch to brown it if possible. If the oven is it, then I think I'd at least broil it quickly.